maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   3.4.0 - Pallas-Yllästunturi (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101105)

Bundyo 2020-09-29 17:35

3.4.0 - Pallas-Yllästunturi

A new early access is available.

Release notes:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/relea...uri-3-4-0/2258

Changelog:
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/chang...uri-3-4-0/2214.

There are bugs, so make sure to check the threads about them in the new Sailfish OS Forums.

Also make sure to update Aliendalvik control to 9.3+ beforehand. (and remove Coderus overlay apps for the moment, as they crash the device with 3.4 (and Phonehook))

Some highlights from the changelog:
  • Multi-user support, including guests
  • Huge update to Alien Dalvik, including enabling telephony and SMS sending from inside it. Developer page is also back
  • Sailfish Browser is now based on ESR 52. There are numerous updates to the embedlite components engine, probably for better integration with SFOS.
  • Email now uses Gecko WebView to show mails
  • Enable OpenGL ES 3.0, looks Qt5 now uses it
  • Added some kind of Firejail support
  • Added Rust to the SDK

According to the forums, there are numerous bugs reported after upgrading, so if your phone is a main driver, you might want to hold off for now.

Tell me if I'm missing something.

peterleinchen 2020-09-29 19:59

Re: 3.4.0 - Pallas-Yllästunturi

Please see also (if you develop on docker)
https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...2&postcount=19

taixzo 2020-09-29 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1569429)
  • Huge update to Alien Dalvik, including enabling telephony and SMS sending from inside it. Developer page is also back

Interesting. I wonder whether that will allow placing calls via Google Voice now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1569429)
  • Email now uses Gecko WebView to show mails

Uh-oh. That sounds like it will break the "Silica Email" patch and we will be stuck with blinding white email backgrounds again.

coderus 2020-09-29 23:38

Phonehook and other overlay apps causing "brick"/black screen/etc. Update carefully.

Check all bug reports at https://forum.sailfishos.org/latest before update

A big WTF to Jolla

peterleinchen 2020-09-30 05:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1569434)
Phonehook and other overlay apps causing "brick"/black screen/etc. Update carefully.

Check all bug reports at https://forum.sailfishos.org/latest before update

A big WTF to Jolla

Uh, oh! :eek:
Clear words.

Seems I am going to need to stay another few months on 3.2.1.xx?
There are really a lot of bug reports popping up on FSO ...

eson 2020-09-30 05:50

Had to reconfigure wifi and vpn connection, and reinstall Storeman, otherwise it looks like everything is working.

mosen 2020-09-30 11:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1569437)
Uh, oh! :eek:
Clear words.

Seems I am going to need to stay another few months on 3.2.1.xx?
There are really a lot of bug reports popping up on FSO ...

What keeps you from 3.3.0.16?
Still not personally "Approved" for which reasons?
I am running it since EA release without trouble tbh. :confused:

chenliangchen 2020-09-30 12:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1569442)
What keeps you from 3.3.0.16?
Still not personally "Approved" for which reasons?
I am running it since EA release without trouble tbh. :confused:

On my various X and community devices since 3.3 GPS for sailfish os completely stopped working. Only when under Android with Gservice configured. ;)

robthebold 2020-09-30 13:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1569443)
On my various X and community devices since 3.3 GPS for sailfish os completely stopped working. Only when under Android with Gservice configured. ;)

GPS lock has gotten really slow for me in 3.3 X, but not completely non-functional. But Kuri and Laufhelden seem to crash after a while for a reason that I have yet to analyze. But I too often do take a very long time to do a version update.

mosen 2020-09-30 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1569443)

Oh, my impression was this effects all sfos versions since the culprit seems to be mozilla nerfing the MLS (Mozilla location services) API Qouta?
Is GPS still working with no regression on pre 3.3?

For the Pro¹ 3.3 sfos i see it takes 5-10 minutes to get first fix which i work around by having GPSinfo app running in the background if i plan to navigate and need fast fixes.

robthebold 2020-09-30 16:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1569445)
Oh, my impression was this effects all sfos versions since the culprit seems to be mozilla nerfing the MLS (Mozilla location services) API Qouta?
Is GPS still working with no regression on pre 3.3?

For the Pro¹ 3.3 sfos i see it takes 5-10 minutes to get first fix which i work around by having GPSinfo app running in the background if i plan to navigate and need fast fixes.

Given the timing of when I did the 3.1->3.2->3.3 update, I honestly can't be 100% certain whether it was the update or coincidental timing of the service change . . .

BluesLee 2020-09-30 18:59

OTA -> bricked -> recovery etc. -> ssh -> version -dup

Anyone knows how to get multimedia working again? Hardware volume buttons don't work anymore, play/pause within music players, camera app shows black screen. I use a XA2 Plus here.

ps 13 reboots fixed the issue:-)

olympus 2020-09-30 20:11

I managed to brick my device while downloading the new update. was uninstaling alien dalvik control and it got stuck so i rebooted. boom, stuck on sony logo. kudos to me!

LouisDK 2020-09-30 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by olympus (Post 1569459)
I managed to brick my device while downloading the new update. was uninstaling alien dalvik control and it got stuck so i rebooted. boom, stuck on sony logo. kudos to me!

Can you enter recovery mode: https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/a...-Recovery-Mode ?

olympus 2020-10-01 06:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisDK (Post 1569461)

I figured it’s time to reflash it anyway. I’m on 3.4.0. now but didn’t have much time to test it yet.

Japsi 2020-10-01 09:40

Any one else having a feature that after every boot orientation of Android apps stop working. When I refresh homescreen everything works again. First I thought it was because of some patch but situation stays the same even all patches are unapplied.

juiceme 2020-10-01 11:01

I have to say this update is wonderful for the browser functionality!

Lots of the websites that caused problems or were not rendered properly like verkkokauppa.com and linkedin.com are now usable on sailfish browser :) :)

olympus 2020-10-01 16:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by olympus (Post 1569464)
I figured it’s time to reflash it anyway. I’m on 3.4.0. now but didn’t have much time to test it yet.

after a clean flash and update to 3.4.0. alien dalvik doesn't work for me.

gaelic 2020-10-01 18:49

This update may bring me back to Sailfish. But I will definitely wait for a stable and bugfixed release.

The browser and email folders were my biggest struggles.
I also wanna wait if GPS gets fixed for the X 10 (was unusable with 3.3) and if element-android will run also with videocalls.

cy8aer 2020-10-01 19:50

They should make two charges of installing packs. IMHO the image is too big (bricked too, android broken after update, deleted /home/.android).

I did not know that the Mozilla support for localizing does not work anymore (can be set but it is not functional anymore).

What I learned: Put restic (16MB) not into /usr/local/bin...

peterleinchen 2020-10-01 23:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1569489)
What I learned: Put restic (16MB) not into /usr/local/bin...

May I ask why?

mosen 2020-10-02 13:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1569484)
I did not know that the Mozilla support for localizing does not work anymore (can be set but it is not functional anymore).

The timing fits to explain GPS stopped working "with" 3.3 sfos release on April the first, since the Mozilla announcement said:

Quote:

Existing keys will expire on March 1, 2020. We encourage non-commercial users to re-apply for continued use of the service. Keys for a small number of commercial users that have been exceeding request limits will expire sooner.
https://blog.mozilla.org/services/20...ation-service/

The possible correlation is easy to test if someone on 3.2 checks wether MLS (aka A-GPS?) still works.

peterleinchen 2020-10-03 06:47

I am afraid no.
With N900 and GPRS data enabled one had a fix within seconds.

But on XA2 it takes at least 30seconds or minutes...

I asked Jolla via Zendesk abiut the status of MLS in SFOS but got no answer yet :(
https://forum.sailfishos.org/t/gps-s...orking/1181/41

juiceme 2020-10-03 12:34

I use GPS tracking with Rena and PureMaps quite a lot and I have not had problems with positioning for a long time. in some SFOS release 2-something there used to be such hiccups that GPS got into state that there was no lock and it did not recover power cycling but that was ages ago...
Using 3.4.0.22 now on XperiaX

cy8aer 2020-10-03 16:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1569488)
May I ask why?

Because I was stupid. Just another 16M which helped to crash my system on update to 3.4.0.22. /usr/local/bin is in the small system partition. And I did not think about restic when I tried to cleanup space.

Ahem I now have put it into ~/bin and expanded PATH. This is - of course - the better solution: No devel-su needed, no system memory, better for ansible...

Sorry for that. And I may say: for recovering restic helped much.

peterleinchen 2020-10-03 19:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1569500)
Because I was stupid. Just another 16M ...

Ah, that makes sense :D

Quote:

Sorry for that. And I may say: for recovering restic helped much.
No need to be sorry.
I was just alarmed as I have it also there.
But still 1.5G free on system partition so should be fine.
Thanks for clarification.

cy8aer 2020-10-05 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1569501)
No need to be sorry.

I am sorry because I made a little instruction to put it into /usr/local/bin somewhere and I would be one cause of update desaster when the partition was too full...

peterleinchen 2020-10-05 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1569521)
I am sorry because I made a little instruction to put it into /usr/local/bin somewhere and I would be one cause of update desaster when the partition was too full...

No way!
Putting a small 16MB of additional binaries on / is definitely not the cause for an update desaster. This has to be directed to those who design such and let the update start (even if done from CLI) on devices which do not fulfill the need. Ran into this on vanilla JollaC once.
Good that I stll have 1.5G left (tuned XA2), phew...

cy8aer 2020-10-07 08:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1569522)
No way!
Putting a small 16MB of additional binaries on / is definitely not the cause for an update desaster.

Of course not. But if you are trying to clean your partition from applications and/or data and it does not shrink enough this could be the last tiny bit...

Fellfrosch 2020-10-07 15:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by cy8aer (Post 1569551)
Of course not. But if you are trying to clean your partition from applications and/or data and it does not shrink enough this could be the last tiny bit...

Well if you see it that way, we should close down Storeman and Jolla Store. Installing apps generally make use of space in root....:D

olf 2020-10-07 23:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1569553)
[...] Installing apps generally make use of space in root....:D

Per https://together.jolla.com/question/...vm-volume-size all these tedious workarounds become unnecessary.

I cannot comprehend, why Jolla still sticks to 2500 MB root volume size per default, despite numerous bug reports since 2015 (when they started using LVM), a pull request in their Git etc.

Well, the logic "this only affects power users and they shall be able to help themselves" is dreaded, but has some appeal:
So help yourself (because Jolla won't)!

peterleinchen 2020-10-08 06:31

Yes!

This was the first thing (extend to 4G, now having 2.5G used!) when I installed a fresh system. But doing this on a proven stable modded system is risky and I did not dare to do it on my JollaC. And of course ran into this design flaw.

Quote:

Originally Posted by olf
So help yourself (because Jolla won't)!

.This is unfortunately so true :(

olf 2020-10-08 21:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1569573)
[...]
But doing this on a proven stable modded system is risky [...]

No, not really, because no content of the root and home filesystems is altered, hence the SFOS installation proper stays untouched.

If there is not sufficient free space on the home filesystem to shrink it to the desired size in step 3.3.2.a.2 / 3.3.2.b.3 (as rendered at TJC; 3.3.2.a.9 / 3.3.2.b.10 as rendered at GitLab.com), this command will fail with an appropriate error message and no shrinking is carried out.
One just should not blindly keep executing the subsequent steps, then.

P.S.:
I just did not denote that section 3.3.2 works just as well on any other SFOS device, which uses LVM, plus old SFOS installations, because that opens up a lot of corner cases and failure modes (e.g., the one discussed above), I did not want to research and document.

P.P.S. / edit:
I forgot that the Jolla C = Intex Aquafish = Inoi R7 (= Jala Accione?) has only 16 GiB of eMMC (FLASH memory; the provided values were calculated for 32 and 64 GiB FLASH, as mentioned), so better check beforehand by calculation, that shrinking the home filesystem to 10 GiB frees at least as much space (rather a couple of 10 or 100 MB more) on the home LVM volume as you want to add to the root LVM volume. If not, you will have to shrink the home filesystem to less than 10 GiB (how much depends on the LVM space you want to re-designate).
See, a lot of special cases to consider, when broadening the scope beyond fresh SFOS installations on Xperias.

peterleinchen 2020-10-09 05:59

Explicit thanks for this head up. And the post scriptum!

I would definitively have to do that before daring to update old JollaC to 3.4...

pichlo 2020-10-09 14:36

1 Attachment(s)
Does this mean anything to anyone? It popped up upon accepting the 3.4.0.24 update:

Attachment 41314

I tried doing as it said, but the only two packages I managed to uninstall were libjpeg-turbo-jpeg8 and gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad - and I have my doubts about the latter, as it took half the other packages down with it, including the camera.

Everything else tells me this:
Code:

[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-base
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished
Fatal error: This request will break your system!
[root@Sailfish nemo]#

pichlo 2020-10-09 15:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1569602)
I have my doubts about the latter, as it took half the other packages down with it, including the camera.

Specifically, this:
Code:

[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished                                                                          [                                        ] (0%)
The following packages have to be removed:
 gstreamer1.0-droid-0.20200731.0-1.18.11.jolla.armv7hl  GStreamer droid plug-in contains elements using the Android HAL
 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-1.16.2+git2-6.armv7hl GStreamer streaming media framework "bad" plug-ins
 jolla-camera-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Jolla Camera application
 jolla-camera-lockscreen-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl    Quick capture viewfinder for the lockscreen.
 jolla-camera-settings-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Setting page for jolla-camera
 patterns-sailfish-applications-1.0.43.1-1.20.1.jolla.noarch    Sailfish Applicati
Removing
Removing packages
Resolving dependencies
Removing packages                                                                                                                    uFinished
[root@Sailfish nemo]#

(Pasting here mostly for my own records, since I have to unplug the phone from SSH and take it with me to collect the kids from school.)

robthebold 2020-10-09 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1569607)
Specifically, this:
Code:

[root@Sailfish nemo]# pkcon remove gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad
Resolving
Testing changes
Finished                                                                          [                                        ] (0%)
The following packages have to be removed:
 gstreamer1.0-droid-0.20200731.0-1.18.11.jolla.armv7hl  GStreamer droid plug-in contains elements using the Android HAL
 gstreamer1.0-plugins-bad-1.16.2+git2-6.armv7hl GStreamer streaming media framework "bad" plug-ins
 jolla-camera-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Jolla Camera application
 jolla-camera-lockscreen-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl    Quick capture viewfinder for the lockscreen.
 jolla-camera-settings-1.0.39-1.18.1.jolla.armv7hl      Setting page for jolla-camera
 patterns-sailfish-applications-1.0.43.1-1.20.1.jolla.noarch    Sailfish Applicati
Removing
Removing packages
Resolving dependencies
Removing packages                                                                                                                    uFinished
[root@Sailfish nemo]#

(Pasting here mostly for my own records, since I have to unplug the phone from SSH and take it with me to collect the kids from school.)

Eager to see updates on your progress myself before I try this, pretty sure I've got at least a few of these "offending" packages installed.

(Then I'll got get my kids at school too . . . oh wait, they're across the room sitting in front of homemade desks! Nevermind :( )

Maybe if I'm lucky my pinephone running SFOS off SD card will be "selected" for version upgrade before daily driver and I can do an almost zero-risk test.

PamNor 2020-10-09 18:47

I tried uninstall but didn't succeed. Started install from Gui and haven't had any problems. Don't understand the warning. I am now on 3.4.0.24.

pichlo 2020-10-09 23:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by PamNor (Post 1569614)
I tried uninstall but didn't succeed. Started install from Gui and haven't had any problems. Don't understand the warning. I am now on 3.4.0.24.

Did you mean you just ignored the warning? I tried that too but got a "system cannot be updated" error. After a reboot, I am still on 3.4.0.22. Only without Camera :( And with the list of things the GUI tells me to uninstall now is 15 pages long.

pichlo 2020-10-09 23:37

OK, an update. I ignored the second warning and tried again. This time the update worked and I am on 3.4.0.24.
Camera works, as does playing a random MP3 from my music library, despite removing those packages earlier. Fingers crossed.