maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Themes (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   [N9] Harmattan 2.0 theme project (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=92773)

DJJonosound 2014-02-26 09:36

[N9] Harmattan 2.0 theme project

I thought this would be a cool idea. Basically, its an open source theme project. Anyone can contribute, just post here and I will add you to the git contributors list. Dont know how to make themes? Feel free to ask. Hopefully we can get a decent amount of people to help out and it will be a successful project.

Design goals/ideas:
If harmattan was made in 2014, what would it look like?
This project aims to put a modern twist on the harmattan look, which some still like. We can make the colors brighter, flatten the UI, change from light to dark or dark to light. Whatever seems appropriate.

Contributors list:
DJJonosound (DJJonosound)
don.edri (don-edri)
thecoder (inxp)
dak_sriv
Akkumaru

Want to contribute?
PM/post your github username.

Git link

There is a poll above, have a vote on what sort of design aspects should be used. Also, please contribute. This project will go no where without contributors.

Hurrian 2014-02-26 10:05

Re: [N9] Harmattan 2.0 theme project

I dunno about anyone else, but I think Harmattan's "fade into the OLED" aesthetic is pretty timeless.

Glacier is suposed a mild rework of Harmattan - moving out some half-baked ideas, and taking some inspiration from Android and WP.

Of course, we can't radically change Harmattan as it is now ;)
If I were you, I'd start on darkening the UI, continuing with the high-contrast thing Nokia's got going on in the Settings app.

The bottom menu bars in the Contacts and Messaging app look atrocious, and I've been wanting to change them out for some time now.

DJJonosound 2014-02-26 12:08

Sounds like you should contribute :p I do plan on getting some inspiration from glacier. Darkening will lool nice. And i have to agree. The oled thing looks nasty.. I get really bad banding.

thecoder 2014-02-26 18:14

I want to contribute...but I dont know anything.:(

haider378 2014-02-26 20:32

theme implementation idea is better in WP i.e every thing black on white and white on black

DJJonosound 2014-02-26 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoder (Post 1414481)
I want to contribute...but I dont know anything.

I can still add you to the git. All of the files are there, take a look. Most of it is css and a bit of xml. Easy to learn. You can still contribute by helping with icons though :)

haider378 2014-02-27 08:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJonosound (Post 1414515)
I can still add you to the git. All of the files are there, take a look. Most of it is css and a bit of xml. Easy to learn. You can still contribute by helping with icons though :)

I will do it for my N9:) also for of :o others

Seful 2014-02-27 09:14

Anceled here?

Ancelad 2014-02-27 09:17

I'm going to finish my theme at first.

DJJonosound 2014-02-27 09:48

At the moment the design looks like it will be aimed at:
WALLPAPER: Simple, UI: Flat, SHADE: Dark
If you dont know how to make themes, ask, I can help :)
Please remember, this project aims at a large amount of collaboration with the N9 community. The more people who help, the quicker updates and fixes can happen. The more people who vote, the more tailored the theme will be for the N9 community.

dak_sriv 2014-02-28 07:37

Add me too :D
I'll PM! :-)

Akkumaru 2014-02-28 09:00

I can contribute but as of now I have no time. Will see tomorrow ;)

DJJonosound 2014-02-28 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1414745)
I can contribute but as of now I have no time. Will see tomorrow ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by dak_sriv (Post 1414733)
Add me too :D
I'll PM! :-)

Added you both to the contributors list. PM me your github usernames and I will add you into the git :)

DJJonosound 2014-03-01 03:49

http://i.imgur.com/Tl5cdeE.png
Thoughts?
Status bar is a bit messy but that is my fault with the image editor.

Shadwblade2652 2014-03-01 04:37

I feel like the font is too ComicSans MS like

and that font annoys me so personally I don't like the font, but the icons themselves are quite nice.

dak_sriv 2014-03-01 07:35

We should probably stick with Helvetica.

thecoder 2014-03-01 08:45

can/should we use these icons from glacier
http://play.qwazix.com/grog/?p=355

and for font how about open sans...Helvetica is not open source right..

DJJonosound 2014-03-01 09:42

Open sans is pretty good. The font I used is a bit comic sans but not too much.
Thougts on the wallpaper? Not a fan of glacier icons myself.

Akkumaru 2014-03-01 10:36

Wallpaper is nice as it is ;)

Akkumaru 2014-03-02 03:27

A quick 10-minute wallpaper. Just made the wallpaper out of the blue, I didn't really plan much :p http://i.imgur.com/5hGUiEi.png

DJJonosound 2014-03-02 10:01

Hmm. Maybe we should include both wallpapers in theme and either push multiple versions or make a switcher. Thoughts?

Akkumaru 2014-03-03 01:05

What I think would be best is to have one wallpaper for unification, but also include the wallpapers made by other people as an option.

DJJonosound 2014-03-03 10:12

So which one do we use?

thecoder 2014-03-03 14:13

we should use the darker one as in polls..

I want to start working on icons...do we have any guidelines??

Shadwblade2652 2014-03-04 01:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoder (Post 1415230)

If you want to stay true to harmattan, I think the Icons should be as plain as possible. Not like boringly plain, but make them nice and simple, sort of like what iOS 7 has.

Ta76eem 2014-03-04 12:26

will you use your port hole icons ?

kapu2 2014-03-05 00:38

on the subject of icons, there was a user on the daily mobile forum who was working on an iOS theme for symbian belle. i loved the look of the icons he made. flattened, but still the traditional nokia squricle icons. :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...-no/128159.png

sorry i don't have a better picture, i'd take a screencap of the icons in action but i don't have a symbian phone anymore. but maybe the harmattan 2.0 icons could follow this kind of style?

Shadwblade2652 2014-03-05 03:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by kapu2 (Post 1415482)
on the subject of icons, there was a user on the daily mobile forum who was working on an iOS theme for symbian belle. i loved the look of the icons he made. flattened, but still the traditional nokia squricle icons. :D

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-q...-no/128159.png

sorry i don't have a better picture, i'd take a screencap of the icons in action but i don't have a symbian phone anymore. but maybe the harmattan 2.0 icons could follow this kind of style?

I like the squircle idea, but I don't like the traditional ones (The icon pictures themselves). I think circular or squircular icons that resemble iOS 7 while retaining most of MeeGo's elements is the best way to go.

Akkumaru 2014-03-05 03:31

It doesn't matter what wallpaper we use. I believe we should get more wallpaper coming in and vote on one. For icons, I believe we should use squircle, but a rather minimalist version. For flat or 3D, I don't mind any.
EDIT: And I would like a transparent feel ;)

DJJonosound 2014-03-05 08:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by thecoder (Post 1415230)

Do you have photoshop? I can send you the template I have been using as a psd.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ta76eem (Post 1415388)
will you use your port hole icons ?

Nope
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akkumaru (Post 1415491)
It doesn't matter what wallpaper we use. I believe we should get more wallpaper coming in and vote on one. For icons, I believe we should use squircle, but a rather minimalist version. For flat or 3D, I don't mind any.
EDIT: And I would like a transparent feel ;)

Fair enough. I too like transparency a lot.
I really am not a fan of squircle. Well at least not the N9 squircle. I always use a theme :P Maybe add more circle or square to the squircle.

thecoder 2014-03-05 16:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJonosound (Post 1415507)
Do you have photoshop? I can send you the template I have been using as a psd.

please send me...:)

kapu2 2014-03-06 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadwblade2652 (Post 1415490)
I like the squircle idea, but I don't like the traditional ones (The icon pictures themselves). I think circular or squircular icons that resemble iOS 7 while retaining most of MeeGo's elements is the best way to go.

oh no, the glyphs are definitely in need of a refresh! just thought i'd throw out the squircle suggestion. it's very unique to nokia. microsoft has the square, apple has the rounded rectangle, firefox seems to have claimed the circle, and nokia rocks the squircle. :) it's unique to the brand so i thought it might look good in a harmattan refresh. i would be a little disappointed if the new theme just turned in to iOS 2.0. :p

DJJonosound 2014-03-11 08:15

Fair enough. I will squirclify the icons a bit then when I get the chance.

Unfortunately my laptop is in need of serious repairs and I cant get it into the apple store until thursday. After that it will probably be a 2 week wait. That means I cant get the psds off it either. Very disappointed with the design defects in the macbook I have.

DJJonosound 2014-03-16 06:37

1 Attachment(s)
Happy to say I got my laptop back, so I will squircle the icons a bit and upload a psd :)

Edit:
Hows this for a squircle?
Attachment 34851

salahkhani 2014-03-16 11:11

waiting for your astonishing icons but please make them something unique 3d or something

mcbook 2014-03-16 11:38

hey guys,

just saw this thread and I thinks it is awesome!!!

so I like to contribute as well...

I just know some basic css but I like to think I am pretty good with photoshop and illustrator

If there is any demand for graphics (icons, whatever....) let me know!

I love my N9 and I feel this project can deliver new aspects and a new look and feel to our beloved devices

DJJonosound 2014-03-16 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by salahkhani (Post 1416976)
waiting for your astonishing icons but please make them something unique 3d or something

Take a look at the poll above, we are going for a flat, simple, dark theme :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcbook (Post 1416978)
hey guys,

just saw this thread and I thinks it is awesome!!!

so I like to contribute as well...

I just know some basic css but I like to think I am pretty good with photoshop and illustrator

If there is any demand for graphics (icons, whatever....) let me know!

I love my N9 and I feel this project can deliver new aspects and a new look and feel to our beloved devices

Any help is good help ;) PM your github username and I will add you in. I will be uploading the psd for the icons soon, so thats something you can help with. Probably will make a gdocs page for keeping track of everything done :)

DJJonosound 2014-03-17 20:57

Any thoughts on the squircle? I will upload the PSD soon and start work on the rest of the set if there are no contradictory opinions.

mcbook 2014-03-18 11:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJJonosound (Post 1417244)
Any thoughts on the squircle? I will upload the PSD soon and start work on the rest of the set if there are no contradictory opinions.

flat, simple, elegant ...

I like it! ;)

DJJonosound 2014-03-18 11:59

Here is a .psd template of the icon frame.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xujqonxm7nbbb28/TEMPLATE.psd
If we all use the same template we should get a consistent theme.
For icons we should use the flat inner icon, and a simple bright pastel colour like above for the background.