maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Sailfish OS 3.2 for early Adaptor (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100865)

chilango 2019-10-29 15:30

Sailfish OS 3.2 for early Adaptor

Coderus announced 3.2.0.12

No VoIP improvement :(

Bundyo 2019-10-29 17:05

Re: Sailfish OS 3.2 for early Adaptor

Adopter != Adaptor :)

Also Jolla announced it.

And again no Qt 5.9.

atlochowski 2019-10-29 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1561310)
Adopter != Adaptor :)

Also Jolla announced it.

And again no Qt 5.9.

it is posponed to next year

Bundyo 2019-10-29 17:37

Not that I'm surprised. :)

chilango 2019-10-29 19:39

How many time we heard "soon"
VoIP I'am waiting since my beloved Jolla 1.
Now i'am on the XA2. It will be the last.
I'am still using my N9 traveling why there, i connect the phone with my Fritzbox with integrated Sip-Server and make calls wordwide for near free charges

pichlo 2019-10-30 08:37

I got a popup last night on both my devices.

The first impression: Patchmanager is totally broken.

atlochowski 2019-10-30 09:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561344)
I got a popup last night on both my devices.

The first impression: Patchmanager is totally broken.

No, not totally. You can apply patches but not by by pulley menu (it's broken).
You should open pulley menu at the main screen of Patchmanager and choose "load engine" after that if you tap on dot next to the patch you will enable it.

I have reported that to Coderus.

tmi 2019-10-30 12:53

It finally happened: the upgrade messed my J1... a good run though, almost 6 years.

The upgrade couldn't complete, told to reboot. I suspected something might go awry and lo&behold: grey screen.
There was enough space, no patches, yadda-yadda but the upgrade went nuts all the same. Tried with btrfs repair but didn't help. No biggie, was more of a toy nowadays.

After factory reset started to upgrade way back from 1.0.0.5 (it was nice to see SFOS 1 silica for a change :)) through the stop releases and got as far as 2.2.0.29 but then the upgrade to 3.0.0.8 refused to co-operate several times. Have to give it another look later... I'd hate to start all over again so maybe some of this helps.

EDIT: Success. First nothing seemed to help, but going through all the clean ups +
Code:

ssu re 2.2.0.29
pkcon refresh
pkcon update
reboot

and I was finally able to upgrade succesfully first to 3.0.0.8 and in the end to 3.2.0.12.

Bundyo 2019-10-30 19:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlochowski (Post 1561348)
No, not totally. You can apply patches but not by by pulley menu (it's broken).
You should open pulley menu at the main screen of Patchmanager and choose "load engine" after that if you tap on dot next to the patch you will enable it.

I have reported that to Coderus.

Are we talking about Patchmanager 3, as it is totally working?

atlochowski 2019-10-30 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1561360)

yes, about Patchmanager 3.
I'm using 'upcoming events on lockscreen' patch with Patchmanager 3 and SailfishOS 3.2.0.12

pichlo 2019-10-31 08:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1561360)

Yes, PM3. I would much rather use PM1 (far, far, far more intuitive and user friendly) but sadly, I no longer have the choice.

Jedibeeftrix 2019-11-01 09:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlochowski (Post 1561312)
it is posponed to next year

is there any point adopting 5.9 now?

the joy of lts is ongoing support, and at this point even 5.12 lts is getting long in the tooth!

----------------------------------------------

on a separate note i'm glad the browser got some fixes for twitter.

the change is important for apps like quickditt and tweetian are not to be rendered pointless, because the transfer to a browser function leaves the user with a borked experience.

two solutions:
1. fix the damned browser
2. allow user to select the preferred browser to transfer web calls from native apps

right now tweetian and quickditt remain unused - choosing firefox instead - because i'm done with being transferred to the broken native browser. it simply isn't good enough.

but its inadequacy is spoiling the SFOS experience with native apps, which is a real shame.

atlochowski 2019-11-02 12:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1561428)

the joy of lts is ongoing support, and at this point even 5.12 lts is getting long in the tooth!

the change is important for apps like quickditt and tweetian are not to be rendered pointless, because the transfer to a browser function leaves the user with a borked experience.

two solutions:
2. allow user to select the preferred browser to transfer web calls from native apps

right now tweetian and quickditt remain unused - choosing firefox instead - because i'm done with being transferred to the broken native browser. it simply isn't good enough.

but its inadequacy is spoiling the SFOS experience with native apps, which is a real shame.

Just Jolla had plans to update QT version this year but they posponetd it.

It's hard to say Jolla fixed browser for twitter. It is more workaround then fix. But for us it's good that we can open twitter in browser.

cy8aer 2019-11-02 14:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlochowski (Post 1561475)
It's hard to say Jolla fixed browser for twitter. It is more workaround then fix. But for use it's good that we can open twitter in browser.

Just to mention: For me the twitter stuff works again for some weeks with 3.1.0.12... This is no 3.2.0.12 thingie.

foufoutos 2019-11-02 15:08

so dead os:(

nthn 2019-11-03 08:53

Is it just me or is the TOHKBD no longer working? I haven't used mine for some time so I don't know if this is a new thing or not. The keyboard doesn't get recognised when attached.

ste-phan 2019-11-03 09:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jedibeeftrix (Post 1561428)

two solutions:

If I was the head of Jolla I'd say: dump the native browser. As a customer I surely say, start doing/improving what I need and that is not the native browser.

Fix SIP and other to be integrated primary communication protocols instead , then hunt for partnerships with Mozilla if not other browser developers. Hire a software wizard / geek that can port Fennec to Sailfish OS. I am sure if nicely asked there are people who would do this for free even.

Why do we need a 50 head development team try to compete browser wise with Mozilla?

How long did it take to have Fennec "running" if always out of RAM on N900? A couple of weeks, months? Why this hasn't happened for Sailifsh?

olf 2019-11-03 15:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1561501)
Is it just me or is the TOHKBD no longer working? I haven't used mine for some time so I don't know if this is a new thing or not. The keyboard doesn't get recognised when attached.

The same here: Tried in August with SFOS 2.2.1.
Did not take the time to analyse why, though.

MartinK 2019-11-03 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by ste-phan (Post 1561502)
If I was the head of Jolla I'd say: dump the native browser.

I don't think you can really do that - you simply need a native browser to be always available, even for stuff like captive portals on some WiFi hotspots. The Android emulation layer is (optionally) installed on first start, so you might need a native browser, so you can authenticate with with you hotspot to download Android support & install an Android browser.

Also in some cases Android emulation support is simply not available so an Android browser is out of the question:
  • community ports
  • Russian corporate devices reportedly don't have Android emulation by design
  • cases where the user opted to no use the Android emulation layer

Also, even if the Android emulation layer is available, it is quickly approaching obsolescence on all the older devices & Xperia X due to only suportiong Android 4.4.x API level, so it's possible up to date Android browsers will no longer run on it.

Quote:

As a customer I surely say, start doing/improving what I need and that is not the native browser.

Fix SIP and other to be integrated primary communication protocols instead , then hunt for partnerships with Mozilla if not other browser developers. Hire a software wizard / geek that can port Fennec to Sailfish OS. I am sure if nicely asked there are people who would do this for free even.

Well, the current default Sailfish Browser already uses the Firefox rendering core (Gecko) and there is actually not many alternatives:
  • WebKit is not in much of a good state, QtWebKit as well
  • QtWebEngine is hard to build even on Fedora due to horrendous amount of bundling & outdated GCC
  • Chromium - again horrendous amount of bundling, outdated GCC & not sure about Wayland support
  • Firefox - only recently added support for running natively on Wayland (in Fedora 31 released a couple days ago), might be hard to build due to outdated GCC

So older Firefox core is actually maybe the only thing usable in current circumstances.

Quote:

Why do we need a 50 head development team try to compete browser wise with Mozilla?

This is not correct - Jolla is not writing their own browser from scratch. The default Sailfish OS browser is just a thin layer that uses the Firefox 45 Gecko rendering core for all the actual website rendering.

AFAIK, the main issue why the browser if lagging behind is twofold:

1) Gecko does not really have a stable embedding interface, so for each Gecko upgrade, sizeable embedding patches need to be adjusted to all the code changes in the private APIs it has to use in the new Gecko version. This can be a significant endeavor.

I've talked to someone from the Mozilla community and apparently the new Firefox Preview on Android uses some new Gecko embedding API & can be used to provide a generic Gecko based web view to other Android applications. This could be a boon for Sailfish OS as well - if gecko needs to support embedding for Android, it could be possible to use the same API for embedding on Sailfish OS as well.

Also I seem to remember someone from Mozilla attending the Fosdem Sailfish OS meetup & discussing Gecko embedding improvements. So I guess things could improve in this case and hopefully make Gecko upgrades for the native Sailfish OS much less painful.

2) GCC & the overall library stack is currently too outdated to build modern versions of Gecko. IIRC glibc version has been bumped a bit recently, but we will likely be still stuck until GCC is finally upgraded as well.

nthn 2019-11-03 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by olf (Post 1561513)
The same here: Tried in August with SFOS 2.2.1.
Did not take the time to analyse why, though.

Problem solved: for some reason, at some point, the systemd service for the TOHKBD was deleted. Reinstalling the TOHKBD ambience fixed it.

pichlo 2019-11-04 08:09

Quote:

If I was the head of Jolla I'd say: dump the native browser.

Then you would instantly lose half of the customers. Me included: I use nothing but the native browser.

pichlo 2019-11-04 08:25

1 Attachment(s)
Never mind, one extra reboot fixed it. Leaving it here anyway as a cautionary tale.

How do I fix Gallery? It appears empty, with the Photos and Videos icons greyed out. The Screenshots icon is active and I can tap on it to enter but it appears empty. The files are there and opening them by some other means (such as from File Browser) works. I tried resetting the media database from Utilities and rebooting a number of times.

Attachment 40757

dcaliste 2019-11-04 09:17

Thanks MartinK for your explanations on the browser.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1561524)
2) GCC & the overall library stack is currently too outdated to build modern versions of Gecko. IIRC glibc version has been bumped a bit recently, but we will likely be still stuck until GCC is finally upgraded as well.

Gcc 8.3 is on its way, according to this merge request : https://git.sailfishos.org/mer-core/...ge_requests/14 Many MR have already been accepted in various other Mer projects to adjust to the new Gcc when it will land.

Libc is currently at 2.28 which is from August 2018, not so much lagging behind anymore.

atlochowski 2019-11-04 09:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1561543)
Never mind, one extra reboot fixed it. Leaving it here anyway as a cautionary tale.

How do I fix Gallery? It appears empty, with the Photos and Videos icons greyed out. The Screenshots icon is active and I can tap on it to enter but it appears empty. The files are there and opening them by some other means (such as from File Browser) works. I tried resetting the media database from Utilities and rebooting a number of times.

Probably tracker needed more time to index photos.

pichlo 2019-11-04 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by atlochowski (Post 1561555)
Probably tracker needed more time to index photos.

In my case, "more time" = "about 3 days".

pacman 2019-11-04 11:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1561524)
Also, even if the Android emulation layer is available, it is quickly approaching obsolescence on all the older devices & Xperia X due to only suportiong Android 4.4.x API level, so it's possible up to date Android browsers will no longer run on it.

I completely agree with your post, but to tide us over there are two browsers that support Android 4.4 that I am using successfully on my Xperia X, and claim to respect users' privacy:

Bromite - available via their own F-droid repo or direct download

Qwant browser - it has improved a lot on the Xperia X since the last major upgrade. (This is a reversal of the usual trend, when a major update of an Android app can break it on the Xperia X ;) ) Installing it is a bit convoluted now that the search in Yalp is broken, but I do things like this by downloading the apk using a desktop browser plugin like "APK Downloader for Google Play Store" in Brave, transferring it to the phone and installing it directly. Yalp can then keep it up to date.

wolke 2019-11-04 15:08

qwant instantly crashes alien-dalvik for me when i open it, sfos 3.1

wolke 2019-11-04 15:20

bromite, on the other hand, works PERFECTLY! it is now my official sailfish browser.

FAST, in-built adblock, plus it can play music out of youtube while minimized (which is the only thing i use SFOS browser for right now)

note that you can only install v77 and lower, v78 uses too high SDK version for xperia X or Xc

paulkondo 2019-11-06 16:59

Hello all,

why is download extremely slow ?
i have 50000Mbit and the speed is most ~100 B/s :-( since 4 Days
i tried with sfos-upgrade via terminal, no progress!
what can i do ? any hints ?

LG paulkondo

Watchmaker 2019-11-06 17:41

It's now out for everyone, and I just updated my Xperia X... but the new "end of call" popup dialog is not there? The update seemingly went ok, according to settings I'm on 3.2.0.12! Anyone else?

deutch1976 2019-11-07 08:38

Mine went well but in the end there were errors and tried to downgrade. About 50% it gave an error, tried to reboot and now os bricked

wolke 2019-11-07 14:25

end-of-call modal dialog was removed, as a feature, because it was SO FRICKEN ANNOYING

deutch1976 2019-11-07 14:54

What's the best way to solve stuck on Sony logo. Factory reset, install android and reflash Sailfish? Need ideas. Thanks in advance

Watchmaker 2019-11-07 16:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolke (Post 1561728)
end-of-call modal dialog was removed, as a feature, because it was SO FRICKEN ANNOYING

Ah... but it is mentioned in Jolla's official blog post, that's why I asked. I was trying to get to it to see what it was like / how it felt. Source, if I may ask?

Bundyo 2019-11-07 16:36

Hmm, the official update is the same version as the EA, so probably just promoted to final and shouldn't have anything removed.

Watchmaker 2019-11-07 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1561734)
Hmm, the official update is the same version as the EA, so probably just promoted to final and shouldn't have anything removed.

My bad, I've now read the full release notes on TJC, the new pop-up dialog only appears when the other side ends the call, and I could get it to appear on my device. I misunderstood the feature and I was expecting to see it when I ended the call, too. I think it is actually a small neat feature to have, you just need to tap/scroll anywhere to make it go away, nothing too annoying (IMHO of course).

lantern 2019-11-07 18:39

I like the new faster unlock.

pichlo 2019-11-25 09:15

Is it just me or does 3.2 eat batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

My usual pattern for the past few days. All of that without actually using the phone (J1), just background tasks such as the phone checking for emails every 30 minutes. No new apps, just a system upgrade (and patches when available):
  • Evening, around 22:00. Take the phone off the charger. Battery level 100% or very close (sometimes I take it off to plug in something else before I reach full 100%).
  • Morning, 05:30 to 07:30, depending on the day. Battery level around 75%. Put it on a charger again while I do my morning routine.
  • Mid afternoon. Battery level around 40%. Sometimes as low as 9%.

In addition, any period of no radio signal speeds up the battery drain by a factor of at least 3. I frequently move into an area where both WiFi and mobile network disappear for a while which makes it easy to notice the difference.

EDIT:
I wake up more than an hour before anyone else in my house and use the phone as an alarm clock. I used to keep it under the pillow so as not to wake up my nearest and dearest, but after an upgrade to 3.2 I very quickly learned not to do that because the phone was very hot and the battery below 50%, despite being full before I went to sleep.

juiceme 2019-11-25 12:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1562608)
Is it just me or does 3.2 eat batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner?

I don't think so, at least it does not feel like that on my device.

Luckily you don't have to take that as an opinion because I have data!
I have a script that logs battery state constantly every 10 minutes and backlog of the good stuff since October 2017 :p

I'll plot what it looks like this evening if I can spare the time.

-- edit ---

This is what the graph looks like, this is my previous power consumption graph, from back 16 months ago; https://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?...postcount=2603

Fellfrosch 2019-11-25 17:38

For me battery life got much better on my XperiaX (better than ever) On Jolla1 I didn't recognize any difference. On the Pro1... well that's a different story:D