maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Things to do after Saillfish OS install? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100560)

fw190 2018-11-18 15:48

Things to do after Saillfish OS install?

Howdy!

Could someone of you brave souls point me to a tutorial/how to or just a regular website with things to do after a clean Saillfish install? I have just smacked it on my Nexus 5 and I'm completely green in this OS.

Maybe there is a "10 things to do after install" ;)

atlochowski 2018-11-18 16:06

Re: Things to do after Saillfish OS install?

1. Go to Settings -> Untrusted software -> Allow to install untrusted softare
2. Download Storeman and install it.
3. Now you have access to big database of Sailfish apps trough Storeman app.
https://openrepos.net/content/osetr/storeman

fw190 2018-11-18 17:02

Must say - it works smooth on this old (but faithful) hardware!

mosen 2018-11-18 18:29

For Early Access system updates you can login to account.jolla.com with the credentials you created on install and enable the option.

And as a new user, you might want to check the official cheat sheet for things that might interest you.

rinigus 2018-11-18 18:48

Welcome! You are on ported device, so Early Access is not for us. Enabling OpenRepos via Storeman is a great start.

To get text predictions on keyboard, get keyboard layout supporting predictions, such as https://openrepos.net/content/sailfi...ext-prediction

mosen 2018-11-18 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1550872)
Welcome! You are on ported device, so Early Access is not for us.

Thanks for correcting so fast. Have not used a ported device for too long :o

atlochowski 2018-11-18 19:33

Quote:

To get text predictions on keyboard, get keyboard layout supporting predictions, such as https://openrepos.net/content/sailfi...ext-prediction

He is from Poland and there is no Polish layout with presage prediction.
I know he can make it.

fw190 2018-11-18 19:40

What can I make? Or is this another he? ;)

atlochowski 2018-11-18 19:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw190 (Post 1550877)
What can I make? Or is this another he? ;)

Yes, you :)

You can make Polish Keyboard layout with presage based text prediction. Of course if you need text prediction.
You can read some details in description of this package https://openrepos.net/content/sailfi...ext-prediction

carlosgonz 2018-11-18 20:31

Quote:

Welcome! You are on ported device, so Early Access is not for us. Enabling OpenRepos via Storeman is a great start.

a big thanks @rinigus for pushing & building excellent apps!

rinigus 2018-11-18 22:00

It's a team effort and was fun to work on it.

As for making a dictionary, it's relatively easy. We'll be happy to help you. Main problem is to get text files to teach predictions. You can always get in touch with us by opening an issue at github, on the project repository , for example.

MartinK 2018-11-19 12:53

While it might be off-topic for a community port of Sailfish OS, there is unfortunately one step one should do for basically any Sailfish X device - increase the size of your rootfs!

Due to unfortunate situation with the default Android partitioning the default rootfs on Sailfish X devices is very small and has a low amount of free space right after initial installation. As all apps are installed to rootfs & upgrades need free space there as well, this can quickly become a major issue. In general I recommend to do this as soon as possible after installation or make sure you have everything backed up if you do it later on as a filesystem resize is needed, so better be safe than sorry.

And for the future, I guess it could be solved by spanning the LVM layout over the two partitions (two physical volumes in the LVM volume group) and having the recovery images on an LV as well.

That way no space would be wasted and root would be big enough by default, so hope Sailfish X moves this way in the future.

nthn 2018-11-19 14:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1550922)
While it might be off-topic for a community port of Sailfish OS, there is unfortunately one step one should do for basically any Sailfish X device - increase the size of your rootfs!

Due to unfortunate situation with the default Android partitioning the default rootfs on Sailfish X devices is very small and has a low amount of free space right after initial installation. As all apps are installed to rootfs & upgrades need free space there as well, this can quickly become a major issue. In general I recommend to do this as soon as possible after installation or make sure you have everything backed up if you do it later on as a filesystem resize is needed, so better be safe than sorry.

And for the future, I guess it could be solved by spanning the LVM layout over the two partitions (two physical volumes in the LVM volume group) and having the recovery images on an LV as well.

That way no space would be wasted and root would be big enough by default, so hope Sailfish X moves this way in the future.

Interesting, the same problem occurs on the tablet, I didn't know there was a (relatively) simple solution. Thanks for the link!

mrsellout 2018-11-19 15:52

After installing Storeman, open it and look for Patchmanager 2.0 by coderus.

Therein you'll find a web catalogue where you can find patches that tweak the UI, my favourite being the Launcher combined, which allows you to tweak how many rows and columns the launcher screen has.

Ancelad 2018-11-19 18:48

Where is a joke about rm -rf /*?

catbus 2018-11-19 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancelad (Post 1550936)
Where is a joke about rm -rf /*?

The "?" is option. You don't really need that

Bundyo 2018-11-20 05:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsellout (Post 1550930)
After installing Storeman, open it and look for Patchmanager 2.0 by coderus.

Therein you'll find a web catalogue where you can find patches that tweak the UI, my favourite being the Launcher combined, which allows you to tweak how many rows and columns the launcher screen has.

I would recommend 3.0.

pichlo 2018-11-20 07:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1550946)
I would recommend 3.0.

Why? 10 chars

fw190 2018-11-20 08:07

U only found the 3 beta.

mrsellout 2018-11-20 12:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1550946)
I would recommend 3.0.

There's a few versions on Openrepos, but the one titled Patchmanager 2.0 has a version number 3.0.55... :)
Edit:
I didn't realise I had both installed, and the Beta has had the most recent update.
Edit2:

Installing the PM3 Beta pulls in PM2.0 automatically

velox 2018-11-20 12:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1550948)
Why?

It's supposed to be a bit safer in case of errors/updates – the files themselves are not changed, only their loading is "intercepted". Also, the lipstick restart menu item works. I started using v3 beta with SF3 and did not really miss v2.

Bundyo 2018-11-20 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by velox (Post 1550955)
It's supposed to be a bit safer in case of errors/updates – the files themselves are not changed, only their loading is "intercepted". Also, the lipstick restart menu item works. I started using v3 beta with SF3 and did not really miss v2.

Just came and Velox already answered what I had in mind.

mrsellout 2018-11-23 15:01

If you're using Linux on your desktop, have a look at Sailfish Connect or KDE Connect. The former currently has more features.

You need to have KDEConnect running on your desktop, but that doesn't mean it's exclusive to KDE users.

Just having text messages popping up on my desktop notifications makes it worthwhile to me, but there are some nice features like shared clipboard, battery status, and file sharing.