maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Tizen (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=61)
-   -   The TIZEN Thread (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84269)

immi.shk 2012-05-14 17:30

The TIZEN Thread

GOOD NEWS GUY'S
Samsung and Intel have wittily enabled the platform to run Android applications as well. Using a special “Application Compatibility” layer, the Tizen platform, and the first tablet it powers can run virtually any app from the Google Play store.

http://st.gsmarena.com/pics/12/05/ti...marena_001.jpg

http://tablet-news.com/2012/05/13/fi...-android-apps/

C H E E R S :)

Dave999 2012-05-14 17:34

Re: THE TIZEN THREAD [Good-News]

Old new but thanks anyway. But we don't have confirmation from samsung that they will include this layer for the devices. It's still just a demo.

Alc must be added by vendors, it's not possible for consumers to add this. Wait until we get confirmation, please!

http://openmobileww.com/

HtheB 2012-05-14 17:35

alien dalvik.... anyone?

PartyboyXP 2012-05-14 17:39

Tizen sucks
Long live to Maemo & Meego!

MINKIN2 2012-05-14 17:41

How open is Tizen again? Could this ACL be extracted some how?

Edit: Just seen Chucks post

zimon 2012-05-14 17:41

Great news!
Android-apps compatibility is what will make Tizen to have a real possibility to succeed. Without it it would be too difficult to raise.

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-05-14 17:42

is any of you trying to port tizen to some handset devices ?

1st a rootfs image would be fine to chroot in

immi.shk 2012-05-14 17:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by PartyboyXP (Post 1206646)
Tizen sucks
Long live to Maemo & Meego!

but, Tizen is family :)

Dave999 2012-05-14 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 (Post 1206647)
How open is Tizen again? Could this ACL be extracted some how?

No. Openmobileww.com would not allow that. However samsung or Google could buy openmobileww.com if this Is any good.

pycage 2012-05-14 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1206651)
but, Tizen is family :)

Family Tree:
Code:

Maemo  +  Moblin      LiMo
      |    |          |
      |    |          |
    MeeGo  |          |
            +-----+----+
                  |
                  |
                Tizen

Not in Maemo's side of the family...

immi.shk 2012-05-14 18:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris (Post 1206642)
Old new but thanks anyway. But we don't have confirmation from samsung that they will include this layer for the devices. It's still just a demo.

Alc must be added by vendors, it's not possible for consumers to add this. Wait until we get confirmation, please!

http://openmobileww.com/

what i feel is
NOKIA will do whatever they want.. but
SAMSUNG will do whatever they can..

zimon 2012-05-14 18:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1206660)
Family Tree:
Code:

Maemo  +  Moblin      LiMo
      |    |          |
      |    |          |
    MeeGo  |          |
            +-----+----+
                  |
                  |
                Tizen

Not in Maemo's side of the family...

Except that "Meego" there is Harmattan and real Meego is parent of Tizen also.

pycage 2012-05-14 18:12

AFAIK only Tizen IVI shares genes with real MeeGo.
Harmattan OTOH shares no genes with Moblin.

zimon 2012-05-14 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1206664)
what i feel is
NOKIA will do whatever they want

NOKIA will do whatever Microsoft allows and tells it to do.

www.rzr.online.fr 2012-05-14 18:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1206667)
AFAIK only Tizen IVI shares genes with real MeeGo.
Harmattan OTOH shares no genes with Moblin.

hey there are linux and gnu ancestors : adam and eva of what we care of :-)

plus the debian grandmother isnt it ?

MINKIN2 2012-05-14 18:46

So where does Nemo fit in to this family? Sorry, I have not been following their development to the letter, but is that not Meego with Tizen API's?

pycage 2012-05-14 18:49

Nemo is the one and only true MeeGo. Nokia UI on an Intel OS.

MINKIN2 2012-05-14 18:54

Hahhh, I see now. And I was thinking of mer as well.

Just been reading the wiki pages, had a fork confusion there for a moment lol

pycage 2012-05-14 19:06

Mer is the MeeGo core forked and continued by the Open Source community.

harikris2000 2012-05-14 19:09

There is cordiaHD as well

Kangal 2012-05-14 23:54

So not only is Tizen a castrated Linux build, it will have sloppy HTML programs and sluggish Java Programs....I only have this response:
http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/..._your_aids.jpg

zimon 2012-05-15 00:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1206795)
So not only is Tizen a castrated Linux build, it will have sloppy HTML programs and sluggish Java Programs...

Android phones do not have sluggish Java Programs, so why should Tizen? Bad non optimized VM?

And as it is Linux system, most likely you can install and run Qt/C++ and Qt/Python programs on it also. As they are porting Qt to Android, surely it will be ported (if it even needs porting) to Tizen.

gerbick 2012-05-15 04:09

Okay. Really didn't expect to see hatred for a Linux Foundation hosted mobile OS that's based off of Linux. Quite surprising actually.

I don't see Tizen as being an option until they do something on the hardware side that catches everybody off-guard. Something on the level of Galaxy S3 or something else highly advanced (name your poison).

I don't see open-sourced WebOS being an option because most of those folks have moved on to other, more profitable platforms. Same for Harmattan.

Regardless... I'm waiting to see what happens with Tizen. My hopes are capped to limit and manage my expectations.

Estel 2012-05-15 04:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1206823)
Okay. Really didn't expect to see hatred for a Linux Foundation hosted mobile OS that's based off of Linux. Quite surprising actually.

Personally, i do not care what is blessed or not by Linux Foundation. I care for meritocratic value of it.

Only and sole point of interest I may have in any Tizen device, is if Mer manage to put 100% working (hardware components, drivers, etc) Mer on it, and Nemo maturates enough. +, if I'll be able to install it whipping Tizen out of device, thus running Mer/Nemo without any speed disadvantage.

for any other purposes, it's a hoax.

/Estel

zimon 2012-05-15 05:14

Old farts need to read this paper:
http://www.ecst.csuchico.edu/~julian...than%20C++.pdf

...and understand about runtime optimizations concept:
http://researchweb.watson.ibm.com/pe...eee-survey.pdf

ON increasing type of family of applications JIT-compiled and interpreted programs are as fast or could be even faster than fully precompiled ones.

Android users do not complain the applications would run slowly, even in low end droids.

immi.shk 2012-05-15 05:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1206834)
Personally, i do not care what is blessed or not by Linux Foundation. I care for meritocratic value of it.

Only and sole point of interest I may have in any Tizen device, is if Mer manage to put 100% working (hardware components, drivers, etc) Mer on it, and Nemo maturates enough. +, if I'll be able to install it whipping Tizen out of device, thus running Mer/Nemo without any speed disadvantage.

for any other purposes, it's a hoax.

/Estel

but what i feel is..
Tizen is a survivor from a great legacy..

and if SAMSUNG is enthusiastic enough to add an ACL(android compatibility layer) to Platform they just came across

IMHO, we(TMO people) too are passionate enough to atleast try to add a MCL(maemo/meego compatibility layer) to Platform which is directly/indirectly derived from Ours..

Stskeeps 2012-05-15 05:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by gerbick (Post 1206823)

Off topic:

Sadly, my experience has been that even if a project is based in the Linux Foundation, it has more to deal with pooling resources in a shared manner than anything remotely dealing with open governance or stated open goals of any projects. Where money interests trumps sane technical arguments.

That said, Tizen may have potential for the simple reason that they actually provide a quite fast web runtime that may be useful across many Linux distributions. Giving Linux the common 'app' story it so desperately needs. Despite all the nay-sayers, this web runtime really runs damn fast.

But I don't believe there'll ever be a proper open governance for that. At least it'll be balanced with W3C interactions. But I don't see anybody sane complaining about their Chrome browser on Linux not being open and democratic..

SamGan 2012-05-15 05:48

Will the parents of Tizen allow Android apps to be run and lose the income from a proprietary app store?

Zoxir 2012-05-15 06:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamGan (Post 1206851)
Will the parents of Tizen allow Android apps to be run and lose the income from a proprietary app store?

I was actually thinking something else. How will google see this development, meaning if tizen devices come to the market and can use android apps, will they just stand by or will they start kicking? Even though it will probably depend on the success of tizen.

immi.shk 2012-05-15 08:56

Tizen on Samsung Galaxy S II HD LTE
showed off a few more features, such as photo gallery, videos and live calls...

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget..../05/tizen1.jpg

http://f1205.hizliresim.com/x/g/5v185.png

VIDEO- Tizen on Samsung Galaxy SII HD - Gallery, Live ...

SOURCE-1

SOURCE-2

Dave999 2012-05-15 09:39

You know we have another tizen thread. A merge would be nice...or we post same info twice.

immi.shk 2012-05-17 03:16

Tizen Devices Might Utilize Hardware of Samsung Galaxy S3 :)

pycage 2012-05-17 08:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1206795)
So not only is Tizen a castrated Linux build, it will have sloppy HTML programs and sluggish Java Programs...

HTML5 is not like HTML4. It's nowhere sloppy or sluggish. In fact on WebKit it performs better than QML and the rendering of CSS3 is hardware accelerated.

Kangal 2012-05-17 13:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1207714)
HTML5 is not like HTML4. It's nowhere sloppy or sluggish. In fact on WebKit it performs better than QML and the rendering of CSS3 is hardware accelerated.

Its been a while since I last looked at HTML. But even with v5, I hear there's things left to be desired (don't know what those things are people complaining of though).

HTML5 is the choice for the web, I'm still not sure its good enough to completely replace native/semi coding on the device.

Dave999 2012-05-17 13:47

o
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kangal (Post 1207821)
Its been a while since I last looked at HTML. But even with v5, I hear there's things left to be desired (don't know what those things are people complaining of though).

HTML5 is the choice for the web, I'm still not sure its good enough to completely replace native/semi coding on the device.

But you still complaining? :eek:

Let's wait and see...

pycage 2012-05-17 15:16

The experience with HTML5 depends a lot on the engine. Webkit is currently the best. Firefox' Gecko OTOH is really disappointing in terms of performance and smoothness.

JavaScript is a weird and often misunderstood language. With modern JIT compiling it's incredibly fast. But in order to write clean code with JavaScript, you need a lot of discipline and background knowledge about its quirks.

ibrakalifa 2012-05-17 15:31

its there, tizen forum is up, yaaay

Reggie 2012-05-17 15:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibrakalifa (Post 1207861)

Thanks for posting it. :) I'm running a different forum software at the Tizen Talk forum. It has more features but I'm still learning it. ;)

ibrakalifa 2012-05-17 16:02

Re: The TIZEN Thread

already register, but doesnt held the device atm, :(

immi.shk 2012-05-17 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 1207864)
Thanks for posting it. :) I'm running a different forum software at the Tizen Talk forum. It has more features but I'm still learning it. ;)

are we(TMO) connected to T2F or we need to register?