maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   PIM apps summary (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=17142)

rhkuo 2008-02-25 04:07

PIM apps summary

I've been rooting around the forums in an attempt to find a good PIM solution. Just thought I'd briefly summarize the apps I've found, as there are several. Unfortunately none of them seem to offer a complete solution.

1. PalmOS via Garnet VM
http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/

2. GPE suite
http://www.cobb.uk.net/NokiaIT/index.html#gpe

3. Pimlico
http://www.pimlico-project.org/

4. Osmo
see http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=14774

5. Kde PIMPI
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kdepimpi/

I have tried all of the above except for KDEPIMPI. PalmOS/GVM would be the best short-term solution as it appears to have the most robust and easy to set up sync capability. Many people have gotten this to work, however I've encountered a bug with the addresses in the contact list not synching.

The Pimlico solution appears to be a simplified version of the GPE suite. I prefer GPE over Pimlico because I think it looks better and has a few more features. I may migrate to this one if I can't get PalmOS to work.

Osmo is a single integrated solution that looks promising though there are a few graphical bugs.

Haven't tried kdepimpi as it appears experimental, however if someone could comment on its usability it would be appreciated.

Any info on which ones are/aren't in active development would be helpful. Many of us are wondering if there is any hope for a useable PIM app in the future. Are there any other ones I've missed that are worth trying?

Zebee 2008-02-25 09:35

Re: PIM apps summary

Gene cash's apps from http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/nokia/index.html if you have 2007.

(Probably best to specify OS if it matters, as not everyone's on 2008)

Zebee

Aisu 2008-02-25 11:34

Winzig (I think that's the name) works on os 2008. It's a little PIM.

polossatik 2008-02-25 16:42

Nice Idea, maybe this might be added to the wiki or make a stiky out of it.

My steps to install GPE sucessfully with google calendar sync using Erminig
Install GPE from http://cobb.uk.net/NokiaIT/index.html#gpe
(everything except starling and in the order listed there)
Then install python 2.5 (make sure the application manager is closed) : http://pymaemo.garage.maemo.org/installation.html
and then install Erminig From here http://david.hautbois.free.fr/joomla...d=46&Itemid=46

z2n 2008-02-25 19:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by rhkuo (Post 147323)
5. Kde PIMPI
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kdepimpi/

SNIP!

Haven't tried kdepimpi as it appears experimental, however if someone could comment on its usability it would be appreciated.

I agree that kdepimpi on Nokia (Maemo Chinook) is "experimental". However, the basic application is about 5 years old, and is extremely stable on other platforms (Linux desktop, Windows, Sharp Zaurus with Openzaurus or the Sharp ROM).

At this point, the calendar app (kopi) is about 80% fully-functional on the tablet. Notable issues are some missing icons, non-functional "zoom-on-click" to view individual items, and some people have reported crashes. The contacts list application (kapi) starts up, but wasn't compiled with access to certain files required to load or save data, so it's less useful.

I'm nominally heading the project, but I'm really not a developer...I think that the problems aren't very great, and could be fixed pretty easily by someone with more experience.

Any assistance would be geatly appreciated. Please contact me directly or check out the project at https://garage.maemo.org/projects/kdepimpi
I suggest that people to try the desktop version, since it can save files in ical/vcal/vcardformats, making data exchange to many other programs possible.

rhkuo 2008-02-26 20:46

Thanks for your replies. If there is enough interest I would be willing to maintain the info in a sticky thread or wiki, but I'd need help getting started as I've never done it before.

In my opinion the current PIM functionality is still lacking a solid solution. Hopefully if we can keep this info current it might encourage continued development.

brecklundin 2008-02-26 21:35

You have my vote to keep it in the mind of developers. A mobile computer w/o good PIM functionality is almost pointless really. Lacking these sorts of applications would seem to make the tablets look like "toy" devices not for something real world users would expect from them. If there was a PalmOS device like the NIT's I would switch tomorrow. And that is solely because of the lack of info management applications in favor of multi-media apps.

miind 2008-02-27 07:04

rhkuo, I wote for a wikipage for this! I will gladly help you maintain it since im a heavy pim user on the n800.. and im also desperate for good and better pim software. Right now Im using GPE calendar syncing it with my google calender with erming.. that give me basic calendar functionality tough I realy think the gui in GPE calendar is crap. For tasks I use gTodo, its good enough but thats barely. :)

Navi 2008-02-27 07:15

Currently using GPE. Pimlico looks nice and it has built-in syncing too.

tso 2008-02-27 13:50

pimlico do not have working sync yet that i know off. gpe will work with opensync if one install gpesyncd. only thing really missing is a gui for settting up said sync on the tablet side.

but i would love it if we could get opensync on the tablett as then it could in theory sync with just about anything.

EIPI 2008-02-27 14:08

There is currently a wiki spot for PIM. If you want to add to it, or flesh it out more, please do so.

mathew.chacko 2008-02-27 14:57

I liked Pimlico dates look and feel than GPE calender. I sync Pimlico one way by downloading Google calender .ics file and import the same.

tso 2008-02-27 15:16

well thats one way of doing it ;)

now, if one could get opensync to do its thing over bluetooth rater then wifi...

rhkuo 2008-02-27 16:46

Woops, I didn't realize there was already a wiki page for this. I'm new here, sorry about that. I'll check it out and see what updates I can add.

I didn't know about the opensync solution. Hopefully I can figure out how to import my contacts through the desktop.

bluesubaru 2008-02-27 19:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by mathew.chacko (Post 148565)
I liked Pimlico dates look and feel than GPE calender. I sync Pimlico one way by downloading Google calender .ics file and import the same.

Pimlico dates will sync directly (one way). Just enter in your shared icalendar link from google calendar

squad_com 2008-03-16 01:19

I hope it will be possible to sync my N800 with my Nokia 6230 phone through bluetooth.

z2n 2008-12-03 08:41

Major Announcement

I've just discovered that the latest version of KDEPIMPI (2.10), compiled for the Open Embedded project, combined with the libqt-mt.so.3 library (for Zaurus qt3 compatibility) produce a working, stable, PIM suite. The menus, icons, and functions are much better, though it isn't Hildonized. The calendar/to-list is much better, the address book is fully functional, and synchronizing works. The mail progam (ompi) and cell-phone data exchange (kammu, based on gammu) each run but are untested.

Many thanks to: Zautrix (the original author of KDEPIMPI), yonggun on OESF for compiling the package, and tz1 for the qt3 library.

The ".deb" package of the compiled kdepimpi suite is now available for download from the kdepimpi Maemo Garage site. Please see the brief installation notes on that site.

Here's a link to the OESF page with a .deb package of kdepimpi.

Here's a link to the libqt-mt.so.3 library which must be installed before kdepimpi.

Installation Instructions
The following instructions are intended for use via the command line. They
assume that you have sufficient space (~35MB) in /opt, and require commands to
be run with root privileges.

1. install the libqt3 package first.
Code:

wget -nd http://www.zdez.org/libqt3-3.3.deb ; dpkg -i libqt3-3.3.deb
2. install kdepimpi as root with:
Code:

dpkg -i --force-depends kdepimpi_2.2.10_armel.deb
3. append the kdepimpi library directory to the ld.so.conf file:
Code:

echo /opt/kdepimpi >> /etc/ld.so.conf
4. rebuild the library cache:
Code:

ldconfig
5. move the desktop launcher files to the proper directory:
Code:

cd /usr/share/applications ; mv kapi-desk.desktop kopi-desk.desktop kopiemail.desktop kppi-desk.desktop hildon
6. Create the "playwave" file to replace the "playwave" command called by kdepimpi, allowing audible alarms:

Quote:

cat > /usr/bin/playwave << 'E-O-FILE'
#! /bin/sh
# dummy script to replace playwave as called by kopi. Save this as "playwave" in a
# directory that's in your $PATH
soundfile=$3
exec play-sound $soundfile
E-O-FILE
chmod +x /usr/bin/playwave

lardman 2008-12-03 09:56

There's also a wiki page here that people might like to look at and add to/edit: http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:PIM

BoxOfSnoo 2008-12-03 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2n (Post 246475)
Major Announcement

I've just discovered that the latest version of KDEPIMPI (2.10), compiled for the Open Embedded project, combined with the libqt-mt.so.3 library (for Zaurus qt3 compatibility) produce a working, stable, PIM suite.

Great news, any chance of attaching the .deb here? Or hosting them yourself?

Screenshots might help too. Thanks again.

munky261 2008-12-03 18:20

it wont let me download the deb for kdepimpi from that page, can you post it here?

z2n 2008-12-03 19:06

The ".deb" package of the compiled kdepimpi suite is now available for download from the kdepimpi Maemo Garage site. Please see the brief installation notes on that site.

allnameswereout 2008-12-03 19:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by lardman (Post 246484)
There's also a wiki page here that people might like to look at and add to/edit: http://wiki.maemo.org/Task:PIM

Please, also read this ITT thread Did you say PIM? Come here please.

Also, some folks who are studying usability in a (fictionable) maemo organizer (pim) share their project work here.

munky261 2008-12-03 19:56

i followed all the directions and none of the apps will open

z2n 2008-12-03 20:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by munky261 (Post 246601)
i followed all the directions and none of the apps will open

How long is a piece of string?

Without more details, such as:
  • the hardware platform you're using
  • the OS you're using
  • the commands you gave to try to "open" the apps
  • error messages
  • screen shots of terminal text transcripts
  • etc

it's virtually impossible for anyone to provide any meaningful assistance.

Please see How To Report Bugs Effectively and try again.

munky261 2008-12-03 20:15

im running an N810 with the latest diablo, and when i tap the applications menu entry..nothing happens.

z2n 2008-12-03 20:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by munky261 (Post 246607)
im running an N810 with the latest diablo, and when i tap the applications menu entry..nothing happens.

OK....the basics sound good (1. a machine with a hardware keyboard, 2. the same OS as I'm using successfully, 3. the "tap the applications menu entry" implies that kdepimpi was actually installed).

Have you tried running any of the applications from the command line? That's the only way to get meaningful error messages. Try:

/opt/kdepimpi/kopi
/opt/kdepimpi/kapi

You should be able to run those commands under the "user" account (not root).

If you get messages about library files (such as libqt-mt.so.3 or libmicrokdepim.so.1.0) not being found, then double-check the /etc/ld.so.conf file for the "/opt/kdepimpi" entry and re-run ldconfig (as root).

munky261 2008-12-03 20:45

did that and there was no entry there....re ran ldconfig and still no luck. how do i uninstall everything, including the libqt3 package?

asys3 2008-12-03 21:03

Great!
I missed kopi from my Zaurus times so much and I'm happy you managed that port.
And I'm happy to hear that Zautrix is still active.
Perhaps he can implement Bluetooth synching now?

I see that that port is much,much faster than a hildonization ever can be!

Really good work!
Many thanks!

One bug I realized: Synching of birthdays from kapi doesn't already work.

asys3

z2n 2008-12-03 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by munky261 (Post 246619)
did that and there was no entry there....re ran ldconfig and still no luck. how do i uninstall everything, including the libqt3 package?

What "that" did you do? What command[s], exactly.

What do you mean "there was no entry" (what kind of "entry"), and where is "there" (file name, directory, menu item, etc.)?

Without a precise description of the problem, it's virtually impossible for anyone to provide meaningful help.

If you want help, please read How to Report Bugs Effectively, particularly the bullet-point "Be careful of pronouns.", near the end, and try again.

BoxOfSnoo 2008-12-03 21:19

Got it installed and running on my n800, yep it's nice and quick! Need keyboard of course...

z2n 2008-12-03 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by asys3 (Post 246627)
Great!
I missed kopi from my Zaurus times so much and I'm happy you managed that port.

I really can't take credit. I tried a port of kdepimpi, and it semi-almost-sort-of-somewhat worked, but certainly not well enough for anyone who wasn't very familiar with the program.

The binaries on the kdempimpi Garage site were ported by yonggun for OESF, and the libqt3 package is from ts1...I just discovered that they work together under Maemo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asys3 (Post 246627)
And I'm happy to hear that Zautrix is still active.
Perhaps he can implement Bluetooth synching now?

Um, I wouldn't expect too much...he's been very difficult to get in touch with, and updates have been "sporadic". It is exciting that other communities (OESF, Open Bossa) are also showing interest in kdepimpi.

munky261 2008-12-03 22:59

has anybody got any screenshots of it in action yet, particularly the address book? and again, i ask, how do i uninstall everything including the libqt3 package?

asys3 2008-12-04 09:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by munky261 (Post 246665)
has anybody got any screenshots of it in action yet, particularly the address book? and again, i ask, how do i uninstall everything including the libqt3 package?

Uninstalling should work easiliy with
Code:

dpkg -r [packagename]
instead of installing with
Code:

dpkg -i [packagename]

But you won't uninstall it once installed :D

munky261 2008-12-05 16:19

Still no screenshots??

FGol 2008-12-09 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2n (Post 246578)

Thank you. I installed the 2.2.10 deb and followed the installation instructions.
Address book and calendar imported from GPE with only a few tweaks so that's a big win.

Only issue is the bottoms of the address main screen and pop up dialogs are below the physical screen. It's as if the geometry calculation does not take into account the width of the hildon top border (not sure if that's the correct term; it's the top border where the app names aappear where I'd tap if it had a hildon menu.) The impact is Icannot tap Ok or Cancel in the pop up dialog (hard keys work though) or scroll the main screen to the bottom of the address list, see the last two entries, and scroll the list horizontally.

HW: N810

Thank you again,
Frank

z2n 2008-12-09 19:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by FGol (Post 248143)
Thank you. I installed the 2.2.10 deb and followed the installation instructions.

Glad to hear that it works well for you too.
Quote:

Only issue is the bottoms of the address main screen and pop up dialogs are below the physical screen. It's as if the geometry calculation does not take into account the width of the hildon top border

I think that your analysis is absolutely correct. I have the same issue.

Actually, I had the same issue...I recently changed the DIALOGMODE setting in the
Code:

/etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
file to "free" (note that this must be in lower case!), which allows me to move the dialog boxes and pop-up windows around, meaning that I can click on all the buttons.

This hack, and other tricks, comes from the Hacking Matchbox thread.
Quote:

HW: N810

Thank you again,
Frank

You're welcome.

FGol 2008-12-10 16:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2n (Post 248238)
Glad to hear that it works well for you too.

Actually, I had the same issue...I recently changed the DIALOGMODE setting in the
Code:

/etc/osso-af-init/matchbox.defs
file to "Free", which allows me to move the dialog boxes and pop-up windows around, meaning that I can click on all the buttons.

Hey z2n - very cool tip. Thank you.

- Yes, changing DIALOGMODE to free works great with the pop up dialogs. They appear high enough with the buttons visible (I didn't have to move it.) The dialog title is off the screen but that's no big deal at all.

- I saw TITLEBAR and changed that to no to see what would happen. In that case the whole address book main window more or less fits in the screen so I can see the name list from top to bottom (No bottom scroll bar though.) Only problem is the applet area imposes itself on the menu / smart icon area of the address book. It's something I can live with except in other OSSI apps, like calendar, it covers up more significant buttons.

So... I'd prefer to keep TITLEBAR set to yes. Can the geometry of the address book main window be shortened a bit to allow it all to fit with the hildon titlebar?

Thank you again,
Frank

munky261 2008-12-10 22:03

Can we PLEASE get a screenshot or two???

asys3 2008-12-10 22:46

4 Attachment(s)
Here are 2 screenshots from kopi (organizer) and 2 from kapi (addressbook).

The default language is english - I switched to german.
So all menus are english if you want.

asys3

allnameswereout 2008-12-11 12:14

:( looks ugly with Hildon...