maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla1 & TOH (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Software updates for Jolla 1 have been discontinued (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=101144)

nthn 2021-01-02 11:50

Software updates for Jolla 1 have been discontinued

Perhaps this is already known, but I just found out about it today, and I didn't see any other topics about it:

The Jolla Phone, Jolla 1 or whatever you want to call it, will no longer receive new software updates. 3.4.0.24 is therefore the final version of Sailfish OS for the Jolla Phone.

The reasons are basically just that it keeps getting harder to update all of the different software components due to its really old Linux kernel, which is coincidentally also stuck at version 3.4.

Although I completely understand the reasoning behind this decision and would even make the same decision if I were in Jolla's place, it does mean that I'll have to start looking for a replacement for this brilliant little device, which has been serving as my one and only phone for seven years. The paint has chipped off in many places, the battery holds less than 70% of its original charge, five years ago the loudspeaker broke but a month later it magically repaired itself and hasn't malfunctioned since, the SIM card reader is now occasionally starting to lose connection to the SIM card, TOHKBD2 barely works anymore and has turned into an odd fridge decoration, SolarTOH never really worked in the first place though I still attached it every summer, at least 90% of modern Android software is no longer compatible, and it feels like the camera takes grainier pictures by the day. Once, my Jolla Phone was accidentally catapulted across an entire room and came out unscathed. For seven years, I've been able to boast about it still receiving all of the latest updates where other phones are already unsupported before they reach the stores. This monumental embodiment of true innovation kickstarted it all.

So long, Jolla Phone, and thanks for all the fish.

You can read Jolla's official blog about it here: https://blog.jolla.com/jolla7/

ajalkane 2021-01-03 11:19

Re: Software updates for Jolla 1 have been discontinued

My original Jolla phone endured swimming in toilet, and sleeping 2 months under snow that variated between wet and hard. And it came out unscathed. What a trooper.

coderus 2021-01-03 15:53

Amen. 10 chars.

sicelo 2021-01-04 22:56

Hope now you can install Linux on them :-)
I got Wayland (Weston) running on my N900 with GLES2 in tow!

teroyk 2021-01-06 20:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1570635)
The Jolla Phone, Jolla 1 or whatever you want to call it, will no longer receive new software updates. 3.4.0.24 is therefore the final version of Sailfish OS for the Jolla Phone.
/[/url]

Is that last version best or should I upgrade from factory version to some else?

nthn 2021-01-07 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by teroyk (Post 1570655)
Is that last version best or should I upgrade from factory version to some else?

It has a browser engine that's at least somewhat usable and has the highest compatibility with applications and patches. There's really no good reason to install an older version on purpose.

tortoisedoc 2021-01-07 18:17

Directly to the point : whats the chances for Jolla to provide
kernel sources to the community? Id love to see a more recent kernel on the phone!

olf 2021-01-08 01:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc (Post 1570668)
Directly to the point : whats the chances for Jolla to provide kernel sources to the community?

I think it is all there at https://git.sailfishos.org or in Jolla's source archives (https://releases.sailfishos.org/sources/), as well as the original Qualcomm ("CodeAurora") kernels for Android (see e.g. https://wiki.codeaurora.org/xwiki/bin/QAEP/), Jolla's kernel and adaptation is based on.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tortoisedoc
Id love to see a more recent kernel on the phone!

Well AFAIR there is one slightly newer, but for the binary modules to fit (which you cannot recompile), it still has to be and is 3.4.x.

juiceme 2021-01-08 09:44

The problem is exactly like @olf nails it; usually having kernel sources is not the glitch but the proprietary modules is.

There are ways around it, one can write wrappers for the proprietary bits and hence get as recent kernel as one desires but it is quite tedious and creates a maintanance hell.
(but yes, doable if you desperately need a once-off solution)

If you decide to go that way, be prepared to write quite a lot of support code against glibc... :) :p

tortoisedoc 2021-01-08 10:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1570674)
The problem is exactly like @olf nails it; usually having kernel sources is not the glitch but the proprietary modules is.

There are ways around it, one can write wrappers for the proprietary bits and hence get as recent kernel as one desires but it is quite tedious and creates a maintanance hell.

If you decide to go that way, be prepared to write quite a lot of support code against glibc... :) :p

Oh trust me, these are not the problems I am looking for :D

But wondering, blobs being radio / camera etc?

I guess wrapping only takes you that far, considering how usually kernel modules share different declarations in shared header files etcetcetc.

Perhaps what is surprising is;
being the phone a SoC, and being qualcomm the producer / owner, youd expect them to be able to opensource all the components.

coderus 2021-01-11 09:31

I left my Jolla 1 at Sailfish OS 1.0.0.5 version

peterleinchen 2021-01-11 11:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1570683)

But from that version it is not possible to reset!? ;):D

Q: When trying to use option #1 "Reset device to factory settings" in the Recovery Mode menu I get the warning "The flashed recovery image is too old".

juiceme 2021-01-11 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1570684)

I wonder what is the reason for that?
If factory reset would preserve user settings then it kind of makes sense that you could not roll back an encrypted filesystem for example. There is no obvious reason why it is banned as it totally erases everything...?

peterleinchen 2021-01-11 12:40

TBH I do not know.
Maybe just not implemented/provided in the (early version) recovery menu?

coderus 2021-01-11 19:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1570684)

you can use new recovery if want to, but whu want to reset anyway :))

pichlo 2021-01-13 12:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1570685)
I wonder what is the reason for that?

An arbitrary decision?
Everything else in the Jolla universe is, why should this be any different?

mattiviljanen 2021-01-15 06:17

It's sad to see the support end, but it has been a long journey! Jolla Phone struggles with its little RAM, but remove the Android support and it's still perfectly functional smartphone!

You know, just for the kicks and giggles, I'll give it a spin one more time! Let's see how well it still serves as my daily driver!

mattiviljanen 2021-01-15 06:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1570683)

The original UI sure has some serious nostalgia in it, back in the day when it was nothing but different, experimental and fun!

pichlo 2021-01-15 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattiviljanen (Post 1570712)
You know, just for the kicks and giggles, I'll give it a spin one more time! Let's see how well it still serves as my daily driver!

What do you mean, "let's see"? It is my daily driver! :D

peterleinchen 2021-01-15 18:04

But, are you also on 1.0.0.5? ;)

pichlo 2021-01-17 18:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1570717)
But, are you also on 1.0.0.5? ;)

You asking me? Hell no. Why would I want to run an obsolete version that I don't like?

paoletto 2021-01-21 18:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1570674)

This makes one thing exceptionally clear: what a piece of garbage linux is.

sicelo 2021-01-21 18:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by paoletto (Post 1570762)

Is it possible that you chose to buy the wrong kind of phone? Maybe an iPhone would have been best ...

nonsuch 2021-01-22 07:28

^ or a Windows phone :D

Anyhow, a statement like that on a forum for a Linux-based phone OS is akin to what this guy is doing.

Maemish 2021-01-22 08:14

To paoletto's comment: Why they ever made linux because it clearly is off no use and value whatsoever? Just a piece of garbage - in those billions old and new machines. Why anyone uses linux?

I claim linux is not just a piece of garbage. If what linux is could be easily done other better way around I believe it already would have been done. It's strengths are in some cases weaknesses in light of user friendliness, but life should not be measured with "used time" as the highest value. The world is already spinning too fast and coming generations will reap a nasty crop (crap) which has not been tested with long term test cycle.

deutch1976 2021-01-22 08:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by paoletto (Post 1570762)

If you are still here since 2012 it seems to be a fancy piece of garbage :D

Maemish 2021-01-22 22:13

Maybe paoletto's comment is a result of what is in "Test device lock" thread. Understandable frustration and anger. If I try something and am willing to try to solve something and someone else becomes an obstacle without a valid or sufficient reason in my mind I become really annoyed. The will to crack and will to put and sacrife time and effort and then to be blocked by another agent or entity. Almost unbearable situation which is hard to tolerate and accept.

wolke 2021-01-24 18:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by nonsuch (Post 1570770)
is akin to what this guy is doing.

whoa. you CANNOT post something like that, especially with no warning. for one thing, despite being funny for the shock value, it is in fact deeply offensive (not just because of the word).

for another thing, my computer just SHOUTED THE N-WORD. please edit your comment and remove the link, or at least caption it as 'racist joke, nsfw'

p.s.: that is EXACTLY what paoletto was doing now delete that post please... :D

paoletto 2021-01-25 10:08

hey mates, it's 2021, and there's still no sane way to produce applications that would run on linux 2028. Not even AppImage guarantees that.
Windoze does that since the nineties.
The ******** jolla did with their update is unrelated. That shows only what piece of garbage Sailfish OS is, which, even though seems related to my linux comment, it really is not.

deutch1976 2021-01-25 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by paoletto (Post 1570786)
hey mates, it's 2021, and there's still no sane way to produce applications that would run on linux 2028. Not even AppImage guarantees that.
The ******** jolla did with their update is unrelated. That shows only what piece of garbage Sailfish OS is, which, even though seems related to my linux comment, it really is not.

Now that i took a minute to think and read your last statment, i end up agreeing with you in some parts. I like Sailfish but looking at the ammount of linux distros and any os atempts, i may say it is a mess because there are so many variations where the effort put on it might become more useful if it was dedicated to one or two variation.

Maemish 2021-01-25 17:07

Now that what paoletto says is really a super annoying truth. Actually the more you think of it, the harder it is to accept. If it is not possible to solve this in a proper way, would some kind of light sandboxed emulator environment be a solutions? It is a matter that has to be solved in some way.

tortoisedoc 2021-01-26 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by paoletto (Post 1570786)

Typical over-jealous windows user behaviour, who shouts at something his mind will never grasp.

Vi worked 20 years ago. It still will work in 20.
Bask worked 15 years ago. My bash scripts from 12 years ago do exactly the same thing ever since, and still will for the next 25, 50, 75 years (if we get that far, that is).

gcc will still compile in 20 years.

Oh, and what do you think has been keeping these crappy windows irons from stopping running all these years? Thats right, linux routers. And KVM. Your future looks grim, windows-n00b :D

Or wait, maybe, just maybe you refer to all the *awesome* windows embedded devices powering our ultimate ferraris - the half of them that were built. :D

Did I mention Windows pushed a rover to mars? Yes? You never heard of it? No wonder, it never got there!

[/flame]

Veraendert 2021-02-01 08:37

Try to run an older game under Win 10.

Trzyzet 2021-02-01 09:59

Thanks to wine devs effort you can do it by D3D to oGL/vulkan interpreters.
Most of games runs just fine with no or minor graphical glitches.

paoletto 2021-02-27 16:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trzyzet (Post 1570837)
Thanks to wine devs effort you can do it by D3D to oGL/vulkan interpreters.
Most of games runs just fine with no or minor graphical glitches.

Isn't it funny that it's easier to run a win32 application from 199x on linux than a linux application from 199x (this being essentially impossible in binary form, and mostly also in source form unless it links only libc or something super simple)?

nonsuch 2021-02-28 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by paoletto (Post 1571094)
Isn't it funny that it's easier to run a win32 application from 199x on linux than a linux application from 199x (this being essentially impossible in binary form, and mostly also in source form unless it links only libc or something super simple)?

No, it isn't.
You can always install a virtual machine that can deal with that old software, or some sort of container. That's essentially what WINE does, too.