maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Jolla Tablet (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How can you disassemble the Jolla Tablet? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100578)

nthn 2018-11-30 10:43

How can you disassemble the Jolla Tablet?

The charging port on mine broke (plugging it in the charger, the battery is actually drained instead of charged) and I want to put in a new one. I've read it's easy to disassemble and solder in a new microUSB port, but as there are no screws anywere, I'm not sure how to start pulling it apart without breaking anything.

endsormeans 2018-11-30 10:48

Re: How can you disassemble the Jolla Tablet?

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...8_pri_larg.jpg

endsormeans 2018-11-30 10:48

ooooooh!
"without" breaking anything....

hmm....

endsormeans 2018-11-30 10:50

https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/i...ee0acbc789.jpg

nthn 2018-11-30 11:03

https://i.imgur.com/aCpshk9.png

pichlo 2018-11-30 11:17

Come on, nthn, it wasn't that bad!

coderus 2018-11-30 11:25

gently remove top and bottom plastic pads and unscrew some screws

nthn 2018-11-30 12:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1551318)

Thanks! I removed the black plastic pads and unscrewed the screws that were revealed (three in the front and four in the back). It looks like the back side is attached with five clips. I can easily unclip the side with three clips, but the two clips on the other side are stuck. It also seems like the two white strips with the buttons and microUSB port should come off, but they won't budge. Am I missing a step or are they just really hard to take off?

Edit: the white strips are attached to the back side, and were just really hard to take off. I can now confirm that the tablet is easy to pry open.

deutch1976 2018-11-30 12:27

Some pictures and a soft DIY would be great for others :)

feedme 2018-11-30 15:44

Remove SD card!!!!!!!!!!

Bundyo 2018-11-30 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1551318)

Yeah, I also had to change the port on mine twice.

Bundyo 2018-11-30 17:35

Also there was a chinese site with step by step instructions and pictures.

nthn 2018-11-30 19:49

Strangely, I can't see any loose connections when wiggling the cable (although the connection does get dropped when the cable is in certain positions). I'm wondering if this could be a software issue as well as a hardware issue, as in it's not keeping track of the actual charge correctly. I managed to really quickly charge it from 30% to 90+%, had dinner, came back to the charging tablet, and suddenly the charge was way down to 54% again, and going down fast. The device doesn't heat up, either, so it probably isn't caused by the CPUs going berserk. I'll order a new charging port regardless, but the way it's looking right now, I don't know if it'll solve anything.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1551327)
Yeah, I also had to change the port on mine twice.

Did you have issues similar to what I described above? I really hope it's just this one component that's broken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by feedme (Post 1551326)
Remove SD card!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for mentioning this. Luckily I don't have an SD card inserted with 64GB of storage already there, but I would absolutely have forgotten all about it if I did.

Bundyo 2018-12-01 10:02

Yeah, it was charging only in certain positions and if force was applied for instance from below. Finally I was fed up with it, opened it, then brought it in a service center to solder a new port (didn't want to leave the opening to them:). Same thing after an year.

Mine broke twice as my kids use it from time to time. :)

nthn 2018-12-02 10:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 1551341)
Yeah, it was charging only in certain positions and if force was applied for instance from below. Finally I was fed up with it, opened it, then brought it in a service center to solder a new port (didn't want to leave the opening to them:). Same thing after an year.

Mine broke twice as my kids use it from time to time. :)

Thank you! I'll make sure to replace it, then.

nthn 2019-02-09 15:56

Un-be-lie-va-ble. I got the port replaced not even a month ago and it's broken again already. It always claims it's charging, but it never actually charges. I even made sure to be as gentle as possible whenever I had to plug it in the past couple of weeks! At least this time the current doesn't flow the wrong way, it just doesn't charge even though it knows it's plugged in. What a horrifyingly badly designed port!

nthn 2019-02-12 10:12

Come to think of it, would it technically be possible to install a different port (as in USB-C, or mini-USB, or whatever) instead of the horrible micro-USB port? I find conflicting statements when trying to look this up, so I assume it isn't possible, but I'd still like to know for sure.

Just to make it clear, I don't care one bit about the actual USB connectivity as I access the filesystem wirelessly anyway, all I'd want to work is the charging aspect. I wouldn't mind cutting a slightly larger hole in the plastic at all if it meant I'd get a more solid connection that wouldn't cost me a fortune having to replace it every other week.

juiceme 2019-02-12 14:28

Depends totally on the component layout, if you find an usb-c connector with same or nearly same trace layout then I suppose there is no reason it shouldn't work.

coderus 2019-02-12 20:36

the best you can do is to solder cable instead of port

nthn 2019-02-12 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1553950)
Depends totally on the component layout, if you find an usb-c connector with same or nearly same trace layout then I suppose there is no reason it shouldn't work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1553965)
the best you can do is to solder cable instead of port

Thanks, guys. I'll look into both options.