maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whither the revolution? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23226)

RogerS 2008-08-28 18:28

Whither the revolution?

Quote:

Three years ago, the Nokia Internet Tablet was revolutionary: it had a screen wide enough to display a web page, it cost way less than you'd expect, it was meant for carrying around in a way that no laptop/notebook ever had been. WiFi was engendering the walkaround web.

Add a webcam, GPS, keyboard; make it faster, more reliable; keep churning away at the migration of free-libre-open-source software. Three years down the road and the tablet team has not stopped pushing the envelope.

But is Nokia's tablet revolutionary anymore?

My son's friend does as much or more with his iPod Touch (16GB model for $269.99) [1] — even though it is more restricted in what it can do.

Both Apple's and Nokia's tablets forgo disk drives, emphasizing the screen. But the the iPod touch and its progenitor, the iPhone, instantly persuade you that a keyboard is unneeded and unnecessary. The media aspects — video and YouTube video, music and accessing music via the web — push other considerations aside: the idea that the lame telco phones suffice for the walkaround web couldn't be more effectively (or contemptuously) dismissed.

Contrary to the optimistic predictions, ubiquitous and free WiFi hasn't materialized yet. For now, the walkaround web depends on a tablet screen and a data-cellphone connection. That's where the iPhone is situated, not the Internet Tablet, and by its sales figures you have to concede that bundling the connection with the screen appeals to more people than separating them.

I'm reminded of the quote from a French revolutionary leader [2], "There go the people. I must follow them. I am their leader."

Um, the people are heading off in another direction.

Are we going with them? And if so, what is necessary for the Nokia Internet Tablet to remain in the forefront of the tablet revolution?

Dropping the price would keep it there. (For a while, anyway.) Some people have argued the interface ought to abandon the computer GUI heritage and adopt a big-graphic Apple-like approach. You know you'll see phone companies offering some Apple-influenced devices soon.

And there's the phone.

Some while back, I wished for an impossibility — a slot in the NIT for a SIM card, so it could connect via a telco data plan. Why not just make it a phone then, a la the iPhone? I don't know. I guess I want it to be a tablet, not a phone, unless I'm using a voip connection.

Subconciously, I must have accepted the argument that Nokia is approaching the iPhone feature-set from two directions — smart phones that would become more and more computery, and the Internet Tablet, which would be always a complement to (and not a replacement for) a cellphone.

But without ubiquitous online access, the NIT just gives us the semi-revolutionary walk-around-the-office-or-home-only web. So, one way or another, that has to change. Maybe it means we'll see a phone added to the NIT. Or phone/NIT bundles from the carriers. Or WiFi-hotspot/NIT bundles.

Unless it gives me the web everywhere, the NIT falls into the merely convenient and not revolutionary category.

Of course, there is one way we're still participating in revolutionary activity. That's via the FLOSS/Linux connection. The keyboard on the N810 may be a step backward from the perspective of the interface, but it greatly simplifies using a ported Linux-desktop app.

And that's a big deal. Partly because it ensures an inexhaustible supply of software. And underlying the web and our incarnation of it, the walkaround web, is our understanding that it has flourished because of the open nature of that earlier revolution.

Whereas "open" is not a word that appears in frequent proximity of "Apple." The iPhone is engendering what we might term a Disney revolution, one in which the benefits accrue mostly to one company (which provides more entertaining or novel experiences to us customers than we got before).

When you see Nokia giving its $800-million investment in Symbion to an open-source foundation, you know that it is acting in its own financial interests. Nothing else could explain such sums. The tablet/phone OS field is weighted in favor of Apple and Microsoft and Google, and so Nokia is looking around to see who its friends are.

That would be us.

We're Nokia's friends. Us, the Maemo community, the FLOSS community, the Linux believers.

The revolutionary mob, as it were.

I believe the Nokia tablet is going to thrive in direct proportion to our community's success in promoting/extending/liberating Maemo. Because Nokia may not ever release a $100 NIT with a SIM-card slot, but some enterprising Asian manufacturer likely will. And running Maemo on all those Microsoft-spec'd UMPC's is going to bring even more people into the fold who are interested in tablet-sized apps working better. Every improvement developed on the outside will benefit the Internet Tablets that Nokia makes, and a larger pool of tablet users (especially Maemo tablet users) means a larger potential audience for Nokia to sell to.

And maybe the N810's built-in GPS and cam calling will finally get the attention it deserves.

So I'm looking forward to the meeting in Berlin next month. Will it be a revolutionary congress that dissolves into infighting and factions? Or one that presses forward to spread the revolution?

[2] This was said by Alexandre Ledru-Rollin during the 1848 revolution, and not the 1789 revolution.
Read the full article.

blender1968 2008-08-28 19:44

Re: Whither the revolution?

I've had a NIT810 for several months now and I think it's an amazing device BUT -

Phones are going to get larger and threaten the utility of the NIT - especially when Skyfire becomes generally available.

AND

Netbooks are about the same price as a NIT and provide a better hardware spec (at the expense of some of the mobility/convenience of the NIT).

I am already thinking of getting a Netbook or a Nokia N96 (hopefully with Skyfire in the near future).

Cheers

ARJWright 2008-08-28 19:50

Interesting, you see the tech as being the revolution. I see it as only a component in it. The revolution is behaviors, and specifically what consitutes:

- business to consumer relations
- innovations from community development versus closed-shops
- the browser as a platform
- mobile as layer to lifestyle instead of an appendage to it

The IT and FLOSS communities have shown how Nokia wants to relate to businesses and customers. Its changed things for them, and given other companies a look at how b2b, c2b, etc. processes need to adapt.

Innovations can come fast and furious from community involvement, but there needs to be education and share understanding of business processes on both sides to make point #2 work best. Nokia is also in front here, partially becuase of the work with FLOSS, the IT, and other acquisitions.

The IT browser needs work to do what the aim of the platform is. It will get there, but not sure that it will be recognizable when it does as a browser as much as it will be a component, probably the only one most users see, when it does get there.

Nokia has been pitching mobile as a part of life. See the Morph Concept as merly a stated example of where the IT is going. Its not only a matter of passive communition, but of active living and sustaining oneself with technology for personal and community gain.

The IT is a very small slice of the picture of what Nokia is trying to do; and I've already wrote on this once today, its not a small flip that is happening and what we see here with the IT is only another spoke in what we all should have realized years ago.

Traecer 2008-08-28 20:06

Given that 2 Nokia people in the past week (one was just an employee at a Nokia store) told me without any prompting that the next tablet will have a phone module in it, I think the failure of ubquitious WiFi will not be a limitation to the tablets going forward.

icebox 2008-08-28 20:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by blender1968 (Post 218663)
Phones are going to get larger and threaten the utility of the NIT - especially when Skyfire becomes generally available.

Hm, I heard all the skyfire buzz and I'm a bit skeptical:

First: the s60 browser is good enough at displaying realistic webpages on small screens. No matter how good the browser is good comon sense and Newtonian physics dictates that the much buzzed around "desktop like browsing experience" can only happen on a ... desktop. There's no way in h311 you can fit desktop experience in a 2.4'' screen. Even if you make that screen VGA (like some asked for that E71 - but that's another stupidity) you will get very small fonts and yes, it will look like your browser but from 20 meters away.
Second: I think the days of Blazer and the like are over - at least on smartphones. Heck I don't trust me with my passwords, why would I want to browse using some unknown and out of control proxy servers.

Sorry for getting way ot but I get puzzled on why would someone build a business and everyone (and their cats) would blog about how you can stuck 17-22 inches worth of webpage in 2.4'' and still be the same great experience.

GeneralAntilles 2008-08-28 20:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traecer (Post 218669)
Given that 2 Nokia people in the past week (one was just an employee at a Nokia store) told me without any prompting that the next tablet will have a phone module in it, I think the failure of ubquitious WiFi will not be a limitation to the tablets going forward.

Well, uh, duh. . . . Since the next tablet is the N810W and it has a WiMAX radio in it. :rolleyes:

Texrat 2008-08-28 20:22

The tablets explored a territory that was still mostly virgin. They drove a great deal of discussion over exactly what is needed in this new space. Nokia is definitely absorbing and processing the feedback. Our guys would be foolish not to.

It's a mistake to assume that the N810 represents some sort of pinnacle (or dead-end, depending on your frame of mind)... yet I see such comments made constantly. As if the mere introduction of a competitive product wil automatically kill Nokia's efforts. While this can be true, it does not neccesarily need to be.

Nokia can afford to be patient and progress deliberately here. Companies like Apple could not. They "bet the farm" on their novel products. As we have discussed ad nauseum, that makes a HUGE difference in how a given company approaches this market.

Just wait. ;)

Texrat 2008-08-28 20:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by blender1968 (Post 218663)
Netbooks are about the same price as a NIT and provide a better hardware spec (at the expense of some of the mobility/convenience of the NIT).

You seem to be downplaying the value of that mobility. To many, it is worth the cost. So that if the Nxxx tablet and a given low-cost laptop cost the same (or even less for the laptop), and the laptop has more features and capability, someone will STILL purchase the Nxxx tablet because that mobility factor has value.

Heck, I have and use both. They are not mutually exclusive. There is certainly overlap, but that should not completely preclude ownership of both. The differences are the motivating factor(s) that drive purchase.

sjgadsby 2008-08-28 20:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 218677)
Just wait.

What, no "hee hee hee"? Are you unwell?

Texrat 2008-08-28 21:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 218681)
What, no "hee hee hee"? Are you unwell?

Used up my weekly quota in the other thread. :p

Zuber 2008-08-28 21:28

I just find it frustrating that Nokia Can't be bothered (that's how it looks from here) to just throw a resonable level of resources at developing the software that would make the N8xx fantastic for consumer and geek alike.

There is just so much that Nokia could do if they had the mind to, but instead it is just left to simmer and the community.

It's good that the communitiy can do stuff, but if Nokia just put 1% of the resource that Apple probably did in developing the iPhone, then we would already have most of the things that a revolutionary device should and a lot more besides. I bet they would be selling at 10 times the rate as well.

It almost seams like they lack the vision or there is just to much inertia to make things happen.

Come on Nokia get of your Ar*e and put some real effort in.

Rant Over!!!

Zuber

ARJWright 2008-08-29 01:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 218722)
I just find it frustrating that Nokia Can't be bothered (that's how it looks from here) to just throw a resonable level of resources at developing the software that would make the N8xx fantastic for consumer and geek alike.

There is just so much that Nokia could do if they had the mind to, but instead it is just left to simmer and the community.

It's good that the communitiy can do stuff, but if Nokia just put 1% of the resource that Apple probably did in developing the iPhone, then we would already have most of the things that a revolutionary device should and a lot more besides. I bet they would be selling at 10 times the rate as well.

It almost seams like they lack the vision or there is just to much inertia to make things happen.

Come on Nokia get of your Ar*e and put some real effort in.

Rant Over!!!

Zuber

Its like a person speaks in a vaccum and is almost never heard over the drones of music playing in the head..

Nokia is facilitating the IT as a community-driven effort. The vision and innovation is being given to the community of users to exploit with Nokia providing VERY HIGH LEVEL direction and resource allocation where needed. This has been said OVER AND OVER. The inability of software to be sharpened on the IT is a community issue just as much as it is a Nokia one, and a good deal moreso since its the community that are its MAIN and ONLY voice to the consumer.

Find a way to contribute and fix your perspective please.

Texrat 2008-08-29 04:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 218722)

Don't assume that the past dictates the present or future... or that absence of evidence means evidence of absence.

Jayayess1190 2008-08-29 05:48

I must be one of few people that does not want a phone in everything. I would hope that the next gen tablet improves on the N810, without adding a phone.

XTC 2008-08-29 06:42

As for the built-in phone concept.
Sure - If somebody sees my n810 /and previously 770/ and is able to read "nokia" on it - it means "this is a phone".
In fact in Poland we don't have really cheap data transfer rates - every with some kind of GB limit.
If we could back in time let's say - 5 years it would be nice to have such transfers for this amount of cash but - the time passes by.
Everyone (well - almost) is getting used to min. 1-2-10MBit connection (and I don't think about cellular "super-duper" transfers promissed by HSDPA) at home.
Then - I should pay twice - once for home access, then for my pocket-access.
Since I've got internet at home, at work and at school - this would be a kind of waste for me.
Last time I was on bussines trip I had to use my E51 /connected to edge since there was no hsdpa at this spot/ for simple tasks like e-mail and www.
It was surely pain...
Why?
On mobile phone's when one uses something like "opera mini" where pages are optimized and are very small - downloading page in oryginal form (usually over 300 elements per page) takes so much time that I see it as unusable.
Today's webpages are killers for small computers - so what they do for mobile devices?
In this world - from my point of view tablets are VERY efficient in browsing as mobile devices. And everything slower than WiFi is only acceptable in critical situations.
Data lags between packets in cellular networks are so huge, that downloading standard web-page is highly inefficient.
Ok - I haven't seen iPhone3G in action but network transfer issues remain the same regardless of platform.
From that point of view - built in phone would be only a gadget for me.
I don't like the idea of such big phone but also I can't imagine using so small phone displays for the web (maybe I'm just getting older since years ago I was excited to have flat WAP rate with B/W display phone SiemensME45 then Nokia3650 and wasted a LOT of time browsing the web on them :).

harpgliss 2008-08-29 07:12

Hi,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayayess1190 (Post 218831)
I must be one of few people that does not want a phone in everything. I would hope that the next gen tablet improves on the N810, without adding a phone.

I so agree with you.

Just got A N800 and and flat out would have hated it if it had come with A phone built into it.

This does exactly what I expected and want, why put something in there I would never use.

Hate cell phones with A passion, I have one but hate using it.

I hope Nokia continues with producing new models as I really enjoy my NIT.

Figures though, I used to use A Sony Clie, Then A Dell Axim x50V.

Both discontinued but still useful, I hope Nokia bucks the trend of me choosing obsolete or soon to be obsolete gear.

David

Khertan 2008-08-29 07:21

Quote:

I must be a other one ...

And yes i hate the iPhone, too small screen, constant zoom in/out when navigate, and specially is virtual keyboard that is useless to write more than 10 words !

I hope that nokia will keep the same form factor of the n810 for futur models, and that we will not get stupid phone things in it.

moom 2008-08-29 07:21

In recognize in RogerS's post the hope the get to the "ultimate" device, the perfect one that will suit all needs, all kind of usage, all expectations.
Personnally, I'm convinced we will just never get to that point. Just as there is a huge variety of human communities and cultures, or even more, just as there are billions of individuals on earth, you obviously ends up with thousands or millions of different expectations, habits, .... And therefore, looking back at portable internet devices or assimilated technologies, you will always have to provide a multitude of variations in order to target all of these human expectations or needs (or, to be more honnest, industry-created needs).

I own myself a home computer, a laptop, a Nokia N95, a N810 and an Apple iPod Touch. To some extend, all of these technologies are overlapping, however each one is serving a different purpose depending on where I am, what I want to do and how I want to do it. I don't expected the whole world population to adopt my consumeristic approach. It's just that I've studied computer science, I work in computer science, and I love computer science and that the devices I own today are fitting my today's usage pattern. Android might change it a bit later on, any new technology will anyway. There's is no final and definitive pattern.

As ARJWright pointed out, anyway all of this devices as just part of the "revolution". There are just the windows to look at a garden, and just as they is a multitude of different windows, there is also a multitude of different gardens.

If you missed this article, please look for Wired's July release and do read the article about Android (if you don't have it, have a look on mygazines.com). You can make the most beautiful and perfect device, if the data carriers are not changing their behaviour and don't accept a business model change that they may perceive as hurting their benefits, if developpers don't adopt your platform, if..., if..., if..., then this is all just another rock thrown in the water.

Back to improving the N810, I really don't care it doesn't have a SIM slot. I do always have my N95 in my pocket, so if my N810 needs internet access and finds no Wifi it'll use my phone. My iPod Touch can do the same, as my N95 can also be turned into a Wifi hotspot (but I prefer a Bluetooth radio in my pocket, near my <censored> rather then a Wifi radio - I still may want to have a 3rd child). That's what I like : combinaison of technologies, the one being able to use the other when I need a new approach = the LEGO approach. What matters most, is that users of the NIT who are finding ways or ideas to improve it (of course matched to their own personnal expectations) can somehow influence the future development of it (thru forums, congress, sites like this one,...). I expect the same from iPod Touch users, and the same from N95 users.

Any time that is lost is discussions about what platform or device is best and why others who don't understand it are stupid is so much a waste of time and a neglection of the world's human variety. I don't want a uniform world.

anidel 2008-08-29 07:24

Speaking about the tablet as a phone, would it suffice to make it behave as a bluetooth headset of your bluetooth enabled phone ?
Now that we have Bluetooth 2.0 and A2DP (or ADP?) the bandwidth should suffice for both connections, shouldn't it ?

And as we are at it, why not sync the contacts with the Contacts app in the tablet.
And also improve the "Internet Call" module with a "Phone Call" option where I can either type the number to call or choose the contact to call and let the phone handle it while using the tablet as bluetooth headset (thus using its speakers or its headphones).

I think that would be more than enough to make everyone happy. Me at least.
The phone is another device, the phone is hidden in my jacket and has its own battery. I can bring only my phone with me and leave the tablet at home.
While browsing the web on my tablet (via the phone connection or WiFi) and recevie a call, I will be prompted to answer it ON THE TABLET.
Same for SMSes.

This already happens on the Mac if you have a good bluetooth phone, like my very old Ericsson t39m (the first bluetooth phone!).
Pairing it with the Mac and using the Addressbook application I was able to make/receive calls from the Mac, reading and sending SMSes THRU the Mac.

Why it can't be done on the tablet then ?
Also consider that MANY GPS Navigation devices already do it, like the linux based TomTom One.

So... what do you think ?

benny1967 2008-08-29 08:05

I love these threads. It's always a bit like over-ambitious mothers telling their little daughters "Why don't you put more efforts into algebra? Why don't you invite Emma someday, her daddy's rich! Why don't you wear this skirt, it makes you look so cute!" - They say all this because they love their daughters and want them to be the best and most successful kid in town.

I don't actually love Nokia. I admit there are some cool people there I'd really like to meet in person some day (and maybe then...), but thats not enough to make me love the class enemy :D and wish for its success. So I have no urge to tell them what to do and how to become prettier than the brat from the apple farm on the other side of the town.

What I do love, though, is what Nokia achieved for me. They offered me cool products I wouldn't have had otherwise (yes, I guess I love my tablets in a way :) ...). Even more important, they developed really good technologies that now even come to the desktop as well (the IM client I use on my desktop is built on top of the telepathy framework). And the best thing of all: They showcased that devices with free software can be consumer-ready and attract more than just 3 geeks. This was probably the most important achievement of all: GNU/Linux on embedded devices is here to stay, the idea of openness spreads across platforms and even reaches Symbian.

So, as for the further development of the tablet platform as such: Maybe we'll see a great new device, maybe just a disappointing Apple-Clone. But it doesn't matter. If Nokia doesn't come up with an N900 that does what I expect, there'll be alternatives. Maybe not at the same time, maybe I'll have to wait until 2009, but there will be devices that are small, connected and open. And I firmly believe that this is mainly because of Nokia showing the rest of the industry that it can be done and how it's done.

mieses 2008-08-29 08:14

i completely agree with the main points of the article.

but to be honest, i don't really care if nokia wakes up in time.

qole 2008-08-29 08:42

The N800 was exactly the right device for me; the device I had been waiting decades for.

I have many desires for a new device to replace my tablet, but the problem is simple, and it isn't Nokia's problem -- the Internet isn't ubiquitous yet. When we can get wifi-speed Internet anywhere I can use a mobile phone, and I can get it for a flat monthly rate that compares to cable/DSL prices, then the stage will be set for The Revolution. And it won't be phones leading the revolution, it will be devices like the tablets that can use all the Internet protocols (and open source software) to do the stuff that mobile phones do right now, as well as do all the stuff a laptop can do... and fit in your pocket when you're done...

So, maybe in 3-5 years, someone will make my next Dream Device. I'll have to upgrade before then, of course, because my tablet is so battered and worn that it probably won't hold out much longer, but I just don't see the infrastructure build-out happening fast enough to support anything that I would consider to be Revolutionary.

gammer 2008-08-29 10:20

The N800 has strongly influenced my idea from the ultimate computational equipment that I would ALWAYS carry with me: an always/instant on, scratch resistant smartphone with 5" touch screen (and almost nothing around it), keyboard, camera, GPS and open source software. For me it is definitely not acceptable to have 2 or more devices in my pockets. I think many people are now used to carry their phone 16h/7d but would never give that privilege to one more device. Currently I have to care for my N800 as if it were a baby - where is it now, is it protected, do not forget it (:-)) etc.. That's too much stress!

Zuber 2008-08-29 14:03

If Nokia expected the Community to do it's work for it then I think they lost the plot. The community should be adding to the efforts of Nokia not instead of.

Failing that, a great deal more effort in providing everything required to encourage development by others.

I bought the N810 thinking it is an N series and so aimed at the consumer as well. As a perfect compliment to my N82. It has the potential to be that. The best people placed to deliver that is Nokia since they have the now how for both.

If it was not intended for the day to day user, it should not have been marketed as an N series device.

As it is, I find it ok. But it had (or has) the potential for so much more.

I think this sums it up nicely

http://tabletblog.com/2008/08/nokia-...c-nseries.html

At the end of the day, if this does not deliver, something else will come along. Just a shame to see some perfectly good hardware not used to it's potential.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 218818)
Don't assume that the past dictates the present or future... or that absence of evidence means evidence of absence.

Is that an indication that you see good things ahead (I hope so) or just like one of those disclaimers you get when you think of investing in some shares :)

Zuber

ARJWright 2008-08-29 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 218919)
If Nokia expected the Community to do it's work for it then I think they lost the plot. The community should be adding to the efforts of Nokia not instead of.

Failing that, a great deal more effort in providing everything required to encourage development by others.

I bought the N810 thinking it is an N series and so aimed at the consumer as well. As a perfect compliment to my N82. It has the potential to be that. The best people placed to deliver that is Nokia since they have the now how for both.

If it was not intended for the day to day user, it should not have been marketed as an N series device.

As it is, I find it ok. But it had (or has) the potential for so much more.

At the end of the day, if this does not deliver, something else will come along. Just a shame to see some perfectly good hardware not used to it's potential.

Is that an indication that you see good things ahead (I hope so) or juat like one of those disclaimers you get when you think of investing in some shares :)

Please don't take this as me hapring on you, I mean no ill will at all.

N-series devices are aimed at power users, not consumers, who are risk takers and primarly technology influencers. The numbered Nokia handsets and E-series devices are aimed at those with a more "it better just work when it comes out of the box" mindset.

The attribution of the N-series moniker to the ITs is therefore done in this wise. Yes, there is a huge failure of marketing and clear product orientation at play here, but as it has been said before - there is never been a device like the IT in terms of technology, scope, and culture. To call it an N-series was nearly as smart as calling the N93 one.

It has a ton of potential, just like anything else that gets into any human's hands. The question is what will you do with the potential (within your ability to do so), and what will happen as a result of looking at life through those lenses? To date, we've not see what the IT platform (not device, the platform - which includes the community, developers, UI folks, Maemo, Nokia, and marketing channels) is capable of. Its too new to know at this point.

@Zuber: your post I am quoting here actually addresses a bigger issue that Nokia will have as its moving towards a facilitator of innovation versus the harbringer of it - perceived branding/reputation versus enacted branding/perception. For those that know Nokia, they will expect the brand that was effective and met their need with an innovative solution that just worked. Nokia is pushing something different; and its not wrong, just different. Its very hard for this group of users to adjust to that change. But since we are those technology influcencers, this is what we do to drive innovation to the world around us.

I agree with you in this:
Quote:

Just a shame to see some perfectly good hardware not used to it's potential.
It is; guess that I better get off my keyboard and start turning potential into realization ;)

tso 2008-08-29 14:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by anidel (Post 218843)
Speaking about the tablet as a phone, would it suffice to make it behave as a bluetooth headset of your bluetooth enabled phone ?
Now that we have Bluetooth 2.0 and A2DP (or ADP?) the bandwidth should suffice for both connections, shouldn't it ?

And as we are at it, why not sync the contacts with the Contacts app in the tablet.
And also improve the "Internet Call" module with a "Phone Call" option where I can either type the number to call or choose the contact to call and let the phone handle it while using the tablet as bluetooth headset (thus using its speakers or its headphones).

I think that would be more than enough to make everyone happy. Me at least.
The phone is another device, the phone is hidden in my jacket and has its own battery. I can bring only my phone with me and leave the tablet at home.
While browsing the web on my tablet (via the phone connection or WiFi) and recevie a call, I will be prompted to answer it ON THE TABLET.
Same for SMSes.

This already happens on the Mac if you have a good bluetooth phone, like my very old Ericsson t39m (the first bluetooth phone!).
Pairing it with the Mac and using the Addressbook application I was able to make/receive calls from the Mac, reading and sending SMSes THRU the Mac.

Why it can't be done on the tablet then ?
Also consider that MANY GPS Navigation devices already do it, like the linux based TomTom One.

So... what do you think ?

if your phone can export its whole addressbook as a vcard file then in theory it can already be done (i think i have a standing bug about importing vcard files with extended ascii characters or something like that, it makes the import error out).

what i would really love to see on the tablet tho is a syncml client/server. client so that it can sync with a online syncml server, and a server so that it can sync against any phone that supports syncml.

and make said syncml system extendable by third party so that one can use it to sync gpe and similar alongside the built in addressbook.

or maybe just bundle opensync? ;)

beyond that, placing calls and sending sms from the tablet can be done via third party app. specifically, phonelink. reciving sms on the other hand...

tso 2008-08-29 14:35

Quote:

sadly, that one is a bit to focused on the nokia n-series.

what i would love to see is generic enough stuff on the tablet side that anyone can implement something on the phone side to interface with it.

Zuber 2008-08-29 16:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by tso (Post 218930)
sadly, that one is a bit to focused on the nokia n-series.

what i would love to see is generic enough stuff on the tablet side that anyone can implement something on the phone side to interface with it.

It's only an example (if only it was real). But I don't see any reason why Nokia could not do something for a wide range of their phones. I think most these days are based on a couple of standard platforms they use. i.e. S60, S40. Not sure about the other lower end ones.

Don't think it is realistic to expect them to provide and interface for other phones. Just the APIs to enable others to develop something if they choose.

I rather liked the idea of a remote desktop app for the phone that you can hook upto. No need for 2 addressbooks, calanders etc. I believe someone has done some VNC software for the S60/S40 platforms, but since it only worked over WiFi I did not look into it any further. Bluetooth would have been great.

Zuber

Texrat 2008-08-29 16:09

Quote:

*sigh*

It's very discouraging when people completely miss what's actually intended and has been going on, and then exaggerate like that. Not helpful for constructive dialog at all.

allnameswereout 2008-08-29 16:10

A 1 GB limit on 3G is IMO a lot but it depends on what you'd use it for.

IMO the current wireless options in the NIT (WiFi & BT, eventually WiMAX) don't cut it for the mobility of the NIT I have in mind.

I wonder, those people who are against a 3G module on the NIT: do you already own a phone with 2/2.5/3G access which you're using? Besides the added price or that you wouldn't use it -- why are you against 3G on the NIT? One I can think of is the battery life, but an idle 3G chip uses about 40-70 mA.

For me, I hate mobile phones, and love SIP. I'd love to be able to use SIP for my phonecalls instead of a mobile phone. An on-board 3G chipset on the NIT would provide this, as well as (near) 24/7 e-mail via IMAP(S), and its useful for GPS as well (especially if you use Maemo Mapper but also for traffic information although a on-board radio would provide this too). It means I don't need to buy a phone with data plan just to use my NIT 24/7. It means I don't have to carry a phone around. It means I don't have to worry about the battery life of my phone.

PS: If one decides to clone Apple please don't clone their 3G functionality :D

tso 2008-08-29 16:16

the need to keep up with yet another bill, and that i carry my phone anyways...

right now my phone is a 2.5G (or more like 2.75 but anyways) but im planing of going 3G.

if i wanted a all in one device, i would probably go for some symbian phone.

Zuber 2008-08-29 16:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Texrat (Post 218965)
*sigh*

It's very discouraging when people completely miss what's actually intended and has been going on, and then exaggerate like that. Not helpful for constructive dialog at all.

Sorry, not intended to put anyone down. Comment does exaggerate at little.

Just feels like the wheels at Nokia turn a little too slowly with not enough resource (for the N8xx anyway). Perhaps great things are happening behind closed doors. But I am commenting on how I perceive it. I don't think I'm the only one.

There is the article on tablet blog I mentioned earlier (on what could be) and if you look at tabletguru, that too is "on hold".

Please do enlighten/correct as to what is really happening/coming soon.

Zuber

qole 2008-08-29 16:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 218966)
If one decides to clone Apple please don't clone their 3G functionality :D

Nor their bluetooth functionality. My friend and I were shaking our heads over his iPhone's "bluetooth"... It's there, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything... :confused:

Zuber 2008-08-29 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 218966)
I wonder, those people who are against a 3G module on the NIT: do you already own a phone with 2/2.5/3G access which you're using? Besides the added price or that you wouldn't use it -- why are you against 3G on the NIT?

I already have a 3G contract with my N82 and it work fine with the N810.

I don't think anyone would have a problem with there being a 3G chip onboard (other than effect on batterylife and cost) provided it does not become the "only option". By which I mean the other options start getting neglected/under developed.

In fact, it would probably mean the PIM side of things getting a real push, so possibly even a good thing from that perspective.

I wanted the N8xx primarily for big screen and qwerty. I also like the idea of it being independant of all the contract obligations etc. and leaving me free to pick whichever phone with features combination I wish.

If I could get a Tablet with all the features of an N82 built in, I might be tempted (with BT headset). Especially if could play back the video it had just recorded :)

But then others would want a different set of features/pricepoint from their phone/internet tablet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 218982)
Nor their bluetooth functionality. My friend and I were shaking our heads over his iPhone's "bluetooth"... It's there, but it doesn't actually seem to do anything... :confused:

Same here. Wife just got an iPhone (tried to talk her out of it). Nice interface, though lacking in features. Anyway, first thing I did was say I'll bluetooth over some contacts and pics. Still not managed it...

Zuber

geneven 2008-08-29 16:58

So, let's say that wifi or the equivalent DOES become available everywhere? Those of you who who don't want the tablet to have a phone will quickly delete Skype and breathe a sigh of relief, joyful that you got rid of the phone aspect of the tablet? Amazing.

bailliesmells 2008-08-29 17:15

i went to go do laundry yesterday. as usual i have one of my internet tablets with me. yesterday i had my 770 because i let my g/f use my 800. out of nowhere some guy comes up to me and ask me "whoa!, i thought i was the only loser with a 770" it was pretty funny.i mean everywhere i look people have iphones and ipods. im not going to lie i had an iphone.i won it from a bet off a buddy of mine. what ipods/iphones lack is the intimacy between the unit itself and the consumer.dont get me wrong i know there things the NIT lacks but oh well. i find it beautiful that there are communities like maemo in which we can share common joy in one thing. it is almost like a revolution...."no great movement designed to change the world can bear to be laughed at or belittled. mockery is a rust that corrodes all it touches."

ARJWright 2008-08-29 17:33

The addition of a cellular adds a significant layer to selling the IT in an open capacity because of patent and proprietary issues related to the cellular infrastructure that in place differently in many regions. The cost to making it this open is not yet worth it (see Xohm/Sprint/Clearwire issues for proof of this).

allnameswereout 2008-08-29 18:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by geneven (Post 218991)
So, let's say that wifi or the equivalent DOES become available everywhere? Those of you who who don't want the tablet to have a phone will quickly delete Skype and breathe a sigh of relief, joyful that you got rid of the phone aspect of the tablet? Amazing.

WiFi everywhere doesn't allow you to use WiFi 24/7 because all the networks are independent. Its essentialy a lot like CT2. You wouldn't be able to phone (or Internet) location independent, and you can't use it on the go.

Skype? Why Skype? Thats a closed protocol with some secret, encrypted P2P functionality. Ie. a proprietary vendor lock-in with security through obscurity capability. Better use SIP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARJWright (Post 219013)
The addition of a cellular adds a significant layer to selling the IT in an open capacity because of patent and proprietary issues related to the cellular infrastructure that in place differently in many regions. The cost to making it this open is not yet worth it (see Xohm/Sprint/Clearwire issues for proof of this).

Care to state some of the issues?

You don't have to buy a Nokia phone with data plan. You can, but you don't have to. The same would be true for a NIT.

The chip would run its own closed source firmware while the interface to the chipset/firmware is completely open. Just like a 3G USB stick. Just like openMoko. openMoko I won't buy because 1) stability wise its not for end-users yet... 2) it lacks 3G... 3) again, its another device, and mostly a phone...

Texrat 2008-08-29 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zuber (Post 218980)
Please do enlighten/correct as to what is really happening/coming soon.

I really, really wish I could offer details. That will have to come from other people at the proper times.

All I can say is what I've been saying for some time: the community input IS being processed. Progress IS being made. But again, the tablet platform started off VERY experimental. The N800's success actually took some inside Nokia by surprise (I was not one of them). The infrastructure wasn't quite ready for the sales numbers. And at some point in almost any new product's lifecycle, there's that question: is it successful enough to continue, or do we let it die (ie, N-Gage device) and take the hit? The platform was actually on a bubble for a while-- too successful to kill, not successful enough to build a business around.

And it's actually the slightly-open, community-embracing aspect that caused the latter. Had the tablets been closed, we would not be having this discussion. 100% control (a la Apple) means more dedication in every way. The dilemma of the Nokia tablets is that their strength is also their weakness. And it's not as if Nokia was abrogating responsibility-- the goal all along was to develop a device type that the company could make a profit from and at the same time open as much of it as possible/practical to the general public.

I cannot overstate what a difficult balancing act that is. We are damned if we do, damned if we don't. You complain that the company expects too much from the community. Developers complain we didn't go far enough. If you have a formula for pleasing every single person across a gamut of expectations and abilities, I'm open to it and will gladly share within Nokia's walls.

But our folks are gradually turning this science experiment into a practical platform that is as open as they can manage. People who have stuck with the tablets have seen the slow, steady progress. And while I can't share details, I can say the support situation is improving. I wish I could share more than an occasional "hee hee hee", because I've seen some amazing presentations of what's currently in the works and I can't wait until you all see it too. Some still-open questions are gonna turn into big a-HA!" moments. ;)

sjgadsby 2008-08-29 18:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 219026)
Care to state some of the issues?

Ari Jaaksi's old blog post on the topic provides a good summary, as it has every time this question has arisen in the fora.