maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   [ANNOUNCE]bleeding-edge WIFI drivers in extras-devel (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83718)

freemangordon 2012-04-17 20:23

[ANNOUNCE]bleeding-edge WIFI drivers in extras-devel

... and not only bleeding edge wifi drivers, but actually bluetooth drivers too, and several others, in a single package.

here

You will need kernel-power v50 installed.

Package is build using source from here

Many thanks to lxp for his job backporting those to n900.

@lxp - I would ask you if you want to become the package maintainer, after all it is you who did most of the work and I don't think it is fair myself to be entitled "the only maintainer" just because of some files in debian/ directory. Thanks again for the wonderful job you've done.

ammyt 2012-04-17 20:28

Re: [ANNOUNCE]bleeding-edge WIFI drivers in extras-devel

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1193488)
... and not only bleeding edge wifi drivers, but actually bluetooth drivers too, and several others, in a single package.

here

You will need kernel-power v50 installed.

Package is build using source from here

Many thanks to lxp for his job backporting those to n900.

@lxp - I would ask you if you want to become the package maintainer, after all it is you who did most of the work and I don't think it is fair myself to be entitled "the only maintainer" just because of some files in debian/ directory. Thanks again for the wonderful job you've done.

:eek: I severely need a reflash, the only thing that is holding me back from doing so is the re(download/installation) of the B.E. drivers afterwards, is there some kind of brain-to-brain problem transfer over a mental protocol here across TMO members? :):)

stlpaul 2012-04-17 22:30

Do the replacement modules in this package get loaded automatically by the system (preferred over the power50 versions), or should we still manually load/unload if we want to use them? Thanks.

misiak 2012-04-17 22:38

i know wifi driver bleeding edge changes, but when comparing this bluetooth driver with basic one, where can i find any changelog? (the one in package was not very helpful in that case ;) ) btw, i love kernel packages - nearly 100 mb of sources compiled in 300 kb package ;)

mr_pingu 2012-04-23 21:52

How to load these wifidrivers? I defenitily like the idea they are in the repos, but just like stlpaul asked, are they loaded by default(after reboot)?

If not, how to (un)load them. In lxps tar was shipped with an load.sh and an unload.sh script for loading and unloading them.

freemangordon 2012-04-23 22:00

Oops, sorry, I forgot to answer that question.

So, the drivers are not automatically loaded, you should load them manually.

you could use load/unload scripts from lxp's tar, with modified .ko locations.

@misiak - NFC what is changed in BT driver, better look http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download for information

topet2k12001 2012-04-23 22:35

Wow, this is exciting. I will try it out and will provide feedback as necessary. :)

Brian_7 2012-04-23 22:38

I can not find it with fapman. What is the name of the package? i want to install it from the x-terminal

topet2k12001 2012-04-23 22:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_7 (Post 1196731)
I can not find it with fapman. What is the name of the package? i want to install it from the x-terminal

Hi Friend,

Either:

1. Download it directly (the .deb file) from the link that was given from the first post, or...
2. In Faster Application Manager, click on "Install Apps"...then at the lower right you see "S" and then "C". Press "C" and then there will be a scroll-list. Scroll towards the bottom and select the "Advanced" category. You'll see it listed in there.

Hope this helps. :)

EDIT: Package name is: "linux-backports-modules-power 2.6.28.10-power50"

colin.stephane 2012-04-23 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1196707)
Oops, sorry, I forgot to answer that question.

So, the drivers are not automatically loaded, you should load them manually.

you could use load/unload scripts from lxp's tar, with modified .ko locations.

@misiak - NFC what is changed in BT driver, better look http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Download for information

Any troubles to copy these drivers over the ones in '/lib/modules/2.6.28.10-power50/' ?

I mean, does the device boot if I replace the originals ones from ck-v50 and reboot ?

A++

Brian_7 2012-04-23 22:50

Thank you. I forgot about that option :p

Samirox 2012-04-24 00:00

how to tell if the are loaded or not installed via fapman

topet2k12001 2012-04-24 00:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samirox (Post 1196752)
how to tell if the are loaded or not installed via fapman

To tell if an application is installed:

1. From Faster Application Manager's main menu, choose the option to "Remove" an application.
2. If the app is listed there, it means it was installed (since it is listed as one of the apps that can be removed).

Samirox 2012-04-24 00:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by topet2k12001 (Post 1196765)
To tell if an application is installed:

1. From Faster Application Manager's main menu, choose the option to "Remove" an application.
2. If the app is listed there, it means it was installed (since it is listed as one of the apps that can be removed).

i mean how do i know my N900 is using the bleeding edge drivers or not

freemangordon 2012-04-24 07:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin.stephane (Post 1196737)
Any troubles to copy these drivers over the ones in '/lib/modules/2.6.28.10-power50/' ?

I mean, does the device boot if I replace the originals ones from ck-v50 and reboot ?

A++

Never tried that, so NFC. What would we gain if we use bleeding-edge instead of stock?

mr_pingu 2012-04-24 07:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1196840)
Never tried that, so NFC. What would we gain if we use bleeding-edge instead of stock?

Reboot on ad-hoc and injection capabilities ;)

I hope I can post an updated load.sh + unload.sh script at the end of the day...

Estel 2012-04-24 12:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1196844)
Reboot on ad-hoc and injection capabilities ;)

+ lack of power-saving features, when connected to AP but not transferring data ;)

Saturn 2012-05-06 18:10

Hi freemangordon,

FYI, last version of cleven is depending to this package:
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=590

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to make it work for the past version of KP, but I tried to program it in somehow dynamic way that will be able to work with your future updates too.

In specific, I get the KP version number with "uname -r" and feed this to the call that loads the drivers.

For example, now the call would return: 2.6.28.10-power50
therefore the path for the drivers will be /opt/lib/modules/2.6.28.10-power50/

If anyone needs more information or see anything wrong in the above, let me know.
For the moment, it seems to work great.

Cheers

cocegas 2012-05-13 22:27

Is it only 300 kb indeed?

The w1251 drivers are over 400 mb. Must I have that package and the one from this thread?

sifo 2012-05-13 22:42

@cocegas
you dont need the source code just download the drivers to MyDocs then select the file from the applet

./sifo

artishox 2012-05-28 12:17

Thanks, for this app it's really useful. But lately I get following error:
Quote:

Error while loading kernel modules
ifconfig: SIOCGIFFLAGS: No such device
Error while starting wlan0 interface
Drivers were not loaded
any ideas?

artishox 2012-05-28 19:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by artishox (Post 1213774)
Thanks, for this app it's really useful. But lately I get following error:

any ideas?

I believe this started when I updated from pk49 to pk50

misiak 2012-05-28 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by artishox (Post 1213992)
I believe this started when I updated from pk49 to pk50

maybe try reinstalling drivers from extras-devel?

sifo 2012-05-28 20:17

@artishox

KP49 drivers wont work you must have the correct injection drivers for KP50 :) download it from here and extract it and then select the file from the applet this should work

./sifo

mr_pingu 2012-05-28 20:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1214028)
@artishox

KP49 drivers wont work you must have the correct injection drivers for KP50 :) download it from here and extract it and then select the file from the applet this should work

./sifo

Read the first post, they are included in this package, however one must edit the load.sh script to use the paths provided by this package:

Code:

#!/bin/sh
# Save mac address
MACADDR="`ifconfig wlan0 | sed -n 's/.*HWaddr \([0-9A-Fa-f:]\+\).*/\1/p'`"
# Unload wifi modules
rmmod wl1251_spi 2>/dev/null
rmmod wl1251 2>/dev/null
rmmod wl12xx 2>/dev/null
rmmod mac80211 2>/dev/null
rmmod cfg80211 2>/dev/null
rmmod rfkill_backport 2>/dev/null
rmmod compat_firmware_class 2>/dev/null
rmmod compat 2>/dev/null
# Load bleeding-edge wl1251
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/compat/compat.ko
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/net/rfkill/rfkill_backport.ko
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/net/wireless/cfg80211.ko
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/net/mac80211/mac80211.ko
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/drivers/net/wireless/wl1251/wl1251.ko
insmod /home/opt/lib/2.6.28.10-power50/updates/drivers/net/wireless/wl1251/wl1251_spi.ko
# Restore mac address
ifconfig wlan0 down hw ether "$MACADDR"
iw reg set EU
ifconfig wlan0 up

sifo 2012-05-28 20:52

ah sorry :D

Estel 2012-05-29 01:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by artishox (Post 1213774)
Thanks, for this app it's really useful

...and, honestly, it's not an "app", by any means. Really.

Mentalist Traceur 2012-07-09 14:01

If I were you I would've stated what the module path is in the package description for the convenience of those who need to know where they are - not that you can't figure it out otherwise, just be faster that way.

Oh, also, you're really awesome for finally doing this. The lack of a standardized place for these drivers, or any apt-based way to add these drivers to a device during install of something that depends on them, has been a very irritating situation. (I've been meaning to eventually do this myself, but I am a hopelessly broadly interested individual who has way too many things going on in my life at any time to actually get everything I want to get done done. This being one of those things, like almost everything else I want to do with the N900 / Maemo.) So thank you.

As for lxp, and whether or not he wants to be the maintainer - I would e-mail him, in my experience he responds to e-mails, but doesn't necessarily pay attention to what's going on here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1196951)
+ lack of power-saving features, when connected to AP but not transferring data ;)

I'm still unsure about this being a significant problem. Has anyone ever tested how much power is used with one driver vs. the other?

Estel 2012-07-09 17:29

Last time I checked, it was sucking power like ad-hoc, when connected to AP, but idle. = quite much. I must admit, that I haven't performed any recent tests.

Would do it right now, but I'm on ad-hoc-only network anyway ATM, so ambient conditions are not allowing me to.

/Estel