maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   jDownloader - The N900 step-by-step instruction guide (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69374)

Rav 2011-02-04 21:22

jDownloader - The N900 step-by-step instruction guide

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

I hope someone finds this useful, a big thanks to Megaltariak for his posts on another thread that allowed me to successfully get jDownloader working. I will copy some of his steps and add my own to form a concise set of instructions.

This is fantastic for anyone who uses hosting sites like Rapidshare, Megaupload, Netload etc, I can confirm that Link Grabber works perfectly with MicroB, simply fire up jDownloader, leave it running and copy the relevant links from MicroB and jDownloader will pick these up. I have managed to download 1GB content with consistent speeds of over 1MB/sec (screen-shot below), exactly the same as my laptop! Also I can confirm you can comfortably carry on with other tasks whilst downloading (screen-shot below). There are a few caveats:

1) There is a UI issue with jDownloader that prevents certain options being accessible from the settings tab, I've checked on the desktop, same issue occurs here if you reduce the window size, hence this is not a N900 specific issue or problem. I will probably raise a bug with the jDownloader team.

2) At present I've not found a way to right click under the Java SDK environment, I've not found it debilitating at present as for the basic functions there are the relevant menu options present.

Instructions

1) Download the Java Runtime for Linux(ARM) from:

https://cds.sun.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP...-CDS_Developer

Select Linux(ARM) for platform and agree licence terms, then proceed to download the following tar.gz file:

"Java SE for Embedded 6 Update 21 (Build 9) ARMv7 Linux - Headful, EABI, Hard Float (VFP), Little-Endian"

2) Login to terminal as Root (Need to have rootsh installed) -
Code:

sudo gainroot
3) Install wget if you don't already have it, we will need this later on -
Code:

apt-get install wget
4) Move the tar.gz file to /opt/ -
Code:

mv <filename>.tar.gz /opt/<filename>.tar.gz
5) Extract the tar.gz to current directory -
Code:

tar -zxvf <filename>.tar.gz
6) Create symlinks so that you can use Java from anywhere -
Code:

ln -s /opt/ejre1.6.0_21/bin/* /usr/bin/
7) Exit the terminal

8) Re-start the terminal, not as root, and type the following to check for successful Java install -
Code:

java -version
Hopefully you should see version information, meaning you have successfully installed the runtime.

9) Now time to fetch jDownloader, go the website:

http://jdownloader.org/download/index

Select Linux for o/s and download the jd.sh script

10) Move the script to /opt/ to avoid issues with chmod and VFAT filesystem -
Code:

mv jd.sh /opt/jd.sh
11) Give correct execute permissions to script -
Code:

chmod +x jd.sh
12) Run the script, not as root, as root will fill up rootfs -
Code:

sh jd.sh
At this point it will commence the install, this can take some time and will open a Java GUI window for downloading files, let it finish, once complete jDownloader should start.

IMPORTANT STEPS FOR USABILITY

13) Once settled down jDownloader is quite responsive, now click into Settings -> Extensions, from here un-check everything except JD Webinterface (this will give you the option of using the web browser based jDownloader client using MicroB)

14) Under the Extensions section you should now see JD Webinterface menu item, click on this and set the options according to your preference, I didn't bother with authentication so unchecked "Need User Authentication", I left the port as default (8765)

15) Now for the tricky part, as you may have noticed the Maemo notification tab hides the top menu items, to fix this go to Settings -> User Interface, now you will notice what I was referring to earlier as a jDownloader GUI bug, you will see that there is no scroll bar on the right window meaning you can't scroll down to all the options, but what you should just be able to half see is the first option under the Performance section, very carefully un-check this box, it is very much do-able and you should be able to tell that it is unchecked.

16) Set the Max. Con. and Max Dls. both to 1 (bottom right hand corner), I think this is quite important as the default setting of 2 will cause disk i/o contention issues and will crash the N900 and fail to start downloads, I don't think this would be a problem if you were downloading to a memory card, so for internal memory ensure to do this. For me it had no bearing on download speed and like I mentioned I achieved the same speeds as my laptop.

17) Now click on the x to close jDownloader, it should close and take you back to the terminal.

18) To re-run jDownloader simply run the jd.sh script -
Code:

cd /opt
sh jd.sh

19) When it loads you should now see that the Maemo top bar is now solid across the top, meaning the jDownloader GUI is sightly smaller, but you should now be able to access the file menu items.

20) You can now configure anything you need to like premium accounts etc.

21) I think at this stage you can test jDownloader by copying links from MicroB!!

Additional Information

1) If you want to use the jDownloader web interface (you will need to leave the main app open), drop to MicroB and type http://localhost:<port number> e.g. http://localhost:8765, from there it should be fairly straight forward.

2) Do not use the unrar extension as this is x86 and will not work, I've not tested this however.

Any problems please let me know and I can update this for other users. The N900 truly amazes me, no more need to use the laptop for downloading!!

Good Luck!

AgogData 2011-02-04 21:58

Re: jDownloader - The N900 step-by-step instruction guide

good job, and i think its a matter of time before we see the debian version in the repos :)

soredawg 2011-02-04 22:29

On running sh jd.sh I get
"Could not find the main class: jd.update.Main. Program will exit."

edit: silly me downloaded the wrong java in my haste.
thanks for this!

lolloo 2011-02-04 23:22

this is the best post ever! now i can run any java app on my n900!!!

and thats like million program written in java!!

AWESOME

werebug 2011-02-05 08:38

For me the nightly version of JDownloader was more stable
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=5365

fuyoh 2011-02-05 08:46

thanks for sharing !

its great to have this awesome download manager in N900

casketizer 2011-02-05 11:30

Nice Tutorial.

You should make it clearer that the points after 8) should not be run as root. Running jd.sh as root will fill up rootfs.

I wish there was a solution to emulate right mouseclick....

lolloo 2011-02-05 13:16

just awesome!

raaj13 2011-02-05 14:26

don't know why my sunjava downloads stops around at 25mb.
Anyway thanks for the guide

xxxxts 2011-02-05 15:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgogData (Post 936336)
good job, and i think its a matter of time before we see the debian version in the repos :)

I hope your right!!!:D

paddyc1988 2011-02-05 20:24

This worked great,
but I was a ****** and did the "sh .jd.sh " root now I have no rootfs space so how can I uninstall it so I can reinstall it or can I just move the rootfs.
any help would be great

casketizer 2011-02-05 20:27

rm -rf /root/.jd

obviously as root....

strange1712 2011-02-06 00:36

Left mouse click is an issue here, that's why web interface is really necessary (for example, to delete downloads, etc)

lolloo 2011-02-06 09:15

just amazing! keep java apps comming!!

Rav 2011-02-06 20:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by werebug (Post 936625)
For me the nightly version of JDownloader was more stable
http://board.jdownloader.org/showthread.php?t=5365

It is today, but tomorrow? Even in that thread the developers quite rightly warn of the risks in deploying bleeding edge builds, but I guess the option is there for anyone who understands and is willing to accept the risks.

Rav 2011-02-06 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by casketizer (Post 936714)
Nice Tutorial.

You should make it clearer that the points after 8) should not be run as root. Running jd.sh as root will fill up rootfs.

I wish there was a solution to emulate right mouseclick....

Good observation casketizer, although inferred indirectly, I should of made this explicitly clear in the guide, I will update it to reflect this important point.

Thanks!

Rav 2011-02-06 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by paddyc1988 (Post 937009)
This worked great,
but I was a ****** and did the "sh .jd.sh " root now I have no rootfs space so how can I uninstall it so I can reinstall it or can I just move the rootfs.
any help would be great

Paddy, sorry for not making this clearer, I hope you managed to undo this by using casketizer's advice, I've updated the guide to make this point explicitly clear so that nobody else trips up on this!

Rav 2011-02-06 20:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by strange1712 (Post 937110)
Left mouse click is an issue here, that's why web interface is really necessary (for example, to delete downloads, etc)

I guess you mean right click, not left? Yes I agree the web interface extension helps in this respect however you can also delete downloads from the Links -> Clean Up menu.

lolloo 2011-02-06 20:41

just amazing!!! JAVA ftw!

laasonen 2011-02-06 21:31

Nice application, but Qt or GTK user interface would be great.

Hopefully some will try to port slimrat or something :)

ivgalvez 2011-02-09 07:49

Installed and running perfectly thanks to your guide.
It takes a while to start but seems pretty usable.

Can someone, please, create a desktop launcher with a nice icon. It would be great if someone create a debian package for Oracle's Java and another one for jDownloader.

kolos 2011-02-09 08:51

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 939707)
Installed and running perfectly thanks to your guide.
It takes a while to start but seems pretty usable.

Can someone, please, create a desktop launcher with a nice icon. It would be great if someone create a debian package for Oracle's Java and another one for jDownloader.

If you have jd.sh placed in opt, unpack attached file with 7-zip and then place jdownloader.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ and icon jdownloader.png in /home/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/.

If you have jd.sh somewhere else then just edit "Exec's" path in jdownloader.desktop file with text editor (leafpad, nano...).

ivgalvez 2011-02-09 10:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolos (Post 939743)
If you have jd.sh placed in opt, unpack attached file with 7-zip and then place jdownloader.desktop file in /usr/share/applications/hildon/ and icon jdownloader.png in /home/opt/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/apps/.

If you have jd.sh somewhere else then just edit "Exec's" path in jdownloader.desktop file with text editor (leafpad, nano...).

Thanks mate! I didn't know the place for .desktop files.

kolos 2011-02-09 10:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by ivgalvez (Post 939806)
Thanks mate! I didn't know the place for .desktop files.

That's very easy, just open X Terminal and type:

Code:

sudo gainroot
cd /
find -name "*.desktop"

This will give you a lot of different directories (paths), but you probably have installed Conky, so you can check where it is:

Code:

find -name "conky.desktop"

geneven 2011-02-09 11:03

Note on emulating right mouse click:

In most cases, if you hold down your finger or stylus longer than usual, an alternate menu pops up that is the equivalent to what you would see with a right mouse click.

Many users don't realize this. I'm not sure if it applies to your situation.

J4ZZ 2011-02-10 09:08

For those who want the latest Nightly (Build 13350) of JD.

open Terminal (NOT as root)

Code:

cd /home/user/.jd
and paste

Code:

java -Xmx512m -jar jdupdate.jar -branch NIGHTLY
Hit Enter!

To change back to default use:

Code:

java -Xmx512m -jar jdupdate.jar -branch reset
;-)

Greetz,

..::J4ZZ::..

raetzer 2011-02-10 13:36

Thank you Guy! Awesome!!

sjw6234 2011-02-10 17:41

how to change fonts at jDownloader?

i'm very confused.

sagor_sb37 2011-02-10 18:51

i m a new user................ n new to linux............
plz help me..........
after 8 step it says.......... version 1.6.0_18
bla bla..........

then what..........??
where i ve to write command ? in xterminal or elsewhere...........
n confuse which file i ve to download........... in jd index page............

lolloo 2011-02-10 19:04

this is so awesome!!! hope to alot of java apps on my N900!!!!

java rulzzzzzz

Honza. 2011-02-10 19:09

I recommend install under easy debian. You can run it in Maemo via debbie or sudo debian. It is very easy to intall, no problem and the same speed as installation directly in Maemo.

raetzer 2011-02-10 19:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honza. (Post 941189)
I recommend install under easy debian. You can run it in Maemo via debbie or sudo debian. It is very easy to intall, no problem and the same speed as installation directly in Maemo.

Well, i've made other experiences!
Last try in Easy Debian, JDownloader was installed successful, but it was unusable!
The performance was really really bad!

Honza. 2011-02-10 21:30

Hmm, how many seconds does take starting of jDownloader in Maemo? For me its 72 seconds from click on icon to full load under easy debian.

sagor_sb37 2011-02-11 00:40

can anyone clearly tell me how to unstall it................... plz

sagor_sb37 2011-02-11 10:44

anyone hearing me.................. i m new user............... i want get rid of it

sagor_sb37 2011-02-11 10:49

anyone hearing me.................. i m new user............... i want get rid of it

J4ZZ 2011-02-11 13:13

delete the .jd folder in /home/user using Filebox for example... same goes for the ejre1.6.0_21 folder in /opt and the ejre1.6.0_21***.tar.gz file in /opt. ;)
Also delete the *.desktop file and the icon from where you've put it.

That's all.

:cheers:

IzzehO 2011-02-15 06:15

Hmm I forgot there was a nicer implementation of Java available now. I originally tried this with icedtea and got errors, just tried my install with this and it works.

Unfortunately its prone to the same issues as downloading through MicroB: vfat's ridiculous instability with corrupted files and its obsession with making the filesystem read only.

Does anyone know if reformatting some of the emmc to ext4 would solve this?

J4ZZ 2011-02-15 07:58

Why not just trying it? If you don't need vfat or use windows, just format it to ext. I use gparted under ubuntu for it without any data loss. There are some threads around about formatting the whole MyDocs to ext filesystem. :)

Greetz,

IzzehO 2011-02-15 10:15

Meh gave up on it. Programs too laggy, memory/cpu hog and keeps crashing the phone. Went back to wget and wrote a nice little script for rapidshare that goes through a list of files, downloads them and deletes each line as it goes (just went through a list of 100+ files with no issues). Anyone is interested in something that doesnt corrupt vfat, use any resources and is really fast loading.

File rget in /usr/bin
Code:

while [ -s $1 ]
do
file=`cat $1 | head -n 1`
wget --http-user=USERNAME --http-password=PASSWORD $file
sed 1d $1 > tmp.txt
mv tmp.txt $1
done

Replacing USERNAME/PASSWORD with their respective values. It is then a matter of making a txt file with the links and calling it:
rget file.txt

Edit: Probably need to make it executable first with:
chmod +x rget

(as root obv)