maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Alternatives (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   [Palm OS] ACCESS Releases Garnet VM Beta 3 (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=25207)

Snoshrk 2008-11-26 15:04

[Palm OS] ACCESS Releases Garnet VM Beta 3

Hi All,

I just noticed that Access released GVM Beta 3 !

Has anyone had a chance to try it out yet ( I'm at work - and can't download it) :(

ebrindle 2008-11-26 15:17

Re: Access Release GVM Beta 3

Downloading it now...

Says it is version 1.02b - about 1.3mb

BoxOfSnoo 2008-11-26 15:36

Quote:

What's new in Garnet VM Beta 3

Release Date: November 26th, 2008
Release Version: 1.02b

Fixed issues:

Various bug fixes in Garnet VM core components

Bug fixes in Garnet PIM applications

The following applications are now working:
Billard 5.0 (Megasoft2000)
Toxic Balls (Beiks LLC)
So, no virtual SD card, no apparent changes in the store file, no increased size limit in the store...

But wait! You can run TOXIC BALLS now!!!

I guess we hold our breath for another 6 months or so.

ebrindle 2008-11-26 15:52

Other than wiping my vm back to 0 - I agree it seems
like it doesnt add much...

Setups/Prefs were retained in the maemo app (ie hotsync address).

Doesnt look like anything was added to the inner vm's preferenecs.

TA-t3 2008-11-26 16:03

I really wonder what the trick is with those emails.. I have, since the first beta, registered my email address, and even totally different addresses, and never ever got a reply w/download link, the way they explain it on the download page. I always have to resort to direct download through that guesswork semi-secret link.

Reggie 2008-11-26 18:56

ACCESS Releases Garnet VM Beta 3

Quote:

Â*Just got an email fromÂ*ACCESS:Dear GVM User,Today, we are pleased to announce availability of the new ACCESS GVM Beta 3 for Nokia Nseries. This new version includes several bug fixes in Garnet VM core components as well as in Garnet PIM applications. The Beta 3 also grows the already big list of compatible applications with two new supported games. Enjoy!Download the ACCESS GVM Beta 3 from our web site:Â*http://www.access-company.com/products/gvmThanks,ACCESSÂ*
Read the full article.

ebrindle 2008-11-26 19:23

Re: ACCESS Releases Garnet VM Beta 3

Yeah - just got my email a couple minutes ago too!

Already have it downloaded.
There is another thread on this...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25200

skatebiker 2008-11-26 19:27

I downloaded it too, here a direct link

http://misc.nicejewel.com/garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb

skatebiker 2008-11-26 19:28

here a direct link

http://misc.nicejewel.com/garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb

job4031 2008-11-26 19:32

I was hoping for virtual SD also, but anybody notice any improvements. I am hoping that the VM will be a little more stable and not randomly erase the VM store when it gets to big.
-JD

skatebiker 2008-11-26 19:58

MAKE A BACKUP !!!

I tried it and I lost all my installed apps (planetarium and Google Maps).
Luckily I had backupped the stuff, so I uninstalled and reinstalled beta 2 and restored the backup of the .gvm folder including the 16 meg gvm.store file and the installed apps worked OK.
So make a backup of the .gvm folder before installing it.

BoxOfSnoo 2008-11-26 19:58

Not offhand. I went to the todo app, hit "details" and saw it briefly complain that nothing was selected and poof. Crashed. Absolutely nothing installed, BTW.

lm2 2008-11-26 20:08

where is default location of .gvm folder?

nevermind, found it: /home/user/.gvm

fanoush 2008-11-26 20:43

There are now 3 levels of display compatibility. Legacy by Redshift runs in 'standard'. Otherwise same old random crashes and no sound after crash until reboot or dsp_dld restart bug.

skatebiker 2008-11-26 21:10

Has somebody already tested whether it supports Bluetooth GPS ?

Machster 2008-11-26 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo (Post 244779)
So, no virtual SD card, no apparent changes in the store file, no increased size limit in the store...

But wait! You can run TOXIC BALLS now!!!

I guess we hold our breath for another 6 months or so.

Lordy, I hope Access did not spend all their time fixing this thing to run TOXIC BALLS. What a serious waste.

Reggie 2008-11-26 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by ebrindle (Post 244862)
Yeah - just got my email a couple minutes ago too!

Already have it downloaded.
There is another thread on this...

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25200

Threads merged. Thanks!

JoeF 2008-11-26 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machster (Post 244901)
Lordy, I hope Access did not spend all their time fixing this thing to run TOXIC BALLS. What a serious waste.

They said access to the SD card was second most requested feature. I guess we know what No.1 was: TOXIC BALLS!!!

eliagp 2008-11-27 00:36

I managed to get all excited thinking it had SD card ¬¬ took me 10 seconds to figure its still not there.

Thesandlord 2008-11-27 01:15

So unless you want TOXIC BALLS!, this is useless? Is there a point in upgrading? Why do they think a game is more important that Bluetooth and SD...

eliagp 2008-11-27 01:38

I HAD to find out what toxic balls was. apparently, its a glorified pong clone. meh.

fattomm 2008-11-27 02:04

Got my email today.

Meh.

Even the last release of GVM was sad enough that I've kind of walked away (has to be actively running for alerts - no GVMd?).

Still searching for a replacement for DateBk6. Once I get that, I've got no use for the old T5 (wait, it does make a decent alarm clock ...)

- Tom

rcsteiner 2008-11-27 02:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by fattomm (Post 244951)
Still searching for a replacement for DateBk6. Once I get that, I've got no use for the old T5 (wait, it does make a decent alarm clock ...)

My registered copy of DateBk6 6.1a r7 seems to be stable in GVM beta2, and everything I've tried to use has worked so far. I used PalmName to set my name in GVM so the key would work (had to add several dummy spaces in front so things lined up properly). The third party icon editor I have works nicely, too.

Pushwall 2008-11-27 02:40

The major thing I found with this latest beta is the FAST exit out of the emulator. This makes a huge difference when you have a lot of programs loaded into the emulator and have it set up to use 64MB. In prior betas the more programs you had loaded, the slower the exit. I believe it was rewriting its storage file on exit, and now this doesn't seem to be the case.

Another thing that seems to be working is using the 10MB Merriam-Webster dictionary in conjunction with eReader. It used to cause the emulator to crash after a bunch of use and wipe all the programs. So far no problems...my fingers are crossed and I'm hoping I see no problems.

I still can't get the latest version of Bike-or-Die to work. Once the music starts playing in the game, it exits back out of the emulator to the main GVM screen. Oh well.

TA-t3 2008-11-27 13:54

I just wished I would get that email. What on earth is the reason I never get any? I've used different kind of email addresses too (gmail, company mail etc). No difference. Nothing heard.

Back to download through unofficial means.

fanoush 2008-11-27 14:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by TA-t3 (Post 245028)
I just wished I would get that email. ...
Back to download through unofficial means.

There is no download link in that email. It is just reminder that new version is available. You need to fill the same form again and wait for another mail with download link.

BoxOfSnoo 2008-11-27 15:13

I got an email with a download link... it was basically this:

http://www.access-company.com/cgi/gv...00&o=OS2008&e= (my email address)

Which probably resolves to the same thing as above.

fanoush 2008-11-27 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoxOfSnoo (Post 245050)
I got an email with a download link....

Yes, that is the second mail I got after filling the form with my name/email yet again.

The automatic mail "Announcing Garnet VM Beta 3 for Nokia Nseries" had just link to generic http://www.access-company.com/products/gvm/ page with no direct download.

magicus 2008-11-27 15:27

I upgraded to beta 3. When I start Garnet VM, I'm greeted by a:
"Can't connecto to GVM. (error 0x30040000)"

If I reformat the storage, the new beta works. But then my old data is lost (yep, I made a backup before upgrading, so no real problem).

Since I never got hotsyncing to work properly over wifi (instead, I've just made backups of my .gvm directory) this leaves me in a position where I can't upgrade and keep my data. That sucks. :-(

Anyone else who have experienced this? Did you find any way to solve this?

I tried to replace just the gvm.store file with my old version, and let the new version generate the rest of the .gvm directory, but that didn't work either.

TA-t3 2008-11-27 15:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by fanoush (Post 245037)
There is no download link in that email. It is just reminder that new version is available. You need to fill the same form again and wait for another mail with download link

That's the one I'm talking about - I've filled out the form numerous times (since the first beta). Never got that mail. It's a simple form really.. last name, first name, email address, repeat email address.

One of these days I'm going to set up a poll as to how many get a reply and how many don't.

Anyway, in the meantime I downloaded it directly.

Pushwall 2008-11-27 19:55

Okay I found that the latest beta does not like the 10MB Merriam-Webster College dictionary with eReader. If you want to wipe all the programs you've installed into Garnet VM install that dictionary and you'll see what I mean. :(

dwforslund 2008-11-28 04:59

Other than the faster termination I've not seen any benefits of the new emulator. I had Epocrates running fine on the last release, but when I install it on this release, I can't connect to the GVM and lose all my installed apps. In addition, it seems to crash about the same as the earlier release with some apps. It simply disappears when running some apps and loses all information that was recently entered. I may have to go back to the earlier release if I'm to get Epocrates to work. Basically, whenever I try to hotsync it appears to work but then all my apps are messed up. Hotsync was problematic before, but I did get Epocrates to install (requires hotsync). Any one have any better luck with this release?

rcsteiner 2008-11-28 05:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by skatebiker (Post 244877)
MAKE A BACKUP !!!

I tried it and I lost all my installed apps (planetarium and Google Maps).
Luckily I had backupped the stuff, so I uninstalled and reinstalled beta 2 and restored the backup of the .gvm folder including the 16 meg gvm.store file and the installed apps worked OK.
So make a backup of the .gvm folder before installing it.

Backup and restore isn't working for me. If I install Beta 3 and restore the .gvm directory, it doesn't work (error about cannot connect, then applications reset). If I install Beta 2 again and restore from the same .gvm backup, everything is retained and works. I've repeated this sequence three times with two different .gvm backups.

Since I have a few dozen programs installed and I've never gotten hotsynch to work here, this sucks...

gowen 2008-11-28 09:52

One benefit to me is that the Palm Audible player now works.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=25243

burmashave 2008-11-28 15:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by magicus (Post 245053)
I upgraded to beta 3. When I start Garnet VM, I'm greeted by a:
"Can't connecto to GVM. (error 0x30040000)"

If I reformat the storage, the new beta works. But then my old data is lost (yep, I made a backup before upgrading, so no real problem).

Since I never got hotsyncing to work properly over wifi (instead, I've just made backups of my .gvm directory) this leaves me in a position where I can't upgrade and keep my data. That sucks. :-(

Anyone else who have experienced this? Did you find any way to solve this?

I tried to replace just the gvm.store file with my old version, and let the new version generate the rest of the .gvm directory, but that didn't work either.

I had the same error and couldn't get around it except to start with a fresh slate and reinstall over 50Mb of apps and data. Somewhat like you, I had only gotten Hotsync to work well enough to install some files that couldn't be installed via the GVM launcher. (As far as I am aware, the launcher will only install .prc and .pdb files).

So, I spent hours getting Hotsync to work well enough to backup the data to my PC. Hotsync crashed, crashed and crashed. The prob turned out to be that Hotsync was choking on specific files (see another thread about this). I was able to find those files one by one and flip the backup bit on those files off until I got a smooth backup.

I created a new store, loaded all the apps on it and nearly had it done before the GVM trashed the store. I started over again and had more luck. My advice to anyone who's building a large store is that they should do checkpoint backups through the process in case the GVM sends the new installation into the black hole.

I hate to think how long this took me, but I think it'll be worth it. Exit times are much, much faster. That may not seem like much to those who have smaller stores; however, I know that some of my catastrophic failures have occurred when the GVM crashed while exiting. It only makes sense that if the GVM is writing a lot of data back during exit that a crash there might leave inconsistent data. We'll see how it goes. I think I'll see fewer crashes and less data loss.

burmashave 2008-11-28 17:26

In another post in a thread not far away, danahyatt was heard to say:
Quote:

Just got an notice to download new version from Access. Tried the install and libraries are missing so no update this time. I wrote to support and the webmaster wrote back and told me to update my maemo os. That has been flashed for months already. I will stay with the old beta of Garnet VM for now.
I ran into the same issue while I was trying to install GVM beta 3. It wasn't really missing libs; it was versions lower than required:

Code:

root@n810 .documents # apt-get check garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 garnet-vm: Depends: libfreetype6 (>= 2.3.5) but 2.2.1-1osso3 is installed
 Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.12.12-1osso10) but 2.12.12-1osso9 is installed
 Depends: libhildonfm2 (>= 1:2.0.5) but 1:1.9.49 is installed
 Depends: libosso1 (>= 2.16) but 2.13-1.1fix is installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.

I'm guessing this is a chinook/diablo issue because I could not find the above versions in the repositories.

So, I forced the dependencies:
Code:

dpkg -i --force-depends garnet-vm_1.0.2b_ITOS2008.deb
That seemed to work for me. Of course the normal warnings apply. Do not stand above this step..., point away from face..., no user serviceable parts inside, contents under pressure..., and so on.

Thesandlord 2008-11-29 02:57

On a lighter note, did anyone notice the image was OS2007 running on a N810? Why did they go through the trouble of photoshopping, maybe they don't have a N810!
I lol at that...

Yes yes, I know they have N810s

rcsteiner 2008-11-30 04:00

Why move this thread?

Why was this thread moved from the only forum where it's really topical (the PalmOS forum)?

talladur 2008-11-30 18:08

Hi there,

I just updated my Nokia N810 with Garnet Beta 3 and wiped
all my installed palm programs. I have a copy of the gvm,
but not of the old Garnet Beta 2 install file.
Could someone provide me with the old installer file, so that I can recover my data?

Thanks a lot,

Talladur

burmashave 2008-12-01 00:37

Talladur, I tried to PM you but couldn't, perhaps because you're a new member. PM me about the Garnet Beta 2 deb file.