maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Newbie (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   File Transfer PC to N800 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=11001)

johni58 2007-10-26 00:09

File Transfer PC to N800

I just picked up a new N800. I know nothing but looking at this site with the extreme amount of information - frankly - I'm scared. I have figured out a lot on my own but would like to cut right to the chase on this question -
How do I tranfer images and mp3's via WIFI from my XP Pro PC to the N800 ?
I have 2 giggs onboard and 2 giggs removable.

Thanks for the help and I enjoy being with a group that recognizes internet tablets are way cool. Hopefully I have reluctantly dropped my NoteBook into the Grey tray at the airport for the last time.
Johni

Ar-ras 2007-10-26 00:13

Re: File Transfer PC to N800

Wait one month for SMB-Support in OS2008 :)

johni58 2007-10-26 00:15

Ar-ras, Could you explain - and thanks for the reply. /ji

Rocketman 2007-10-26 00:18

There are a number of ways that you could accomplish this, ranging from ftp to cifs, rsync, etc. I believe fanoush has cifs kernel modules on his website which would allow you to use standard windows file sharing to transfer files to/from the n800.

http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/

You might also take a look at Orb, which lets you access all your PC's media content remotely on the N800...as long as you have an internet connection. One thing you might want to consider when transfering data to the n800 is that the wireless is going to limit you to a fraction of a MB/second transfer speeds. You may be better off simply sticking a SDHC card in a reader and plugging it into your XP machine, at least for large files.

Ar-ras 2007-10-26 00:20

Next month OS2008 will be released. OS2008 will (hopefully) contain native Samba-Support (aka Windows File Network File System). Then you can use it like network drives. Vice Versa ;)

johni58 2007-10-26 00:22

Rocketman - Ar-ras / Thank you both. I very much appreciate it. I will continue to monitor and learn. Contact me anytime. Thanks again. //
John in Salem, Oregon
:)

xxM5xx 2007-10-26 01:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by johni58 (Post 87164)
I just picked up a new N800. I know nothing but looking at this site with the extreme amount of information - frankly - I'm scared. I have figured out a lot on my own but would like to cut right to the chase on this question -
How do I tranfer images and mp3's via WIFI from my XP Pro PC to the N800 ?
I have 2 giggs onboard and 2 giggs removable.

Thanks for the help and I enjoy being with a group that recognizes internet tablets are way cool. Hopefully I have reluctantly dropped my NoteBook into the Grey tray at the airport for the last time.
Johni

You did say you wanted to xfer files ( images and MP3 ) via WiFi from your XP Pro Windows computer to the N800. There is a powerful software I have been playing around with today that allows exactly that and more. http://mike.saunby.googlepages.com/x11vncfornokia7702 will allow file transfers from a Windows computer to the N800 without any wires, via WiFi. What you do is install the TightVNC viewer for Windows on a Micro$oft computer in your LAN, and install the x11VNC application on the Nokia N800. Follow the instruction provided on the webpage link above.

Once you have the Windows computer connected it is very intuitive (at least I thought so). You can use your desktop computer keyboard and mouse to use the N800 file manager, use your desktop computer to open and close applications remotely on the N800, even operate application remotely from the desktop computers mouse and full size hardware keyboard. It is a riot to play with. I particularly enjoy this while running FREE42, meamo mapper, Sketch, Notes, and while browsing the Internet using my fullsize mechanical / non-bluetooth keyboard virtually tied to the Nokia N800.

On the Windows VNC side (TightVNC) the 9th icon from the left (up top) is what you click on to perform a wireless file transfer (in either direction) between the two machines. That icon looks like two sheets of paper. Please note if you have TightVNC in fullscreen mode you will not see this icon. To toggle Fullscreen on / off press Cntrl-Alt-Shft-F on the Windows computer keyboard. Using your Windows computer's mouse, click on the file transfer icon and the screen which opens looks like your typical FTP program screen. It is very simple to do, and it requires no USB ports, cables, etc. This method of file transfer also DOES NOT use BlueTooth. This WiFi / LAN / Internet method of file transfer can be performed over great distances (where BlueTooth has to be very nearby).

Sure there are ways to do file transfers with bluetooth but you did specifically say you wanted to use WiFi, --and-- this VNC jazz facilitates remote controlling the N800 with a real mouse and a real fullsize QWERTY keyboard and doing so over long distances.

Give this VNC thing a try. It does the wireless file transfers you asked for and a whole lot more. I was using Skype and the GizmoProject today on my Nokia N800, and I wasn't touching the N800 the entire time.... I was controlling the VOIP applications running on the N800 using my desktop's USB mouse and full keyboard with VNC. It is a no brainer. Regards, M5

<....This type thing is not restricted to a Windows XP system, this VNC stuff can be done between a Linux laptop / desktop and the Nokia N800 also. For more about Virtual Network Computing / Virtual Network Control read this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VNC. If the above doesn't sound like something you want to fool with, moving SD cards physically between the N800 external slot and Windows computers SD slot, or a SD card reader is one option. In the old days we called this "sneaker net" because you walked with a floppy disk in hand from computer to computer inserting the media manually. It is a piece of cake to use the USB cable between Windows XP and the N800 to move data files around also. Low tech, but effective. ENJOY>

mrlanrat 2007-10-26 02:23

Cant you use the USB cable?

johni58 2007-10-26 04:28

xxm5xx and mrlanrat - thanks. This sounds like something good to look at. I am familar with VNC but not on the N800. I have 8 machines on one LAN and one TerraStation. I very much like the idea of "no wire" file transfer. I hate to have to dig out the cable each time or pull the mmc. My local machine is inside a cabinet with a big door. I will probably switch MP3's and Jpgs often to the 800. Thanks all. //ji
;)

IBICO 2007-10-26 05:07

uhm.. 2gb onboard. Is that not just N810 that got 2gb onboard?

johni58 2007-10-26 05:53

Well, I am new but I don't mind voicing a strong opinion. I had looked at most all the Tablets and was down to the Samsung Q series trying to evade having to remove my notebook from it's case and drop it into the grey bin at the airport. (The TSA does not treat them kindly). When the Q2 came out it had a keyboard like the Black Berry and (I'll just say it) I hated it. I wanted a "Slate" tablet without keyboard. I do not need the bulk of that much more to go wrong and a convenient place to spill Pepsi, plus I don't consider a "thumb" keyboard to be a "real" keyboard. Along with this I already have two GPS systems - one for the car and one hand held and do not need them running down the battery of my tablet or vice versa for that matter. How could you depend on a GPS to help you if you have just been on a remote long distance WIFI call across the country for an hour?

Hence - I like the N800 just as it is. I have found just today that it is a sweet sweet machine that will do more than I can imagine. Don't change it!

Just my opinion - excuse all the spelling (also got it for $224.00) Thanks //ji

tolou 2007-10-26 12:23

For just a few files, like images or mp3īs, I find the bluetooth file transfer outstanding. Just pair the units up and then dragīn drop with your PC 'Bluetooth Exchange folder' from within the N800 Filemanager.

johni58 2007-10-26 14:29

tolou, thanks - I am new to BT. What (BT) device would I purchase to connect to the PC or LAN ? //ji

JeffElkins 2007-10-26 17:40

You can buy a USB Bluetooth device about the size of a typical thumb drive, if your PC does not have BT built in. Go to newegg.com and search for bluetooth usb. They are usually inexpensive...$30.00 & under.

LouDdolinar 2007-10-26 18:45

File Transfer PC to N800 vix x11VNC

Well, I installed the vnc client and server. It works, but erratically, sometimes windows sees the Nokia, sometimes not. IP address is ok, but there seems to be no way to tell when the server is running. When it does connect, pointer behavious is also erratic. Clicking on RSS feeds, for example, works fine. The control bar on the left hand side of the screen doesn not. Any thoughts?

VNC seems like ideal solution to the file transfer issue, and probably should have been in the original release of the tablet. Any thoughts on getting VNC to work reliably?

efb 2007-10-26 19:01

Re: File Transfer PC to N800 vix x11VNC

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar (Post 87491)
VNC seems like ideal solution to the file transfer issue, and probably should have been in the original release of the tablet. Any thoughts on getting VNC to work reliably?

VNC kind of works perfectly on my N800. What configuration are you using by the way - server on N800 and client on PC, right? I have to restart x11vnc server every time I disconnect an active VNC connection, but other than that, it's a smooth ride for me.

LouDdolinar 2007-10-26 19:47

Initially I installed only the server on the Nokia, and the client on the Laptop, and experienced the problems I previously described. I subsequently tried client on Nokia and server on laptop. That also connected but lost the connection rather quickly.

Server/PC Client/Nokia would be darned useful as well.

I have a hunch there's some minor configuration problem here, and that I'm going to have to learn to use the Linux command line interface, something I'd hoped to avoid. As I read the various postings, it appears that's the only way to tell whether the server's even running.

Sigh. All I wanted was a lousy "Honey do..." list I could sync over the 'net with my wife. I'd hoped to put off the hobbist part for a few weeks at least...:) :)

xxM5xx 2007-10-28 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar (Post 87491)
Well, I installed the vnc client and server. It works, but erratically, sometimes windows sees the Nokia, sometimes not. IP address is ok, but there seems to be no way to tell when the server is running. When it does connect, pointer behavious is also erratic. Clicking on RSS feeds, for example, works fine. The control bar on the left hand side of the screen doesn not. Any thoughts?

I have used the x11VNC on the Nokia N800 and the TightVNC on several of my PC (Windows) here. I have not seen any erratic behaviors here. Just don't try watching a video on the N800 when x11VNC is activated and expect to see that video on a remote PC running TightVNC...that won't fly.

Yes, I initially had the three left icons on the N800 inaccessible from the PC.... I say intially because my Compaq Desktop PC and a Compaq notebook exhibited the inaccessibility, HOWEVER (and something I cannot explain) another of my Compaq notebooks here DID ALLOW access to the three N800 icons when I pressed the F3 key on the notebook. The Compaq desktop and the other Compaq notebook ignored the F3 key in TightVNC. I would not call that erratic but it is inconsistent. All of my Windows PCs for this test were running the exact same Windows XP Pro OS......really weird how only one of them allowed F3 in TightVNC to work the way it did, and that is important because without access to the three icons on the N800 left from the viewer (remote PC) you need to have the N800 within reach.

In closing, let me also report that I transfered a 180 meg video file using the x11VNC and TightVNC method over my WiFi and it took a long time (but it did finish successfully). It did work as it should but I would sneaker-net the file if I were to do it again, writing the 180meg file to the SD would go much quicker than using Wifi and VNC it seems. Regards M5.

xxM5xx 2007-10-28 15:13

Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800?? Thanks. I ask because it is not obvious when x11VNC server is running on the N800, and I am concerned it might drain my N800 battery quicker if x11VNC is running generating WiFi data traffic, when I think the N800 is really in low power standby. I'd like a way to know if X11VNC is running. Regards.

kooda 2007-10-28 17:11

Here is how I do it and it is very simple:

Download and install Filezilla FTP server on your PC, set up a folder for FTP share and set up the password. Copy the files you want to transfer from PC to N800 into this folder on the PC.

Now from your N800 browser, type ftp://your_pc_IP_address like ftp://192.168.1.100 and you should see your files in that FTP folder on the PC. Download and save them to your N800.

But if you have a SD or SDHC card reader for your PC, you could just copy the files on the card directly.

bunanson 2007-10-28 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 88000)
Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800??

Install Maemo.org>Downloads>CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, the program is called load-applet, chances are it is already in your "Browse installable applications" repositories. After installation, you will see two icons like the battery icon on your right hand corner. Click the icons, they have "List processes"

Enjoy,:o

bun

bunanson 2007-10-28 18:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by tolou (Post 87287)
For just a few files, like images or mp3īs, I find the bluetooth file transfer outstanding. Just pair the units up and then dragīn drop with your PC 'Bluetooth Exchange folder' from within the N800 Filemanager.

i DID most of my file transfer using BT, but I dont quite like it. The caveat, it is one file at a time. Has anybody figure out a way to do a folder transfer? Or some trick to make several small files together and BT it then split them afterward? Especially a folder of say, 20 some mp3s, I dont mind the transfer time, it does not bother me, but attend to three keypresses every 2-3 minutes for 20 times.........the BT transfer is ******ed for a folder of many files. I do it for say one to two files, and, i dont really care about the size. More than that, depends on the size, i may "sneaker net" (I learned this today, thanks) for big file or USB for small files. Hey, dont get me wrong, as I stated at the beginning, I did BT quite often too, i just hate this one file at a time business.

EDIT: I forget to mention, I am using my 770 for my business which requires inventory list 3 or 4 times a day enter into the 770, and then dl to my PC an excel file everyday, I use only BT, but that is one file and is the same file everytime, that I have to say, BT rocks.
bun

xxM5xx 2007-10-28 22:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 88032)
Install Maemo.org>Downloads>CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, the program is called load-applet, chances are it is already in your "Browse installable applications" repositories. After installation, you will see two icons like the battery icon on your right hand corner. Click the icons, they have "List processes"

Enjoy,:o

bun

Thanks Man. It wasn't in my repos. list but I found it here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/load-applet/

Unfortunately, I get the following error when trying to install it to my N800-

"Unable to install.
Application package is incompatible with current software."

Any guesses why?

Thank you in advance. M5

bunanson 2007-10-29 00:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 88122)
Thanks Man. It wasn't in my repos. list but I found it here:

http://maemo.org/downloads/product/load-applet/

Unfortunately, I get the following error when trying to install it to my N800-

"Unable to install.
Application package is incompatible with current software."

Any guesses why?

Thank you in advance. M5

I am also running N800, the next to the newest OS 4.2007.26-8. Mine is brand new though, just got it on Friday. You mind to go Menu>Tools>App manager>Tools>Log... and see which is the problem. We will figure it out:)

xxM5xx 2007-10-29 01:11

log has no entry, all it says at the top when I open it is:

osso-application-installer 4.46, UI version 2

~~~~~~

I have had my N800 approx 2 weeks...the first day I got it I flashed to the latest firmware avialable that day ( which was / is 4.2007.38-2 ). Your firmware is earlier than my firmware. That might be the difference. CPU/MEM/Screenshot Load-applet is not in my list of installable apps so I suspect Nokia might have intentionally left it out of my list because they know it is not installable?

I went to the link I provided and that is where I got the load-applet. I copied it (downloaded it from the Maemo site) to my removable SD card, then double clicked to try and install it (like I have done with numerous other apps). That is when I see the error message.

~~~~~~~~~

I am looking forward to OS2008 if it will support Bluetooth headset support ( and it is supposed to ), but I am concerned that many applications will not work until ported to OS2008. Can anyone with a pre-released N810 tell us about bluetooth support / functionality on the N810 with OS2008? Is there a way to see what processes are running on an N810?

~~~~

I don't know if I am real happy about losing Opera.

~~~~

I'm off on tangents mentally. Off thread. Sorry.

~~~~

EDIT: I just went back to the maemo site and looked closer at the CPU/MEM/Screenshot app. It is for OS2006, not OS2007. I feel you could not have successfully installed it on your OS2007 N800 either. Looks like no one can. Any other ideas on how I can see what processes are running on my N800? I want to be able to see if x11VNC is running or off.

Thanks

bunanson 2007-10-29 03:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 88172)
log has no entry, all it says at the top when I open it is:

osso-application-installer 4.46, UI version 2

~~~~~~

I have had my N800 approx 2 weeks...the first day I got it I flashed to the latest firmware avialable that day ( which was / is 4.2007.38-2 ). Your firmware is earlier than my firmware. That might be the difference. CPU/MEM/Screenshot Load-applet is not in my list of installable apps so I suspect Nokia might have intentionally left it out of my list because they know it is not installable?

I went to the link I provided and that is where I got the load-applet. I copied it (downloaded it from the Maemo site) to my removable SD card, then double clicked to try and install it (like I have done with numerous other apps). That is when I see the error message.

~~~~~~~~~

I am looking forward to OS2008 if it will support Bluetooth headset support ( and it is supposed to ), but I am concerned that many applications will not work until ported to OS2008. Can anyone with a pre-released N810 tell us about bluetooth support / functionality on the N810 with OS2008? Is there a way to see what processes are running on an N810?

~~~~

I don't know if I am real happy about losing Opera.

~~~~

I'm off on tangents mentally. Off thread. Sorry.

~~~~

EDIT: I just went back to the maemo site and looked closer at the CPU/MEM/Screenshot app. It is for OS2006, not OS2007. I feel you could not have successfully installed it on your OS2007 N800 either. Looks like no one can. Any other ideas on how I can see what processes are running on my N800? I want to be able to see if x11VNC is running or off.

Thanks

I am sorry that you felt bad. I hope tomorrow is going to be better, cheer up pal.
I figured out what is going on. I ran into some unrelated problem and have to reflash the whole thing. After that I installed the load app-let, guess what, I have the same problem, unable to install. Then I realize I was having X11VNC goin on! I turned X11VNC off, it installed without a glitch. Because of this, I also figure out a way to tell whether the X11VNC is on. You click your tightVNC connect, if it failed, your X11VNC is off. How do you like that? In fact, that is how I find out the dumb x11VNC is in the way of my installation! Again, try to turn off the VNC see whether you can then install. It is a very small utility, should not be in conflict with a lot of other programs. Please post back if questions. Hope you feel much better tomorrow, a brand new week:) BTW, I have installed quite some 2006 apps, they are just fine. This includes simple launcher (now they included 2007)

bun

tolou 2007-10-29 13:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 88043)
The caveat, it is one file at a time. Has anybody figure out a way to do a folder transfer? Or some trick to make several small files together and BT it then split them afterward? Especially a folder of say, 20 some mp3s, I dont mind the transfer time, it does not bother me, but attend to three keypresses every 2-3 minutes for 20 times.........

Well, as I said: Itīs N800 File manager dragīn drop style. That is multiple selection by pressing screen while doing drag select. Then just drop into destination folder. Yes, it will process one at a time but no need to interact with that, just wait (patiently). Main issue is the Filemanager wantīs to 'Move' files by default, not copy. To copy you will need to Copy/paste as opposed to drag'n drop but quite as useful.

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-29 17:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 88000)
Question related to this thread. In a Windows PC you can pull up task manager and see what processes / applications are running..... is there an equivalent function on the N800?? Thanks. I ask because it is not obvious when x11VNC server is running on the N800, and I am concerned it might drain my N800 battery quicker if x11VNC is running generating WiFi data traffic, when I think the N800 is really in low power standby. I'd like a way to know if X11VNC is running. Regards.

here are a few ways you could do that xxM5xx:

1) Install Xterm
- Type: pidof x11vnc
If X11VNC is running it gives you the proces# (e.g. 3089)
and if not just blank space

- To see all the processes type: ps
If X11VNC is running you will see an entry containing:
/usr/bin/x11vnc

Xterm is a must have in my opinion.

2) For a GUI you can install Maemo Process Viewer

3) You can also use osso-statusbar-cpu for this purpose.[old screenshots]; but x11vnc will only show up if it is one of the top 3 resource users.

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-29 18:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 87998)
Yes, I initially had the three left icons on the N800 inaccessible from the PC.... I say intially because my Compaq Desktop PC and a Compaq notebook exhibited the inaccessibility, HOWEVER (and something I cannot explain) another of my Compaq notebooks here DID ALLOW access to the three N800 icons when I pressed the F3 key on the notebook. The Compaq desktop and the other Compaq notebook ignored the F3 key in TightVNC. I would not call that erratic but it is inconsistent. All of my Windows PCs for this test were running the exact same Windows XP Pro OS......really weird how only one of them allowed F3 in TightVNC to work the way it did, and that is important because without access to the three icons on the N800 left from the viewer (remote PC) you need to have the N800 within reach.....

Some more key bindings:
http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/usi...okia-n800.html

F3 Selects the Applications icon in the task navigator
F4 Opens the menu for the current application
F6 Toggles full screen mode
F7 Same as the + button
F8 Same as the - button
F9 Selects the application switcher (the >> button in the left hand bottom corner)

LouDdolinar 2007-10-29 18:27

continuing adventures in x11vlc:

It loads erratically. It only starts on the Nokia about one time in three, if the process viewer I'm using is accurate. Most of the time the PC connects when the process is running, so that's an improvement, and suggests that the problems I've been having involve a failure to launch, so to speak.

The Nokia server unloads when you end the session by closing the PC window. Network problems that interrupt the connection also cause it to unload.

On the Nokia it appears to be slightly more reliable with a fixed IP address on my home network. However, switching to a fixed IP address for some reason seems to mess up my email, which I've set up with Google POP mail as the incoming client, and Verizon as the outgoing client. Oddly I can have same IP address assigned by the server, and email is fine, only when I set it to a fixed IP do I have a problem.

Screen controls are problematic. F3 solves the problem of getting at the left-side menus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a key that will let me edit the URL of a web page. This is a real deal breaker.

One last unrelated question: is there anything out there that will synchronize a web-based todo list (or even a file, like on Google) with the Nokia? I thought maybe I could make something work with Google calendar but I'm having exactly the same problems with Python runtime as a half-dozen other people here have discussed.

On the upside, email and RSS are wonderful, and the Nokia has given my ROKU music server, which has a dismal remote control, a whole new lease on life.

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-29 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar (Post 87519)
Sigh. All I wanted was a lousy "Honey do..." list I could sync over the 'net with my wife. I'd hoped to put off the hobbist part for a few weeks at least...:) :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar (Post 88405)
One last unrelated question: is there anything out there that will synchronize a web-based todo list (or even a file, like on Google) with the Nokia? I thought maybe I could make something work with Google calendar but I'm having exactly the same problems with Python runtime as a half-dozen other people here have discussed.

hi LouDdolinar:
1) Perhaps the sharing/collaborating features of Google Documents [Help] or Google Notebook [Help] could assist you with this.

2) Another way would be the following:
- open a shared Gmail account with your wife
- 'compose' a new message without filling out the 'To' field but with a subject (e.g. toDo)
- click on 'Save now' when done [creates a Draft] and return to the inbox[important for 'synchronizing'.]
- you can also attach files [don't return to the inbox until you see that the file has finished uploading]
- now both of you can update the draft whenever needed.

[PS: most of this will only work if you are using the MicroB engine with your browser]

technut 2007-10-29 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo (Post 88401)

Some more key bindings:
http://www.rwhitby.net/blog/n800/usi...okia-n800.html

F3 Selects the Applications icon in the task navigator
F4 Opens the menu for the current application
F6 Toggles full screen mode
F7 Same as the + button
F8 Same as the - button
F9 Selects the application switcher (the >> button in the left hand bottom corner)

one more for you...

F12 acts like clicking the Power button (brings up the "Device mode" popup)

Another way to look at these:

F3: Application icon (then cursor-left/up for other two icons)
F4: menu button (middle of 3)
F6: fullscreen button
F7: + button
F8: - button
F9: home button (bottom of 3)
F12: power button
Esc: back button (top of 3)

It is going to be very handy to use VNC wirelessly to the N800 when I have a lot of changes to make on it. Saves me from getting a bluetooth keyboard for now too!

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-30 00:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by technut (Post 88455)
one more for you...

F12 acts like clicking the Power button (brings up the "Device mode" popup)

Another way to look at these:

F3: Application icon (then cursor-left/up for other two icons)
F4: menu button (middle of 3)
F6: fullscreen button
F7: + button
F8: - button
F9: home button (bottom of 3)
F12: power button
Esc: back button (top of 3)

It is going to be very handy to use VNC wirelessly to the N800 when I have a lot of changes to make on it. Saves me from getting a bluetooth keyboard for now too!

yes. I agree technut.
VNC also comes in very handy for file transfer in both directions from the PC!
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...eyo/VNC_01.jpg

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-30 01:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouDdolinar (Post 88405)
Screen controls are problematic. F3 solves the problem of getting at the left-side menus. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find a key that will let me edit the URL of a web page. This is a real deal breaker.

It takes a bit of fiddling but if you first place the cursor on the 'down arrow' icon next to the url entry field and then hit enter a few times the small keyboard pops up and at the same time puts the cursor into url field, enabling you to change it.

LouDdolinar 2007-10-30 04:25

Many thanks on the function keys. That seems to work pretty well. Also the high-speed options helps on the PC end of things.

I don't understand why it worked but I fixed the email problem. First I set a fixed IP address, then I deleted the old Google account, then I created a new one.

I have a kind of screwy email arragement but it works. I wanted a whitelist filter between my verizon account and the Nokia, allowing only a half-dozen or so people through, while I got all my mail, including spam, on the laptop. Verizon has minimal functions on its web interface, so I retrieved verizon via gmail, filter via gmail, then download gmail with the Nokia's built-in email program. Works for me.

I don't think I explained the todo syncing thing very well. My wife and I currently share todo lists via my tada lists, a web based app--dumb but effective when you're sitting at a PC. Trouble is, I want the nokia to automatically retrieve and store the lists any time I leave home, because I can't always get a wifi connection at, say, home depot. My tada lists will send an email of a list to its author, which works pretty well, and you can subscribe to a list as an RSS feed. That gets me about 90 percent of what I want before I walk out the door. Not fully automatic but close.

What I really want is the ability to work on the todo list on the Nokia offline, then sync back to the web when I'm in wi-fi range. That doesn't look real doable at this point, though some of the GPE stuff seems promising.

Once again, thanks for the assistance and suggestions.

Oh, one last question: Anyone got Google calendar to sync with GPE calendar? I can't get any of the python addons to load correctly.

xxM5xx 2007-10-31 20:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunanson (Post 88205)
I am sorry that you felt bad. I hope tomorrow is going to be better, cheer up pal.
I figured out what is going on. I ran into some unrelated problem and have to reflash the whole thing. After that I installed the load app-let, guess what, I have the same problem, unable to install. Then I realize I was having X11VNC goin on! I turned X11VNC off, it installed without a glitch. Because of this, I also figure out a way to tell whether the X11VNC is on. You click your tightVNC connect, if it failed, your X11VNC is off. How do you like that? In fact, that is how I find out the dumb x11VNC is in the way of my installation! Again, try to turn off the VNC see whether you can then install. It is a very small utility, should not be in conflict with a lot of other programs. Please post back if questions. Hope you feel much better tomorrow, a brand new week:) BTW, I have installed quite some 2006 apps, they are just fine. This includes simple launcher (now they included 2007)

bun

Thanks Bunanson, Sorry but something else is going on. On my N800 it makes no difference if x11VNC is running or off....when I try install to CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, I get the same error message over and over. There is something else going on which is preventing the app from installing. The error message states "Aplication package is incompatible with current software" ( note the word aplication is misspelled, that is the way my N800 showed the word, with one p.)

I must have some other app installed which the CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing dislikes. or it doesn't like my version of OS2007.

Bun, you said you reflashed the firmware in your N800..... but you didn't say what version you flashed.....did you flash your same old one, or the newest one like I have (38-2)? Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This thread was originally about a file transfer method over wifi, and I suggested the x11VNC method (although I acknowledged bluetooth, and sneaker-netting SD cards manually were also viable, as is using the Nokia USB cable, and these methods might even be superior even though the OP (Johni58) asked specifically about how to do it via WiFi).....this CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing is far enough off topic that I will start a new thread about it. I will list what applications I have installed on my N800....maybe that will help in determining what it is that CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing doesn't like about MY N800 set-up. Regards.

xxM5xx 2007-10-31 20:43

Done-- http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...9144#post89144

xxM5xx 2007-10-31 20:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ichmoimeyo (Post 88397)
here are a few ways you could do that xxM5xx:

1) Install Xterm
- Type: pidof x11vnc
If X11VNC is running it gives you the proces# (e.g. 3089)
and if not just blank space

- To see all the processes type: ps
If X11VNC is running you will see an entry containing:
/usr/bin/x11vnc

Xterm is a must have in my opinion.

2) For a GUI you can install Maemo Process Viewer

3) You can also use osso-statusbar-cpu for this purpose.[old screenshots]; but x11vnc will only show up if it is one of the top 3 resource users.

Thanks Ichmoimeyo !

I have used Xterm in the past and I tried your first two suggestions. One worked / did the trick. The "Pidof x11vnc" returned "Pidof: not found", but the "ps" worked wonderfully. I can see when x11VNC is a running process, and when it is absent using "ps" which is what I wanted. Thanks again! M5

ichmoimeyo 2007-10-31 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 89148)
The "Pidof x11vnc" returned "Pidof: not found" ... M5

hi M5
try again with: pidof
and NOT Pidof

[PS: it seems to me like I always need to launch 'x11vnc' twice for it to show up]

bunanson 2007-10-31 21:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by xxM5xx (Post 89138)
Thanks Bunanson, Sorry but something else is going on. On my N800 it makes no difference if x11VNC is running or off....when I try install to CPU/Mem/Screenshot applet, I get the same error message over and over. There is something else going on which is preventing the app from installing. The error message states "Aplication package is incompatible with current software" ( note the word aplication is misspelled, that is the way my N800 showed the word, with one p.)

I must have some other app installed which the CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing dislikes. or it doesn't like my version of OS2007.

Bun, you said you reflashed the firmware in your N800..... but you didn't say what version you flashed.....did you flash your same old one, or the newest one like I have (38-2)? Thanks.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This thread was originally about a file transfer method over wifi, and I suggested the x11VNC method (although I acknowledged bluetooth, and sneaker-netting SD cards manually were also viable, as is using the Nokia USB cable, and these methods might even be superior even though the OP (Johni58) asked specifically about how to do it via WiFi).....this CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing is far enough off topic that I will start a new thread about it. I will list what applications I have installed on my N800....maybe that will help in determining what it is that CPU/Mem/Screenshot thing doesn't like about MY N800 set-up. Regards.

CPU/Mem/Screen shot and load-applet assess the same cpu, cannot coexist, even youu 'mistakenly' install both, they will NOT run, can have only one of the other.

I reflashed to the same OS, the one before 38-2, the 4.2007.26-8. I know the 38-2 is supposedly fixing the SDHC problem but I read it also introduced quite some incompatibility. I rather just wait for the 2008OS.

With the two progs, CPU/Mem/Screen shot vs load-applet, I prefer the load-applet, its been awhile cannot remember why is the preference, I think the load-applet is much simplier and occupied less dead space. BTW, are you booting from MMC or flash? See if you can install while booting from the flash, if you have such a choice. I am booting from MMC. My fash has only becomeroot/Xterm installed.

Hope this helps,:)

bun