maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [IGG Live][Slider Keyboard] Keyboard Mod for Moto Z (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98678)

mosen 2017-08-30 21:59

Re: [IGG Live][Slider Keyboard] Keyboard Mod for Moto Z

Really good looking!
It looks slimmer in the video than in still images imho.
Keylights are realy bright :D
I am so frikkin' happy i backed it.

Feathers McGraw 2017-08-31 18:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1533678)
Really good looking!
It looks slimmer in the video than in still images imho.

I think the battery pack and bottom cover of the mod aren't attached in the video.

I'd be interested to see more from underside (hinge etc), no idea how that part works!

chenliangchen 2017-09-04 14:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1533726)
I think the battery pack and bottom cover of the mod aren't attached in the video.

I'd be interested to see more from underside (hinge etc), no idea how that part works!

They are of course attached. We spent the last month trying to solve the connection problem and to add the Hall effect.

2 more videos was uploaded to twitter and worth a checking. ;)

Dave999 2017-09-04 14:24

Looks pretty nice that keyboard. The phone haveever looks pretty old :D

What's up with table/floor? It a hotel?

Feathers McGraw 2017-09-05 06:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1533912)
They are of course attached. We spent the last month trying to solve the connection problem and to add the Hall effect.

2 more videos was uploaded to twitter and worth a checking. ;)

Apologies, my mistake!

New videos look good, if you have time can you show the back of the device / side view during the slide? I'm curious about how the "push up and then adjust the angle" mechanism works.

chenliangchen 2017-09-05 23:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1533937)
Apologies, my mistake!

New videos look good, if you have time can you show the back of the device / side view during the slide? I'm curious about how the "push up and then adjust the angle" mechanism works.

I have the pictures to the FPC (connecting) part I can perhaps share with you privately. This is T0 sample the connecting FPC is not the same as the final one (they look a bit different) and with this old FPC the product in video is actually also thicker than the T1. So I don't want to go into too much details for now as they will change.

We are also making improvement from T0 to T1 sample, include but not limit to:

- Landscape lock orientation when the slider is out
- New FPC and connection parts results in 1.2mm thinner. (13mm with battery and 11mm without) (This is the reason I did not show this part it in current sample)
- Textured bottom housing
- And a lot more...

Although it's delayed but this product will be great! ;)

nci 2017-10-21 17:53

Will the Keyboard Mod work on LineageOS?

suicidal_orange 2017-10-21 20:18

Am I right in reading that only 30 of these lovely keyboards have been bought for resale in qwerty?

I'm trying to work out what my next phone should be, the moto Zs are the most expensive and biggest options so if there is no chance of getting a keyboard they can be removed from my shortlist.

I missed out on TOHKB years ago too, need to break this cycle!

chenliangchen 2017-10-22 02:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by nci (Post 1537418)
Will the Keyboard Mod work on LineageOS?

Not at the moment. But I believe as it hit market the community will make it work.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange (Post 1537427)
Am I right in reading that only 30 of these lovely keyboards have been bought for resale in qwerty?

I'm trying to work out what my next phone should be, the moto Zs are the most expensive and biggest options so if there is no chance of getting a keyboard they can be removed from my shortlist.

I missed out on TOHKB years ago too, need to break this cycle!

30 are the T1 prototypes, for various certification/sales purpose. As soon as it's officially on the market we will produce as many as the market needs.

P.S: IMHO Z Play/Z2 Play are better choice and cheaper as well. :)

nci 2017-10-22 03:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1537437)
Not at the moment. But I believe as it hit market the community will make it work.

Thank you very much for fast and honest answer!

suicidal_orange 2017-10-22 08:05

Quote:

As soon as it's officially on the market we will produce as many as the market needs.

P.S: IMHO Z Play/Z2 Play are better choice and cheaper as well. :)

Excellent news. I'm looking for a sailfish phone having snapped my Aqua Fish, currently using an Xperia Z3 compact which is like being on my old N8 and 808 - even the Jolla phone feels big now. 5.5 inches is huge!

At least I have time to get my hands on one before I decide :)

marmistrz 2017-10-22 10:16

Quote:

I'm wondering, what's the reason? Do you need to depend on some proprietary Motorola SDK?

chenliangchen 2017-10-23 04:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by marmistrz (Post 1537455)
I'm wondering, what's the reason? Do you need to depend on some proprietary Motorola SDK?

Yes. As an official licenced Mod we only support the official environment. But that does not stop separate development from others.

Feathers McGraw 2017-10-23 09:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by suicidal_orange (Post 1537444)
I'm looking for a sailfish phone having snapped my Aqua Fish

How did you manage that?!

suicidal_orange 2017-10-23 12:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1537512)
How did you manage that?!

I calmly sat in a car, walked round a supermarket, sat back in the car and by the time I got home and unpacked the food the screen was snapped pretty much across the middle. Didn't hear or feel a thing!

It still works but I don't trust it in a pocket and the touch accuracy is rubbish randomly :(

chenliangchen 2018-01-09 21:28

Livermorium's first product has been announced by Moto/Lonovo at CES today. I'm very proud of being listed the same place as Google and Qualcomm. It's just a beginning :)

kingstu 2018-01-09 21:47

Congratulations! I'm sure many including myself are very thankful of your tireless effort to make this moto mod a reality.

ka9yhd 2018-01-10 10:09

Congratulations Chen.

Metsämies 2018-01-10 10:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540094)
Livermorium's first product has been announced by Moto/Lonovo at CES today. I'm very proud of being listed the same place as Google and Qualcomm. It's just a beginning :)

We want the QWERTY slider soon! And please remember enough keys!

mosen 2018-01-10 11:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540094)
I'm very proud of being listed the same place as Google and Qualcomm. It's just a beginning :)

You can surely be!
My mouth stood wide open when i saw this Livermorium tweet.
That kind of exposure is priceless. Congratulations and much success for your CES stay!

r0kk3rz 2018-01-10 13:39

Quick little hands on demo

Full CNET Article

Looking good Chen! Congrats

chenliangchen 2018-01-10 17:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1540119)
Quick little hands on demo

Full CNET Article

Looking good Chen! Congrats

Thank you for the link. That was me (the hands) in the video demoing the Mod. :D

Dave999 2018-01-11 22:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540124)
Thank you for the link. That was me (the hands) in the video demoing the Mod. :D

Great hands! The mod is cool too :D

mscion 2018-01-23 14:55

Nice job! Nice to see an idea carried through to fruition. A rare thing nowadays!

Feathers McGraw 2018-01-30 22:01

Chen, I've been watching more videos on youtube about your slider mod, to get a feel for how robust the mechanism is. I have to say it looks great in all of the videos!

One thing that surprises me is how in so many of the videos, the youtuber puts the phone on the table and makes like they are going to type on it like a proper keyboard - very few people actually try thumb typing whilst holding it in both hands.

Did most people that came to your booth do that? Were people discouraged from handling it, or has everyone just forgotten how to use a slider? It's bizarre!

chenliangchen 2018-01-30 22:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw (Post 1540696)
Chen, I've been watching more videos on youtube about your slider mod, to get a feel for how robust the mechanism is. I have to say it looks great in all of the videos!

One thing that surprises me is how in so many of the videos, the youtuber puts the phone on the table and makes like they are going to type on it like a proper keyboard - very few people actually try thumb typing whilst holding it in both hands.

Did most people that came to your booth do that? Were people discouraged from handling it, or has everyone just forgotten how to use a slider? It's bizarre!

This is a nice spot. Actually I had the same question...

The purpose of this keyboard is handheld, like all the previous sliders, it's meant to type with both thumbs while holding in hands, like I did in the CNET video. And the ability to tilt the screen is to make the device a bit like N950/E7 to make a comfort typing angle, and can make it a stand on the table to watch videos. (I always did when I eat at home alone)

But to my surprise, a lot people perhaps the majority somehow thinks this is a mini-PC and complaining about the keyboard being too small for 10 fingers and not as enough key depth as PC keyboard. This even includes some editors from big named websites, such as Android Central. It's quite frustrating as I did tried to make the keys comfortable and make overall as thin as possible, but they expect to have something similar to a PC.

My personal speculation is that iPhone has dominated the market for so long, the real landscape slider that was released last time was around 2011/2012 and there wasn't a single successor since then. People started their smartphone life directly from "all screen" phones, might not have an understanding of how landscape slider works and how to use them.

Plus Moto Z is significantly bigger the last slider, (5.5" compared with 4.3" Photon Q), which may break the boundary of being a "phone" and might belong to "PC" category in their expectation.

I'm not complaining or disrespect them, they have actually brought up a very interesting point of view, which I haven't thought of myself.

And it's to my surprise to see landscape slider now becomes an absolute rarity and niche nowadays, and a significant amount of users don't know how to use them properly. And users started with iphone will probably never know the benefit of a landscape QWERTY and how to use them.

I wasn't at the CES booth all the time, but in my limited time there I have already explained a few times that it's meant for hand held.

Reminds me of a comment from IGG: It's like a vegetarian reviewing a BBQ Joint unfortunately. :)

Trzyzet 2018-01-30 22:47

One more question. My old iPhone 5 is getting too junky and I must replace my main phone. Of course I want to change it for Moto Z2 Play, but I want to ask - Will you manage to release the keyboard BEFORE Z3 series, which will be relased as last gen, in june? Or better wait for Z3 series and buy another junky phone for this few months?

Thanks for reply.

chenliangchen 2018-01-31 19:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trzyzet (Post 1540702)
One more question. My old iPhone 5 is getting too junky and I must replace my main phone. Of course I want to change it for Moto Z2 Play, but I want to ask - Will you manage to release the keyboard BEFORE Z3 series, which will be relased as last gen, in june? Or better wait for Z3 series and buy another junky phone for this few months?

Thanks for reply.

According to Moto's previous releasing schedule they will likely release a new flagship this coming June as well, and the rumoured "Z3" will likely have an edge-to-edge screen according to recent leaks. I don't work for Moto so these are all my speculations.

The Keyboard Mod will likely be hitting market on April because of the coming Chinese New Year, production will start around end of Feb onwards, and considering logistics April will be a reliable time. So that's before the Z3.

Z2 Play is probably the best overall option for its price and features. I have both Z2 Play and Force performance wise Force isn't significantly better (I don't play games) If you don't mind a mediocre camera than Z2 Play will be a good choice. :)

Trzyzet 2018-01-31 21:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540734)
According to Moto's previous releasing schedule they will likely release a new flagship this coming June as well, and the rumoured "Z3" will likely have an edge-to-edge screen according to recent leaks. I don't work for Moto so these are all my speculations.

I found some informations about Snapdragon 636 - it's a monster if you compare it to 626 which is in Z2 Play. I will try to wait for new models announcement, few completely new standards and much more powerful DSP is worth of it.

Of course keyboard will be waiting for new phone from April :D

chenliangchen 2018-02-02 15:46

A few backers has already received their products.

Dave999 2018-02-02 20:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540783)

Really nice box and all! Well done.

Better late than never!

HtheB 2018-02-02 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1540783)

weibo link is not workng though, needs login :(
btw, Congrats!
Now lets hope that Youyota gets on people hands as well! :)

Wasmachinemann-NL 2018-02-08 19:52

Can I use this keyboard in Rockbox for Android? If so, I might just ditch my N900 and get a Moto Z instead!

t-b 2018-02-08 21:46

Rockbox on recent Android versions is unfortunately not well supported. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/...14177.420.html

I love rockbox, and I've got a ton of "rockboxed " sansa players (clips/e200/fuse/c200) Bought them all on markplaats ;) very cheap the last few years. Personally I don't really need Rockbox on my phone, but it is surely nice to have it when no other options are available.

eekkelund 2018-03-04 19:03

3 Attachment(s)
Greetings from MWC!

I had the privilege to be able to test Livermorium's Moto Mod keyboard and I must say I am very impressed!
Livermorium and Chen has done great work with the keyboard! I'm happy with typing experience, I can compare it to N950 typing, it is very satisfying. Slider works nicely, snaps smoothly in and out.

If I would compare it to Gemini, I would say that Mod keyboard is done for thumb typing while holding the phone in your hand and Gemini has more computer style typing experience.

TheKit 2018-03-09 20:34

Received a battery-less version today (thanks again to @chenliangchen).

The whole construction looks weird at first, with phone part noticably heavier and thicker, but keys itself feel pretty good, even when compared to Droid 4. Overall text typing is way more comfortable than with on-screen keyboard.

As for SailfishOS, big kudos to Motorola engineers. The situation seems to be way better than what we expected. The core functionality of Moto Mods platform is handled by kernel greybus module, as opposed to Android services and frameworks.

Auto-hotplugging is disabled by default, probably to allow Mods Manager to check the plugged mod and ask user in case of uncertified one, but we can skip that on Sailfish. After it gets enabled, the kernel sees USB hub attached to USB host controller and normal USB keyboard on it, so the rest is plug-and-play (this also means you can't connect device to PC and use keyboard at the same time, but just charging works).

chenliangchen 2018-03-10 14:22

There is a very nice SFOS version already built for Moto Z Play, and Z, Z Play, Z2 Force and Z2 Play are all bootloader unlockable, so in theory all of them could get a community SFOS.

Now with the keyboard proven working under SFOS, I think we have a new option for Keyboard + SFOS, as a successor to the current TOHKBD solution.

Perhaps we should open another thread gathering all the info together, such as OS adaptation, Keyboard availability etc, if necessary.

Wasmachinemann-NL 2018-03-11 21:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-b (Post 1541012)
Rockbox on recent Android versions is unfortunately not well supported. http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php/...14177.420.html

I love rockbox, and I've got a ton of "rockboxed " sansa players (clips/e200/fuse/c200) Bought them all on markplaats ;) very cheap the last few years. Personally I don't really need Rockbox on my phone, but it is surely nice to have it when no other options are available.

Damn, so i'm SOL and have to stick with my N900 then?