maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   .Net or Java ? or am i just delusional (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=96352)

ZogG 2016-01-19 16:31

Re: .Net or Java ? or am i just delusional

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1495463)
hahahahahahaa...
oh my ...
that was good zogg...

but srsly - not .net ...
can't you guys smell the burning?

there is no more anti MS than me and i would say .net is a good one actually.

endsormeans 2016-01-19 16:40

for the time being...
but I like java...
(personal pref. of course)

Fuzzillogic 2016-01-19 18:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by romu (Post 1495428)
After some time to think about it. If we assume the web is eating the world, I would recommend to forget about Java and .Net and learn web development instead.

Heavens, no. Web tech is like the result of inbreeding Frankenstein's monster's offspring. It's a mish mash of various poorly integrating techniques, which are inconveniently held together by a plethora of third party, often amateurish libraries. And you're using a dynamically typed interpreted language as glue.

I've marveled at how pleasant QML/QtQuick is compared to web tech - even though QML is a javascript-derived language.

pycage 2016-01-19 20:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1495503)
I've marveled at how pleasant QML/QtQuick is compared to web tech - even though QML is a javascript-derived language.

Yeah, there's no comparison between the elegance of QML and the clumsiness of web tech. QML, however, is not JavaScript derived, but QtQuick merely features a pretty fast JavaScript engine.

JavaScript, OTOH, shouldn't be put aside as the web's toy language it once was.
It came a long way, got highly optimized JavaScript engines, and excels as an object-based functional language with lambda expressions, closures (a very powerful concept), and prototypical inheritance. And it is THE language that powers the web 2.0.

Fuzzillogic 2016-01-19 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1495534)
Yeah, there's no comparison between the elegance of QML and the clumsiness of web tech. QML, however, is not JavaScript derived, but QtQuick merely features a pretty fast JavaScript engine.

Yeah, but it mostly is javascript :p It's not a drawback, it's well-suited to handle the GUI side of things.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pycage (Post 1495534)
JavaScript, OTOH, shouldn't be put aside as the web's toy language it once was.
It came a long way, got highly optimized JavaScript engines, and excels as an object-based functional language with lambda expressions, closures (a very powerful concept), and prototypical inheritance. And it is THE language that powers the web 2.0.

Yet you can't use these features most of the time, because of browser support. It has its strengths, but can't compete to Java or C#.

I've no hands-on experience with C++11/14 unfortunately, but from what I've read, it looks nice too these days. Combine it with Qt and QML, and it might prove to be a whole lot more nicer than WPF/XAML, which is also declarative, but is much more convoluted than QML/QtQuick.

juiceme 2016-01-20 13:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1495562)
Yet you can't use these features most of the time, because of browser support. It has its strengths, but can't compete to Java or C#.

Yo wot? ever heard of nodejs?

ZogG 2016-01-20 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1495632)
Yo wot? ever heard of nodejs?

And still you can't compare those, especially performance!

And just to prove my point - watch this (you can skip the beginning as it's little bit of rails there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhZZNUyVFM

juiceme 2016-01-21 08:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by ZogG (Post 1495655)
And still you can't compare those, especially performance!

And just to prove my point - watch this (you can skip the beginning as it's little bit of rails there):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqhZZNUyVFM

Nowdays nodejs performance is pretty good.
And BTW, did you try the above tricks in node, or in a browser console, and if you did, what version was it...?
Since I just checked and at least v0.12.2 behaves more consistently.

romu 2016-01-21 09:16

Hi guys, advocates of learning Qt/QML. The problem is not what's the best development platform. Time has shown many times that the best technology doesn't win all the time.

And if we're talking of learning development to make a living. Sorry, but web development can offer much much more jobs opportunities than Qt/QML.

ravivc 2018-10-30 10:34

I know about a programming introduction courses of Java. The advantage here is that you'll have a Interactive walkthrough. This is codegym codegym java course