maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Anyone in Australia have a Jolla? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92264)

F2thaK 2014-01-04 05:27

Anyone in Australia have a Jolla?

Wondering if anyone in Australia has a Jolla?

Does it work on 3G??

Cheers!

Greendts 2014-01-04 05:31

I'm wondering the same thing, but thinking more like 4g. That's probably doubtful isn't it...

F2thaK 2014-01-04 05:32

Re: Anyone in Australia have a Jolla?

4G doesnt work on any Jolla yet, but thats only limited by software.

As far as I can tell 3G will work in Aus but I heard it wont work with telstra but will with optus

Storm_11 2014-01-04 05:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1403603)

As far as I can tell 3G will work in Aus but I heard it wont work with telstra but will with optus

Telstra = 850mhz
Vodafail = 850/900/2100mhz
Optarse = 900/2100

According to : http://www.gsmarena.com/jolla_jolla-5457.php

Appears it runs all 3 frequencies, so shouldn't be any problems on Telstra. i don't have one yet... will eventually get one once they fix up their distribution here.

edit: I take it back. According to their official website, only 900/2100. That's disappointing, guess a rule of thumb is that if your N900 worked, your Jolla will work. The N9 port is looking like the better option for now...

F2thaK 2014-01-04 06:16

if GSM arena specs are correct 3G on telstra will work.

question is, will 4G work once software allows it?

cant find what LTE freq's Jolla uses, these are the ones used in Aus
http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/mobile_phone_frequencies

Greendts 2014-01-04 07:36

If I play my cards right, mine should be returning along with my fiancé when she returns from Sweden in July.

So by then, most issues will have been resolved??

DJJonosound 2014-01-04 08:52

Damn. It appears theres some competition to be the first Jolla owner in Australia.

Greendts 2014-01-04 09:12

No need for competition, I think we just need to be full of praise for the first recipient, sort of having our own little community.

We're gonna be unique having Jolla here in Australia, let's be at peace rather than bragging who got it first

Greendts 2014-01-04 09:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1403603)

Damn, I'm with Telstra, got no plans of Optus cos their reception is questionable where I am

F2thaK 2014-01-04 10:21

Someone in Aus already has one....

I just want to know if it works as it is now.

Greendts 2014-01-04 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by F2thaK (Post 1403632)
Someone in Aus already has one....

I just want to know if it works as it is now.

That I didn't know, well done to the first Aussie owner, let's hope we can all get one too

F2thaK 2014-01-04 10:36

he's already selling it though, not sure why, not sure if thats a bad sign, says 'its not for him'

Storm_11 2014-01-04 10:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greendts (Post 1403607)
If I play my cards right, mine should be returning along with my fiancé when she returns from Sweden in July.

So by then, most issues will have been resolved??

smart man, swedish, and bringing you a jolla phone. great catch.

Compared to the N9 release, i'm personally not as enthusiastic to get my hands on a Jolla. I pre-ordered my N9 from Harvey Norman, and collected it within an hour of them receiving the stock, so possibly amongst the first in Aus to have a retail N9. Whereas for the Jolla phone, I'm not as eager. Sailfish as an OS just feels.... awkward.... (based on my N9 port), and too many issues for an initial release, even the N9 wasn't this bad on release.

If I could stand Android, I would probably move there, but for now my aging N9 is still doing the job, but needs a battery replacement at some stage.

F2thaK 2014-01-04 10:44

Its cool to hear Aussies takes on Jolla (and N9, n900...)

Yeh I went to WP8 for 5 minutes but that SUCKED.

Very keen to get a jolla, would keep my n9 for a while at least if/when I do

pycage 2014-01-04 11:03

I met someone from Australia at the Jolla Launch Day in Helsinki to buy one of the first 450 devices. So there must be at least one user in Australia.

F2thaK 2014-01-04 11:04

at least 2 then..

Dared 2014-01-04 14:02

I'm getting mine mid february, can't wait! I'll surely be one of the only ones in Sydney with a Jolla

The battery life on my n9 now is abysmal, hoping the Jolla is better

youmeego 2014-01-04 14:20

can telstra support jolla 3g? Please confirm it.thankd

mattaustin 2014-01-05 01:56

I've had my Jolla here in Perth since 24th December :D. Was a bit of a mission getting it shipped on from the UK.

I've been using it as my primary phone on Virgin Mobile (Optus). Everything works great, just had to manually configure the access point before 3G data worked.

MFaroTusino 2014-01-05 04:24

Like Matt, I had a Jolla. Got a review unit from them on Dec 22. Used both Vodafone and Telstra, and had exceptional signal on both networks.

Telstra, will having 4G on that SIM (as shown by my Lumia 925 and BB Z30) was only showing 3G - but seeing as its Software related, we won't know if they will support it in the future. (Based on the frequencies that SHOULD be supported, I see no issue).

Manual config of access point was only needed with Vodafone SIM, where as Telstra configured fine.

Hope the post helps :)

hana 2014-01-05 14:13

Jolla's 2G and 3G frequencies are listed on jolla.com ("All specifications" page).

GSM 850/900/1800/1900
UMTS 900/2100

LTE 800/1800/2600 (bands 20, 3 and 7). LTE is not yet enabled but bands were confirmed by Jolla on Twitter. Note that Jolla's Euro 800 MHz isn't compatible with American 800 MHz (Sprint).

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFaroTusino (Post 1403880)
Like Matt, I had a Jolla. Got a review unit from them on Dec 22. Used both Vodafone and Telstra, and had exceptional signal on both networks.

How much did you use Jolla on Telstra and were you in a city? Because officially Telstra's NextG (850 MHz 3G) is not supported. It's possible Telstra would still have some of their own 2100 MHz sites active, although they shut down the network shared with Vodafone.

DJJonosound 2014-01-07 12:41

Im not in a hurry to get a jolla. To pricey in finland, more so getting one into australia. Still use my N9 for all phone stuff. I want to see sailfish working and doing everything I need it to do on my N9 before I go to dedicated Jolla hardware.

Nexus 7 covers my need for anything else. Its a harmonious balance.

toki 2014-01-13 01:22

not sure whether to get my friend in paris to order one for me and send it over or to just wait till it comes out in australia

coz iv already got the 'order' thingo thing happening...

can you even send the phone in the mail? isnt there restrictions on the battery?

youmeego 2014-01-13 01:29

What are the 3G bands that Telstra supports?

toki 2014-01-13 02:16

•850MHz
•2100MHz

gd81n 2014-01-13 03:50

Telstra is only 850Mhz
2100Mhz was a deal with 3 Mobile that no longer is in place since Vodafone merged and now shutdown 3

Dared 2014-01-14 13:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by toki (Post 1406009)
can you even send the phone in the mail? isnt there restrictions on the battery?

You can send them through any courier service, Fed Ex would be a good option

Dared 2014-01-14 13:58

There's a guy in Adelaide selling one, brand new, never been opened

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Jolla..._qi=RTM1582223

toki 2014-01-14 22:22

wow.. that price though ><"

should i wait for the MWC announcement.. in case they do something funky

id like to purchase it from australia just to show there is some demand here (rather than import from my friend in paris, where it seems there is high demand only in europe)... but id like the device now..

:(

Dared 2014-01-15 00:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by toki (Post 1406457)
wow.. that price though ><"

should i wait for the MWC announcement.. in case they do something funky

id like to purchase it from australia just to show there is some demand here (rather than import from my friend in paris, where it seems there is high demand only in europe)... but id like the device now..

:(

I have one coming from Europe too, should arrive in just under 2 weeks. Was tempted to buy that one from Adelaide so i'd have one now, but then i'd be left with 2 devices hehe

eachna 2014-01-25 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattaustin (Post 1403875)
I've had my Jolla here in Perth since 24th December :D. Was a bit of a mission getting it shipped on from the UK.

I've been using it as my primary phone on Virgin Mobile (Optus). Everything works great, just had to manually configure the access point before 3G data worked.

How did you arrange to pay for it and how did you arrange to get it shipped from UK to Oz?

mattaustin 2014-01-26 07:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by eachna (Post 1408942)
How did you arrange to pay for it and how did you arrange to get it shipped from UK to Oz?

My family are in the UK, so I placed an order and had it delivered to them. I paid with my Australian credit card.

DHL were a bit of a pain though - my Dad paid extra for the 3 day delivery, and they didn't collect it. He had to drop it off at the warehouse. Then it took 5 days, and they didn't process the address correctly. Then they lost it :). It was finally found and delivered by one of the staff on their way home on Christmas Eve. But I got it in the end!

F2thaK 2014-01-26 07:31

useless pricks, lucky you got it

eachna 2014-01-28 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattaustin (Post 1408983)
My family are in the UK, so I placed an order and had it delivered to them. I paid with my Australian credit card.

DHL were a bit of a pain though - my Dad paid extra for the 3 day delivery, and they didn't collect it. He had to drop it off at the warehouse. Then it took 5 days, and they didn't process the address correctly. Then they lost it :). It was finally found and delivered by one of the staff on their way home on Christmas Eve. But I got it in the end!

Sounds stressful. I'm glad to hear you got it and it arrived on Christmas Eve no less! It's nice to hear at least one person put in a little extra effort :D.

Anyone know of a way to order the phone (legally, without relatives) and have it shipped outside of Europe (Australia in my case but I'm sure Americans would be interested as well) without having a European mailing address?

Edit: ...and with the EU consumer warranty/protection still applying if shipped back to Europe for repairs?.

Rauha 2014-01-28 18:36

You could try one of the package frowarding services, like Bongo or Skybox. At least bongo seems to deliver to Australia.

https://bongous.com/service.php
http://www.skybox.net/howtoshop.aspx

eachna 2014-01-28 18:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rauha (Post 1409484)
You could try one of the package frowarding services, like Bongo or Skybox. At least bongo seems to deliver to Australia.

https://bongous.com/service.php
http://www.skybox.net/howtoshop.aspx

Thank you so much. I will :D.

gd81n 2014-01-29 03:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by eachna (Post 1409486)
Thank you so much. I will :D.

Would love to know cost and times etc if you so use them?
As I'm also planning at some stage to get a Jolla

bingomion 2014-01-29 14:40

jolla shmolla! :D

Dared 2014-01-30 13:02

Pity there isn't a mail forwarding service in Switzerland, as that way we wouldn't pay tax!

caprico 2014-01-30 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dared (Post 1409802)
Pity there isn't a mail forwarding service in Switzerland, as that way we wouldn't pay tax!

You still pay taxes in Switzerland, but they're quiet lower. Plus customs often charge a small fee for just "checking" the parcel. I don't think you can get those taxes refunded if you send the parcel back outside the country (as a private person). I'd have to look that up or maybe someone knows it.

Switzerland is extremely strict with Lithium batteries (you have NO chance to send it via postal service and their international partners, as the ministry doesn't allow it. Exception: If the battery is in the device).

It might be possible though with FedEx and co. as I was told. Unfortunately I also don't know about a mail forwarding company around here.