maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Install Maemo on other, non-Nokia device: phone, tablet, MID, netbook, etc.? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31806)

sleepr 2009-09-03 14:39

Install Maemo on other, non-Nokia device: phone, tablet, MID, netbook, etc.?

hello!
have anyone tried booting up maemo on the linux based HTC magic? it runs android today so it shouldnt be so hard to boot up maemo, should it? im not a developer myself, so im really asking you skilled guys out there if it would be possible and if you want to give it a try :)

zerojay 2009-09-03 14:51

Re: Running Maemo on HTC Magic

Quote:

Originally Posted by sleepr (Post 320858)
hello!
have anyone tried booting up maemo on the linux based HTC magic? it runs android today so it shouldnt be so hard to boot up maemo, should it? im not a developer myself, so im really asking you skilled guys out there if it would be possible and if you want to give it a try :)

Sorry, that's not going to happen.

ysss 2009-09-03 14:53

Re: Running Maemo on HTC Magic

HTC Hero = a new device with last year's spec.

lukasound 2009-09-17 18:39

Install Maemo on Non-Nokia Phone?

Samsung i8910 has practically the same hardware as Nokia N900...

Could it ever be possible to install Maemo on it? Maybe some skilled programmers could port it to Samsung, i guess it can't be that hard - it has the same processors as Nokia...

Or is it a stupid question? I had Nokia 5800 for 9 months now, and now i have the Samsung 8910, and dislike Symbian :)

lukasound 2009-09-18 18:01

Re: Maemo on Samsung 8910?

Is this question really that stupid or nobody knows?

davidgro 2009-09-18 18:14

Re: Maemo on Samsung 8910?

Probably no one knows. I think it would be Mer that's ported anyway, and I also think it depends less on the specs than on how locked-down the firmware is.

kdrozd 2009-10-21 15:00

Maemo5 /6 on Iphone 3GS

So I was wondering if able to run Maemo 5 OS on another phone, for example, Iphone or Palm Pre 3GS. The HW is reasonably similar? The main difference is the type of screen (capaciticve vs. resestive) and sesolution. What do you think? It would be great to have Maemo 5 / 6 on IPhone 3 GS? I think it may be possible because Maemo 6 will support capacitive multitouch screen.

joppu 2009-10-21 15:04

Re: Maemo5 /6 on Iphone 3GS

No, just no.

Seriously.

It won't even be worth the trouble. And currently, think there is some kind of barely working linux port on the iphone, without, for example, touchscreen support.

If you want to speculate, iPhone has also lower resolution display and that'd mean UI-rewamping.

The iPhone isn't a hacker friendly device, unlike for example n810, that even has a mostly working Android port!

lcuk 2009-10-21 15:08

it would be kinda cool to run maemo on these lower specced devices.
the main issue outside of drivers themselves is how well maemo UI would fit on a low resolution display.

arachnist 2009-10-21 15:09

Iphone has 320 × 480 screen resolution. All Maemo devices so far have 800x480.
No, it wouldn't just scale down.

lcuk 2009-10-21 15:17

shame
thats the same problem for the Nokia N series siblings then.
wonder if Harmattan will allow completely scalable UI so we can make use of the millions of otherwise viable devices?

bergie 2009-10-21 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by kdrozd (Post 353981)
So I was wondering if able to run Maemo 5 OS on another phone, for example, Iphone or Palm Pre 3GS.

It is unlikely that official Maemo will be possible for such devices, but if there is a Linux port then maybe Mer would be possible.

kdrozd 2009-10-21 15:30

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/21/dell-streak-is-a-5-inch-android-2-0-mid-packs-3g-and-wifi-vide/

And Maemo 5 on this? Screen resolution looks ok for me :)

Laughing Man 2009-10-22 02:01

Linux barely runs on the iPhone last time I checked..barely as in just command line.

Johnx 2009-10-22 06:24

For other people finding this thread wondering about getting Maemo/Mer on a device, here's a basic check list to follow:
1) Does it have a port of the Linux kernel, able to boot without hardware modifications?
2) Are there Linux drivers for most of the hardware (especially: framebuffer, touchscreen, any GSM or wifi or bluetooth radios you want to use)?
3) Does it have at least 127MB of RAM and a 640x480 screen?
4) Is someone already running Angstrom or Debian or Ubuntu on it (booted natively, not chrooted)?

If you've made it all the way to 4 chances are really good that you could get Mer working without too much work at all. Even if you've just made it to 3, you could probably get there with some dedication and hacking, but if you're not that far you're going to have to be (or know) a serious hacker to see Maemo/Mer running on your device inside it's lifetime.

-John

MountainX 2009-11-17 16:54

Maemo-like OS on the Droid?

Has anyone considered running one of our community OS's on the Verizon/Motorola Droid?

What obstacles are there to actually running Maemo 5 on the Droid? (And same question regarding Mer or Debian-variants.)

Assuming this is feasible, I might be willing to go get a Droid and do experiments along these lines if some knowledgeable people from the community would lend the expert support I'd need.

bri3d 2009-11-26 00:05

Re: Maemo-like OS on the Droid?

The Droid is a heavily promoted carrier phone and as such is pretty heavily locked down - you would have to reverse engineer a variety of pieces and break some signature checking and encryption in order to get any sort of 3rd-party OS on it.

No variant of Maemo has ever supported a CDMA radio, either.

So in terms of obstacles, there are an *awful* lot.

Pocahontas 2009-12-17 17:24

Maemo 5 on a non Nokia device (i.e. Lg Expo)

Hello all.

Could Maemo5 run on hardware not from Nokia? I am thinking about a device such as the LG Expo.

I really like what I see from the N900. The only problem is that it won't achieve it's full potential on At&t's network. I use At&t and like their service. I have heard nothing but bad things about T-mobile. If the LG expo could run Maemo 5 it would be just as good as a N900 on an att network.

I have also seen reports from sources such as reuters that Nokia will introduce a new phone next year. Any idea what that one will be like? (Will it support AT&T ?)

sjgadsby 2009-12-17 18:16

Re: Install Maemo on Non-Nokia Phone?

Threads merged.

Laughing Man 2009-12-17 18:23

No you cannot run Maemo on hardware Nokia does not support. Mer on the other hand you can provided you have the drivers.

PortaDiFerro 2009-12-17 19:23

Re: Install Maemo on Non-Nokia Phone, Tablet, MID, etc.?

What if some other company decided to use Maemo on their phone(s) as well, it is open source, so I guess there's nothing stopping them, as long as they make the proprietary bits themselves?

Laughing Man 2009-12-17 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by PortaDiFerro (Post 432310)
What if some other company decided to use Maemo on their phone(s) as well, it is open source, so I guess there's nothing stopping them, as long as they make the proprietary bits themselves?

Maemo is not 100% open source. It's something like 70-80% open source, 20% closed. Nokia owns Maemo. The devices you see run Maemo (like the ones in China) that aren't made by Nokia aren't legal (and if they weren't in China then Nokia would sue them).

Mer on the other hand is suppose to be 100% open source so you can run it on anything provided you have drivers for the device you run it on.

Pocahontas 2009-12-18 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Laughing Man (Post 432218)
No you cannot run Maemo on hardware Nokia does not support. Mer on the other hand you can provided you have the drivers.

You mean we can't do it legally. Legality is only a factor if I want to sell something. I just want a maemo phone I can use without downgrading to T-mobile's poorly ran network.

They use processors which are almost identical. The OMAP3 in the N900 has a slower CPU + a 400Mhz GPU. The Snapdragon in the LG Expo has a 1GhZ CPU and no GPU. The LG has some hardware that absolutely would not work (i.e. it's fingerprint reader).

However what I want to know if it is known. Could the type of processor the LG has even run the code of Maemo. Is it technically possible.

I am aware of Mer. Frankly I wouldn't even use Mer on my Nokia N810 Wimax. The last time I looked at mer It did not even look equal to Maemo4 OS2008 let alone comparable to Maemo 5.

Laughing Man 2009-12-18 01:28

Yes, you can't do it legally. Though I can't imagine you'd ever get it that far without hiding all your activities. Which then of course makes it harder to get people to work with if your putting up barriers to entry (to hide your activities). If it ever became popular enough like Cyrogen Roms for Android your going get a cease and desist letter.

It'd be easier to work with the Mer community.

u2maemo 2009-12-18 02:46

Mer seems not so active now.
it seems to be forgotten.

if I am wrong, it's better.

Pocahontas 2009-12-18 15:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by u2maemo (Post 432829)
Mer seems not so active now.
it seems to be forgotten.

if I am wrong, it's better.

Exactly. Mer seems to have been forgotten now that the N900 is out. All one needs to get an upgrade now is shell out for a superior device.

So I guess the answer is no. Maemo is going to die a slow death unless Nokia offers some options. I love the OS, but I just know if I buy an N900 I'll bethinking I could have faster mobile internet. If I switch and the reception is as awful for me as it is for everyone I know who has T-Mobile that'll be even worse.

Noxias60 2009-12-20 15:40

i have been pondering myself. I really want the n900......but it doesnt have cdma which creates a slight problem (i use verizon).

As for the os, i really love the maemo os over the android os and would be very cool if it was available for say my droid eris :p

sjgadsby 2009-12-20 15:54

Threads merged.

SD69 2009-12-20 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noxias60 (Post 435339)
i have been pondering myself. I really want the n900......but it doesnt have cdma which creates a slight problem (i use verizon).

As for the os, i really love the maemo os over the android os and would be very cool if it was available for say my droid eris :p

I have also been pondering this refusal to license Maemo on other phones. It's increasingly to Maemo's disadvantage.

Pocahontas 2009-12-21 13:54

Heck if Nokia would just produce other phones with Maemo that would do the trick. If your not going to do a license deal with any carrier, then why force your potential customers to choose one.

You all may find this interesting. I have a family member with a 3G T-Mobile phone. I paired my N810 with it by blue tooth, and.... It was no faster than my At&t phone. (My At&T phone is a Nokia E61i which does not support AT&T 3G frequencies only edge.) I guess the truth is where I live it would not matter. Those 3G services everyone advertises must not be so widespread after all. I mean there is theoretical "coverage"...but not yet a reality for most people most of the time.

All of the above said. I would want to buy a phone that could take advantage of HSPA when available. Which is probably only down town, at the airports, or other high profile locations. Places where there is probably free wifi all over the place.

Stskeeps 2009-12-21 13:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pocahontas (Post 433501)
Exactly. Mer seems to have been forgotten now that the N900 is out. All one needs to get an upgrade now is shell out for a superior device.

Nah, working as usual. If anything, Mer work is valuable to contribute to, in case Nokia does decide to not have Maemo6 on N900. In that case, if we start very early, we'll have Maemo6 on N900 by our own effort.

Laughing Man 2009-12-31 00:40

There's still people interested in Mer. For example, not everyone is happy with the path Nokia is taking. Other people have the N900 and the older internet tablets (like me!) and I still use both. The N900 is for when I am out and about. But at home I switch to the n800.

And there's this

http://mobiletablets.blogspot.com/20...rs-to-all.html

chize 2010-02-26 06:36

Maemo 5 on pocket PC

Can I install the Maemo 5 on the pocket PC like Asus P535?

chize 2010-02-26 06:37

Re: Maemo 5 on pocket PC

Is it possible?

adancau 2010-02-26 06:40

1. you need to be able to flash it with an image of your choice
2. it needs to have an arm cpu
3. it will definitely need 3d accelerated graphic drivers, and possibly other drivers for different hardware

fillip 2010-02-26 08:02

Well, it's Linux, so theoretically it is possible, but it wouldn't be easy, reliable, fast or necessarily smart to do. Every tablet that ran Maemo has had a 800 x 480 screen, so anything smaller wouldn't be a very good idea... I could come up with 200 other reasons to why it wouldn't work for your purposes, but if you want to find them, you can.

If you get a device that has Linux drivers available, has a good enough screen, fast enough processor, or anything else you might need, go ahead, good luck installing it. If not, I'd just pick up a N800 for $100 and wait for Mer^2.

Best of luck.
-fillip

roundyz 2010-02-26 20:59

xperia x1 runs winmo, runs andriod through that laucher program (cant recall the name), and the screen res is 800x400 (i think).

So luck might be there with that model.

sjgadsby 2010-02-26 21:03

The thread "Maemo 5 on pocket PC" with five posts has been merged into this thread.

smoku 2010-04-26 10:54

Running Maemo on Android hardware

Does anyone know how different is Android kernel from Maemo kernel?
Is most of the hardware abstraction handled by Linux kernel, or the Dalvik VM internals and library? Is the kernel accessible? Ie. can I supplant my own init script and run custom binary in place of Dalvik?
Is the Android hardware hackable? Ie. can I get direct access to the root partition and put custom content in?

I'm asking because I would like to get a better piece of hardware than N900 and port Maemo (ie. Mer) on it. But if android hardware is a closed black box, I won't bother.
I don't have experience with Android (and don't want to have any ;) ) and I wouldn't like to spent a lot of money on hardware I could not hack.

imperiallight 2010-04-26 16:01

Re: Running Maemo on Android hardware

This would be so good.