maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [Proposal] Rearrange Maemo forums to allow other devices/OS to participate (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84020)

ivgalvez 2012-05-02 11:56

[Proposal] Rearrange Maemo forums to allow other devices/OS to participate

A rearrangement of the forums would be useful to let more people participate here. There are some projects directly related to Nokia devices and Maemo/Meego that would benefit from that, but it would also allow more projects to participate in this same community

My proposal would be:

1. In section OS / Platform add "Mer / Nemo / Plasma Active / Sailfish" section, and move relevant threads to there. Try to coordinate with people at these projects and encourage them to participate here.
2. Archive section OS2006 / Maemo 2 / Mistral - Scirocco - Gregale
3. Add a section for Nitdroid. Coordinate with Nitdroid guys to move all the stuff from Nitdroid forums here, if they agree.
4. In section Devices merge subsections for Nokia N810/N800/N700. We will create new sections for upcoming devices.
5. The old section might be less visible to avoid clutter in the main page.
6. Study the possibility to add a tag system in the Software section so you could have a thread about an application applying to one or more devices / OSes. That might help to filter threads for an specific platform.

Edit: I have added a poll regarding the subforums organisation (proposal number 6) as it seems to be the most controversial.

Edit: Added Sailfish to Mer platform. Removed Vivaldi from devices until we have real hardware.

GrimyHR 2012-05-02 12:38

Re: [Proposal] Rearrange Maemo forums to allow other devices/OS to participate

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1200724)
A rearrangement of the forums would be useful to let more people participate here. There are some projects directly related to Nokia devices and Maemo/Meego that would benefit from that, but it would also allow more projects to participate in this same community

My first proposal would be:
- In section OS / Platform add Mer / Nemo / Plasma Active section, and move relevant threads to there. Try to coordinate with people at these projects and encourage them to participate here.
- Archive section OS2006 / Maemo 2 / Mistral - Scirocco - Gregale
- Add a section for Nitdroid. Coordinate with Nitdroid guys to move all the stuff from Nitdroid forums here, if they agree.
- In section Devices merge subsections for Nokia N810/N800/N700 and create a new section for Vivaldi.
- The old section might be less visible to avoid clutter in the main page.
- Study the possibility to add a tag system in the Software section so you could have a thread about an application applying to one or more devices / OSes. That might help to filter threads for an specific platform.

i would like this, but only if maemo threads wouldnt be mixed with other, so no meego/tizen/mer or whatever applications, games or similar mixed in with maemo ones unless they work on maemo also
everything should have a separate subsection

immi.shk 2012-05-02 14:39

i entered this page with bad thoughts.. but your suggestions are Good.. :)

although do Consider Talk.Maemo.Org is one of the Finest, neatest and Best forum.. ^_^

ivgalvez 2012-05-02 14:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1200742)
i would like this, but only if maemo threads wouldnt be mixed with other, so no meego/tizen/mer or whatever applications, games or similar mixed in with maemo ones unless they work on maemo also
everything should have a separate subsection

That is actually happen in the Software subforum and something to fix. Some threads are not clear to which device are related.

MartinK 2012-05-02 15:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1200783)
That is actually happen in the Software subforum and something to fix. Some threads are not clear to which device are related.

What about some parent-poster specified platform tags ? Might be used for filtering, show up under the headline (if enabled)...

Arie 2012-05-02 15:31

I agree with forum rearrangement, we also need to add in that Harmattan needs it's own development and applications forums too. Not just a Meego/Harmattan section and a N9/950 section.

Estel 2012-05-02 15:37

+1 to whole idea, as long as it will also allow configuring "active topics" per user profile, so some sections could be hidden.

/Estel

imo 2012-05-02 16:15

Between we already been noticing that meego/harmattan N9 threads are all over the front page ,though meego/harmattan for N900 is kind of forgotten or left aside totally .Just indicating.Besides i hope maemo does not fade between all other OS/platforms .

immi.shk 2012-05-02 17:27

shouldn't their be a section for Hardware Mods

just like Estel's(well most of them actually ;))
HDMI-Out for N900
Camera cover MOD
Mount for telescopic trivet MOD
mugen-cover-power MOD
& Latest :)
[Pre-Pre-Pre Announce]Black Aluminum replacement body & backcover for N900

&
dr_frost_dk's
Homemade 3000mAh XL Battery

& Lots more under
USB hostmode(HEN)

and some mods(i wish in near future) like
N900 Dual Sim Mod
N900 Dual(Analog) Sim Mod
Chinese Zoom lens on N900 Mod
Solar Charger Mod ;p
IR port Data Transfer MOD
FM transmitter walkie-talkie(Press to talk) Mod
USB Analog/Digital Tv tuner Dongle on N900 MOD(i wish i wish i wish :))
Open Data Card USB Dongle to work on N900 MOD(another wish)

just felt they need a Separate category

Quote:

Since if Software are intellectual power of N900, Hardware Mods are its Physical power

sifo 2012-05-02 17:41

maybe this is out of the thread but i hope that will be a fast conversation like chat if possible faster than PM this will keep us here more and so its not necessary to move to a social
network. sounds crazy ?

Dousan 2012-05-02 17:54

One cold take a look at xda.developers.forum that is a forum looking similar to what OP is suggesting.

You have you OS's with device subforums that got devided into 3-4 subforums and a general subforum for each OS also devided into 3-4 subforums.
It's pretty easy to navigate around that forum and find things for your device specific or something in general for your OS.
I really like XDA and the way it's build. It's a bit big and got 4 mil.+ users, but still git the 'home' feeling in your device section.

Regards Dousan...

Estel 2012-05-02 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by sifo (Post 1200882)
maybe this is out of the thread but i hope that will be a fast conversation like chat if possible faster than PM this will keep us here more and so its not necessary to move to a social
network. sounds crazy ?

Not crazy, just unnecessary - we have IRC for that.

/Estel

GrimyHR 2012-05-02 21:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dousan (Post 1200890)
One cold take a look at xda.developers.forum that is a forum looking similar to what OP is suggesting.

You have you OS's with device subforums that got devided into 3-4 subforums and a general subforum for each OS also devided into 3-4 subforums.
It's pretty easy to navigate around that forum and find things for your device specific or something in general for your OS.
I really like XDA and the way it's build. It's a bit big and got 4 mil.+ users, but still git the 'home' feeling in your device section.

Regards Dousan...

i hate xda as every cheaper android phone doesnt get a subforum so custom roms and such for those devices are in general development and are hard to find and navigate

MINKIN2 2012-05-02 21:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dousan (Post 1200890)

Regards Dousan...

I like the idea of looking at other forum layouts for influence. We could also/maybe have a ribbon across the top of the page like Mobile Nations for each OS or sub forum?

It would also be nice to see a page dedicated to the Raspberry Pi, as there are quite a few users on the boards who are eager to buy one.

Estel 2012-05-02 23:05

On the other hand, I can imagine how happy Reggie is about ideas of big changes including moderate/high amount of work from his side ;) Well, maybe at least having Nokia paying forum bills and "blessing" for ideas through qgil could help @ persuading changes...

Dousan 2012-05-03 05:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1201004)
i hate xda as every cheaper android phone doesnt get a subforum so custom roms and such for those devices are in general development and are hard to find and navigate

I see your point.
This should only be seen as a reference to how it's build and the changed maemo.org wouldn't run into this problem as i see it, there won't be more than a couple of handfull of devices associated with maemo.org or wich ever name it would take. So I don't see people would be getting lost in the general subforum, hence if it's a device you'll find on maemo.org it'll have it's own subforum and I don't think Tizen, meltemi, meego or any other OS of that type growing big as android with that much fragmentation.
So i think it would be safe to build a new maemo forum on the principles of how xda i structered.

Regards Dousan...

ivgalvez 2012-05-03 13:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinK (Post 1200794)
What about some parent-poster specified platform tags ? Might be used for filtering, show up under the headline (if enabled)...

Indeed, this is the most needed change, to be able to specify to which platform(s) apply each thread on general sections.

Something similar to tagging would be useful because it could also be applied to already existing threads, either by their OP or moderators.

ivgalvez 2012-05-03 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arie (Post 1200797)
I agree with forum rearrangement, we also need to add in that Harmattan needs it's own development and applications forums too. Not just a Meego/Harmattan section and a N9/950 section.

If we had something like tags to classify the threads to their corresponding platforms, that shouldn't be necessary.

Right now, the Applications, Games, etc.. subforums don't belong exclusively to the N900. As you can see, some OP are now including in the title to which machine applies.

ivgalvez 2012-05-03 13:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by immi.shk (Post 1200872)
shouldn't their be a section for Hardware Mods

just like Estel's(well most of them actually ;))
HDMI-Out for N900
Camera cover MOD
Mount for telescopic trivet MOD
mugen-cover-power MOD
& Latest :)
[Pre-Pre-Pre Announce]Black Aluminum replacement body & backcover for N900

&
dr_frost_dk's
Homemade 3000mAh XL Battery

& Lots more under
USB hostmode(HEN)

and some mods(i wish in near future) like
N900 Dual Sim Mod
N900 Dual(Analog) Sim Mod
Chinese Zoom lens on N900 Mod
Solar Charger Mod ;p
IR port Data Transfer MOD
FM transmitter walkie-talkie(Press to talk) Mod
USB Analog/Digital Tv tuner Dongle on N900 MOD(i wish i wish i wish :))
Open Data Card USB Dongle to work on N900 MOD(another wish)

just felt they need a Separate category

Hardware mods apply (usually) to a single device, so they can be put under the Hardware/Device corresponding section.

Reggie 2012-05-03 15:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estel (Post 1201052)
On the other hand, I can imagine how happy Reggie is about ideas of big changes including moderate/high amount of work from his side ;) Well, maybe at least having Nokia paying forum bills and "blessing" for ideas through qgil could help @ persuading changes...

FYI, I'm open to changes. One thing I learned here is to not make immediate changes without talking about it, or running them through the community -- that's why I'm happy to see this thread.

In any case, I don't do all the moderating since there are other moderators. Before, council members help moderate. Maybe we can add "moderating" the forum as part of the the newly elected council members' tasks. ;)

ivgalvez 2012-05-03 15:56

Reggie, what are your thoughts about the possibility to classify or tag the threads in sections that can belong to different devices? Do you thing that could be done in an easy way?

Reggie 2012-05-03 16:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201386)
Reggie, what are your thoughts about the possibility to classify or tag the threads in sections that can belong to different devices? Do you thing that could be done in an easy way?

Another option are 'Thread Prefixes.' There is a feature to use/force a 'Thread Prefix' on the thread title. Basically, you have to specify a prefix (via a pre-defined drop-down list) when creating a new thread. If we decide to use this feature, I have to make some changes to certain forum modules (e.g. Active Topics) that doesn't support Thread Prefixes.

Thread prefixes can be set to be required or optional.

GrimyHR 2012-05-03 16:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201285)
If we had something like tags to classify the threads to their corresponding platforms, that shouldn't be necessary.

Right now, the Applications, Games, etc.. subforums don't belong exclusively to the N900. As you can see, some OP are now including in the title to which machine applies.

no, but they belong to maemo exclusively as maemo.org host only maemo application and that subforum is dedicated mainly for those applications, it isnt stated but is implied.

immi.shk 2012-05-03 16:55

also i would like to suggest "auto-merge" of Duplicate threads..

since the duplication is never on-purpose, mostly due to bad connectivity

its merging and not deleting because i feel each user comment is special..
so 5 comment's in this tread,& 2 comment's on duplicate one.. needs to get merged (according to post timestamps) rather then deleting

auto-merging formula can be something like
Quote:

same username + same title of thread + time(within 1 hr) == auto-merge

P.s. i don't know if this feature already exists in Talk.Maemo.Org . or its done manually..
since i have stuck some times due to duplicate submissions & ended-up writing "please delete this thread" and also "please goto to this thread" :(

Texrat 2012-05-03 16:59

I also still want to see Community as the first section, and the sticky thread New members say hello moved into it from the ambiguous General.

I just strongly believe that Community comes before anything General, and member fellowship belongs as a part of it.

ivgalvez 2012-05-03 17:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reggie (Post 1201409)
Another option are 'Thread Prefixes.' There is a feature to use/force a 'Thread Prefix' on the thread title. Basically, you have to specify a prefix (via a pre-defined drop-down list) when creating a new thread. If we decide to use this feature, I have to make some changes to certain forum modules (e.g. Active Topics) that doesn't support Thread Prefixes.

Thread prefixes can be set to be required or optional.

That seems to be a great solution for the Software subforum in sections Applications, Games, Multimedia, Themes and Design.

We would need the Council to approve it, though.

timoph 2012-05-03 17:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201444)

why? I would think getting consensus about it and reggie to agree with it is enough.

edit: well they would need to agree to moderate the new things :)

GrimyHR 2012-05-03 17:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201444)
That seems to be a great solution for the Software subforum in sections Applications, Games, Multimedia, Themes and Design.

this would be ok only if we could filter out everything with certain prefixes(for instance i would filter out everything meego/harmattan/n9/50/tizen as i "cant" find what im looking for here anymore and that is maemo related stuf)
i still think this structure would be much better:
Software
I-Maemo
I I-Applications
I I-Games
I I-...
I-Mer
I I-...
I-...

and so on for every aspect of the forum, a nice logical tree structure

qwazix 2012-05-04 07:49

I think that devices and os'es should be merged as only the N800 and N810 share the same OS. All other devices have their own os. I always find myself wondering where to start a new thread about e.g. a software issue on the N900. We could have OS2007/770, OS2008/N8x0, Maemo5/N900, Harmattan/N9-50, Mer/other, other/other

timoph 2012-05-04 08:11

I don't think for example Mer needs that many subforums. I would make alternatives it's own section that includes it as a subsection something like

Alternatives
-> Mer / Nemo
-> nitdroid
-> ...
-> other

ivgalvez 2012-05-04 08:43

I don't think that specific applications, games, etc subforums are needed for each device/OS. Some systems simply don't have so much activity and, on the other side, there are applications that are multiplatform and it could be better for the maintainers to use only one thread.

GrimyHR 2012-05-04 11:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201716)
I don't think that specific applications, games, etc subforums are needed for each device/OS. Some systems simply don't have so much activity and, on the other side, there are applications that are multiplatform and it could be better for the maintainers to use only one thread.

so meego threads should overflov maemo.org so that maemo users have a harder time finding everything instead of keeping things neat and clean?

ivgalvez 2012-05-04 12:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by GrimyHR (Post 1201758)
so meego threads should overflov maemo.org so that maemo users have a harder time finding everything instead of keeping things neat and clean?

The proposal to avoid that is to use a tagging/prefix system, that way it would be easier to find what you are interested in.

timoph 2012-05-04 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201810)
The proposal to avoid that is to use a tagging/prefix system, that way it would be easier to find what you are interested in.

To be honest I don't know if that would make things better or worse. imo it's simpler to have clear forum structure without the need to add additional information to the posts. Not everyone would do it anyway. Currently we have a bit of an overlap in some sections that can be fixed by combining existing things like stated earlier by someone while adding a few new ones.

The active topics already contain mostly uninteresting things to me. I tend to just browse through some selected sections and leave the rest alone. So while the ability to select the things shown in the active topics would be a nice to have feature to have I don't see it as the most important thing in this thing.

GrimyHR 2012-05-04 14:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201810)

easier maybe, but im not looking for easier but easiest and most logical, i want to avoid certain things COMPLETELY and i dont want to browse trough stuff that dont interest me a bit just because it is all mixed up in one big pile

qwazix 2012-05-04 15:15

Please take into consideration that too many nesting levels make the use of the website impractical. We should keep it as clean as possible while adding a few new categories and merging some others. A way to make everyone happy is to allow for a customizable home page, or allowing a searchresult to be used as homepage. (e.g. latest topics which fulfill certain criteria)

ivgalvez 2012-05-04 17:02

I have added a poll about this precise question that seems the most problematic. Any more suggestions?

timoph 2012-05-04 19:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1201929)
I have added a poll about this precise question that seems the most problematic. Any more suggestions?

I more in favour of the nesting of those options but wouldn't add games, applications, etc. subsections for each os/device. That would just add more overlap. Many of the applications are available for multiple targets so I'd leave those sections as they are. In stead I'd just merge os + maching device(s) like someone proposed earlier (for example N900/Maemo5, N8x0/Maemo4, etc.).

ivgalvez 2012-06-08 10:53

We haven't received many votes to this proposal, so I'm not completely confident about moving it to Council.

Please vote!

lma 2012-06-08 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 1200724)
4. In section Devices merge subsections for Nokia N810/N800/N700 and create a new section for Vivaldi.

Perhaps the OMAP2-generation devices can be merged, but the 770 should be kept separate.