maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Connect N810 to Hotel LAN cable (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=20755)

dociii 2008-06-06 12:59

Connect N810 to Hotel LAN cable

Hi,
I just purchased a new N810 and ask myself on how to log into the internet by using the LAN (cable with RJ45 connector readily available in most of the hotels worldwide) with my tablet.
Thanks for any usefull answer!!

sjgadsby 2008-06-06 13:14

Re: Connect N810 to Hotel LAN cable

Quote:

Originally Posted by dociii (Post 189312)
...how to log into the internet by using the LAN (cable with RJ45 connector readily available in most of the hotels worldwide) with my tablet.

Purchase a travel router, or look through this thread and purchase from jolouis the adapters you to do USB-to-Ethernet.

Benson 2008-06-06 13:17

You'd just have gotten nowhere with a search for RJ45, I suppose...

prk60091 2008-06-06 19:07

give the guy a break.... obviously he is a newbie and if you don't know that a LAN cable is a RJ45 then you probably wont find what you are looking for.

geneven 2008-06-06 19:32

Add the travel router to the faq pages we're always referring newbies to...

Benson 2008-06-06 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by prk60091 (Post 189389)
give the guy a break.... obviously he is a newbie and if you don't know that a LAN cable is a RJ45 then you probably wont find what you are looking for.

Yes, obviously he is a newbie. So?

If you don't know that a LAN cable is an RJ45, then you probably wouldn't post this:
Quote:

Hi,
I just purchased a new N810 and ask myself on how to log into the internet by using the LAN (cable with RJ45 connector readily available in most of the hotels worldwide) with my tablet.
Thanks for any usefull answer!!
It's not an issue of ignorance, it's an issue of failure to help one's self, and warrants a mild reminder of the sensible approach to problem solving.

caulktel 2008-06-07 03:18

Jeez Benson, did you wake up on the wrong side of your NIT this morning? Lighten up!

dociii 2008-06-07 13:34

So what??

If you can not help me I can look into another forum!!

I am not joking.

stevecrye 2008-06-07 23:37

Hi Docii;

I too have been wondering about wired ethernet with my n810, but have been busy with other problems, and had not searched yet. Your post, which I happened to see, and the responses, were enough to provide the "aha! it is possible" - very valuable.

That said, it is always advisable to do some searching for best-guess keywords before posting a question. It's also nice form to try to answer at least one question for every question one poses - I know that's tough when one is getting started, but please still try.

Finally, regarding other forums - internettablettalk seems to be the best one out there... don't give up on us yet.

Steve

vaiodon 2008-06-08 00:35

Buy an Apple Airport Express, great little gizmo with a range of uses. I was in the US for a week recently, plugged my AXP into the hotel's cable modem & enjoyed secured 801.11g wifi on my N800 & work laptop.

josiahg777 2008-06-08 01:15

@stevecrye - hmmm I seem to be following you around today :P I think the google custom search for the forums (available on the main page) supports all the normal boolean operators that google supports

geneven 2008-06-08 02:42

dociii:

'If If you can not help me I can look into another forum!!'

Are you saying this discussion and links didn't provide help?? The answer is, get a travel router. It will provide a wireless connection in the hotel for you. The travel router connects to the rj-45 connector.

oldmancoyote1 2008-06-08 05:37

Docii:

Like most unix communities there are a lot of emotionally immature sorts on these forums who think it's cool to be rude. Ignore them. There are some good folks here too.

Good luck

electrolind 2008-06-08 07:15

Hiya docii,

I too like to access the internet from hotel rooms when I'm traveling. I have found most useful 1) a mini USB to regular USB adapter (available from user jolouis and other places) 2) a travel router (I love mine, works almost everywhere) 3) A USB to Ethernet adapter (travel routers do NOT work everywhere so a hardwired unit is needed). If you have any questions, please don't let the 'leet' -ches get to you. They were once as you are now.... :)

stevecrye 2008-06-08 16:04

Hey Electrolind ...

Any caveats about those adapters, such as brands to avoid? I saw some at Best Buy the other day. Is it as simple as hooking up the adapters, running USB control, clicking on "host" and getting on?

If you have the time, a bit of a step-by-step, with a few noob-ish details, would be great.

Thanks,

Steve

tso 2008-06-08 19:46

i think i read that the kernel comes with realtek driver ready, but one could probably bump into a adapter (usb to ethernet that is) that use some other chip. and rarely if ever do they list what chip they use on the outside :(

GeneralAntilles 2008-06-08 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by caulktel (Post 189510)
Jeez Benson, did you wake up on the wrong side of your NIT this morning? Lighten up!

It's fun, isn't it, Benson? :D

dociii 2008-06-09 21:20

Hi,
and thanks a lot for those who tried to help me. Meanwhile I found a network adaptor USB200M of Linksys but Linksys offers drivers only for windows xp, 2000, millenium and 98.
I wanted to contact Linksys to ask what about OS2008, but it was not possible during the weekend. I will try tomorrow. Or can somebody else help me??
Robert

RogerS 2008-06-09 21:47

I bought a Netgear travel router for $10 some two years ago on-sale at a computer store I happened to be in. Simple to use, to understand, to connect to. Left it on one of my summer travels and couldn't find the same router for less than $40 anywhere. So I ended up buying a smaller Linksys WRT54G S travel router.

Both these routers are specifically intended for plugging into a hotel room connection and letting one or a handful of users access the internet wirelessly. I'm not sure how useful my experience will be because I don't know if these are even sold these days. But any replacement models will surely have the same create-an-instant-wireless-network capability for adhoc business meetings.

I can't say as to how I've had any trouble with the Linksys travel router, but it has always run very hot and is a tad more complicated to set up than the Netgear was. Btw, I almost always kept each router set to single-user as a security precaution, but never had any difficulty switching to multi-user mode.

Benson 2008-06-09 22:00

Well, 5 minutes and google says that for the USB 200M you'll need usbnet (which I already know we have, or you could find quite briefly) and asix (which is not so obvious) drivers; another 5 minutes and itT search shows that asix has been compiled, and by who. If you can't find it posted publicly (I didn't look further, not needing it), then you can PM that guy...

Benson 2008-06-09 22:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by electrolind (Post 189760)
If you have any questions, please don't let the 'leet' -ches get to you. They were once as you are now.... :)

O rly?

You might try to find some evidence, before you go tossing accusations around. I don't think you'll find that posting a new thread without a rudinmentary search is as common as you imply. And I think a lot of people, whether new here or not, would profit from reading one of ESR's HOW-TOs... nay, all of them.

stevecrye 2008-06-10 23:01

The ESR howto's are great! I'm going to read all of them before asking any more questions. I've been looking for something like that.

I just wish I could do this one:
"Try to find an answer by asking a skilled friend."

<sigh> I soo ronrey ... (re: Team America)

Humbly, I hope to soon include several members of these forums as friends - as much as that is possible via the 'net.

Hopefully I will be asking less questions and answering more soon :o

Steve

Benson 2008-06-10 23:04

Well, only the one is relevant to asking (and answering) questions in a useful fashion. But they're all good reading.

stevecrye 2008-06-11 04:57

This paragraph is good; I'l try to remember it when it is time for me to take my lumps:

Quote:

Remember: When that hacker tells you that you've screwed up, and (no matter how gruffly) tells you not to do it again, he's acting out of concern for (1) you and (2) his community. It would be much easier for him to ignore you and filter you out of his life. If you can't manage to be grateful, at least have a little dignity, don't whine, and don't expect to be treated like a fragile doll just because you're a newcomer with a theatrically hypersensitive soul and delusions of entitlement.
Steve

jolouis 2008-06-11 13:33

I'm not quite sure how this turned into such a heated discussion at times; just be sure to do a quick search for things before posting immediately that's all... I'm not going to get involved in it beyond saying that ;o)

In terms of what works for USB-Ethernet adapters and how to get it all setup best bet is to read the Wiki Entry for it:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

Thanks,
-Rob

dociii 2008-06-13 10:21

Thanks a lot to everybody especially to Rob for the useful wiki article which brought me forward a bit.
Meanwhile I was told by Linksys that a driver for the USB200M is not available for the maemo linux based OS2008.
Therefore, the link you recommended is clarifying a lot. I understood that the USB 1.0 model USB100M adapter can be used straight away but (there is always a but!) the USB200M (which I posses) needs additional power supply which can not be supported by the USB OTG chip. But the wiki article refers to the N800 !!
Is this valid also the N810 or can N810 supply the adapter without outer help??
This would be my last question for now. Regards, Robert

sjgadsby 2008-06-13 11:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by dociii (Post 191616)
But the wiki article refers to the N800 !! Is this valid also the N810...

Yes.

Quote:

...or can N810 supply the adapter without outer help?
No.

Scarflash 2008-06-14 05:59

ok ok. I was once where you were and i don't want you to get addicted to coffee reading that usb dongles thread. First you have to buy a usb adapter like:
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=2004
or
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-Micro..._sim_e_title_2

Now from this you can buy an adapter than can convert usb to ethernet.
http://www.electronicproductonline.c...oducts_id=1799

Now once you've gotten all this go to the wiki and read the HOWTO on Wired Networking
http://www.internettablettalk.com/wi...de_and_OS_2008

thechief 2008-07-01 21:18

Hi,

I got the usbLAN package installed.
The eth0 interface is up and I can assign an IP address with ifconfig but what I really want is DHCP doing it for me. In hotels they do not tend to give me the hotel network credentials. (and the girl at the reception is no help either ;-)

Can anyone help me with this?

Thx!

stevecrye 2008-07-01 21:38

Hi;

Have you tried

Code:

udhcpc --help?

Steve

thechief 2008-07-01 22:43

thx steve. very helpful

stevecrye 2008-07-01 23:07

Chief, I hope the udhcpc works - I'll be needing it soon! I just googled for it, never actually used it.

BTW, ScarFlash's post http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...0&postcount=28

is great - I'm ordering those Moto cables. I had been looking at them but I was unsure if they would work until I read his post.

Thanks!

Steve

vaiodon 2008-07-02 08:40

Let me reiterate my earlier post & maybe expand on it.

N8x0 has wifi networking but no wired, for me the simplest way to bridge that gap is to make sure I can turn wired network into wireless. My solution is to use an Apple Airport Express. I set it up before I leave home so itīll DHCP onto a hotel, or any, Ethernet wired IP service and it provides me with my own access point.

It's easy & can be used by other devices. No hacking, no hard to find cables.

I realise that advocating an Apple product here might be regarded as heresy but these little APX devices are very useful.

stevecrye 2008-07-02 20:00

Hi Vaidon;

I want both a travel router and the ability to connect directly to wired networks.

For example, I might need to have a non-routed, non-natted connection with my n810 using a static IP.

Some organizations (my company will be in this category next year), detect rogue APs over the air and jam them.

I agree that for the casual hotel traveler, your solution is very easy and effective.

Steve

Benson 2008-07-02 20:18

Wait, Steve, I thought you were some sort of high muckety-muck in IT at your company? Can't you just tweak the logic to detect "any rogue AP with BSSID not matching list of my personal APs"? ;)

I'm not sure I'd go for the Apple option; I think that I'd prefer to invest the time in playing with one of the Linux-based AP firmwares, and have it good for all sorts of stuff. (Not sure which yet; that's a whole series of projects I haven't gotten to playing with yet.) But the way I see it: some sort of AP setup is the convenient way, when it works; an ethernet adapter is the way that always works...

(It seems many hotel internet services have TOSs that seem to forbid setting up an open AP, and possibly any AP at all. Enforcement is 9/10 of the law, of course, and generally doesn't exist for hotels. But it's good to be able to work regardless, IMHO.)

stevecrye 2008-07-03 06:01

Quote:

Wait, Steve, I thought you were some sort of high muckety-muck in IT at your company? Can't you just tweak the logic to detect "any rogue AP with BSSID not matching list of my personal APs"?
Heh... Think of me as the pointy-haired manager. I'd have to ask Dilbert to turn off the rogue-kill robot.

All kidding aside, I just want to get the wired thing working, partly for the sheer geek factor, partly 'cause there might be times when it is the only way to do something.

FYI... FCC rules require that rogue-kill be initiated by a human.

Steve

jolouis 2008-07-03 14:10

Hey Steve,

Have you managed to get the wired stuff working yet? Just curious as I thought the packages and Wiki info made it pretty easy to do, but if I missed something or there's a problem with the info/scripts then I'd love to know so that I can fix 'em up for everyone!

I agree with Benson, for most people travel routers and wifi are nice, but there are so many issues that you CAN run into that prevent it from working. My Dad travels a lot, and while he likes to use technology and is all over "cool new things" like the Tablet, he certainly doesn't have the tech background to be able to figure out what tweaks or changes he'd have to make to get a travel router working on a regular basis; he can manage the USB wired networking option though without any trouble at all (ironically he gets it setup and then calls me on his SIP account to ask me how to do other things on the internet half the time!). I think it comes down to your level of expertise and how much effort you want to put in for convinience; personally I could probably do the travel router thing without issue, but it would be more work and requires more understanding of all of the factors than a simple "plug and go" wired option.

And Benson, if you're like me buddy, forget hacking up the wifi routers with linux... just go for an embedded box like an ALIX and build your own UberBox ... it's where you'll end up anyways! (I went through an Asus WL-500GD, a few GPs, and now have gone to an ALIX 3c3 as it gives me full USB, a full 500mHz processor, expandable onboard storage, full serial/console port, lots of ram, built on sound and video, and 2 mini PCI slots for whatever radios you want to use... and it's still very small, power efficient, and no fans/etc required)

-Rob

stevecrye 2008-07-03 20:30

Hi Rob;

Still have not worked on wired - but I do have, just now, my huge Windoze USB keyboard connected and am I typing on it! Hurray!

I've been eying the Adesso mini on Amazon. There is a wireless Adesso mini at a local store that looks the same and the keys feel pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/ADESSO-ACK-595...116863&sr=1-19

Anyone used that Adesso mini?

Steve

TA-t3 2008-07-04 08:10

The travel router solution is actually quite easy, as you only have to figure out the configuration once: Set it to AP mode, give it an SSID, enable encryption, set it to use DHCP, teach your N8x0 to connect to it. After that it's just plug and go wherever you are.

However, I agree that there are situations where it's not optimal, usually because you're at some non-hotel place where it's not allowed to connect a wi-fi router to the network. For such situations it would be interesting to know about what kind of wired options people have got working.

twaelti 2008-07-04 08:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA-t3 (Post 199252)
The travel router solution is actually quite easy, as you only have to figure out the configuration once: Set it to AP mode, give it an SSID, enable encryption, set it to use DHCP, teach your N8x0 to connect to it. After that it's just plug and go wherever you are.

However, I agree that there are situations where it's not optimal, usually because you're at some non-hotel place where it's not allowed to connect a wi-fi router to the network. For such situations it would be interesting to know about what kind of wired options people have got working.

If you also disable SSID broadcast in the configuration, other guests and hotel staff won't be able to "see" it. Or rename it to something like "Linksys" or "VIP Access" so everybody thinks it's some infrastructure or neighbourhood thing :D