maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   [IGG Live][Slider Keyboard] Keyboard Mod for Moto Z (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=98678)

mosen 2017-02-18 18:32

Re: [Brainstorm][Maybe the real one?] Maemo Community Device

Looks great indeed!
I personally never used the Gamepad/arrows on tohkbd but loved the overall haptics of the button design.
Only they maybe could be as big as possible for more typing comfort.
Spilt keyboard is a good idea, at least abreviating from virtual kbd use.

chenliangchen 2017-02-18 18:39

Some insight just for our community:

I was working on a "angled" slider on the beginning, similar to N97/E7/N950, but a lot problem arose:

- Too much moulding cost.
- Structure is a lot more complicated.
- Easier to break, less durability... Which means harder on warranty.
- The phone on the top will be too heavy to sit, if thicken the keyboard with battery, it is too chunky.

So we get back to the flat design...

The product is targeted into having premium quality, which means the best moulding and material, industrial robust structure, and comfort typing experience. There will be extra batteries and back-light under keypads.

The campaign "coming soon" page will hopefully be created in 1 or two days.

The keyboard is set a similar price tag as TOHKBD, it will be worth every penny. (hopefully)

I really wish this product could be successful and then will consider doing an all-in-one slider with tilted angle screen. :)

chenliangchen 2017-02-19 03:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1521870)
Imagine that we have that open bootloader, octocore, 4GB, LTE and whatnot imaginary device - so what? Without us spending time on porting packages, Fremantle will not magically rebase itself - it needs somebody putting effort on it. The less devs do that effort, the longer time it will take. With nobody doing it, it will never happen.

just my 2 cents

Well at least I'm putting effort on the hardware side.

I agree with you, there is a lot of useless brainstorming topics.

But I hope this time I could change.

taixzo 2017-02-19 07:46

TOHKDB does indeed have key weight problems - I could not type nearly as fast as on N900 simply because of how much force was required to press the keys. To the point that I rarely use it if not coding or doing something that requires a control key.
Which said: the control and arrow keys are some of the best parts of having a physical keyboard.

mosen 2017-02-19 08:22

so porting is a question of raising interest within the "porters scene"?
How to do it on win/with basis for porters? Simply buy a zplay and lend it around as some sort of loaner? Attach some monetary reward and do a contest?
All ports rely on personal interest of individual porters afaiu.
How to prevent a nexus 7/9 scenario: nice HW but porting effort seem to have stopped in early stage.

r0kk3rz 2017-02-19 09:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosen (Post 1523734)
so porting is a question of raising interest within the "porters scene"?
How to do it on win/with basis for porters? Simply buy a zplay and lend it around as some sort of loaner? Attach some monetary reward and do a contest?
All ports rely on personal interest of individual porters afaiu.
How to prevent a nexus 7/9 scenario: nice HW but porting effort seem to have stopped in early stage.

I had a bit of a further look into the porting side of things, it seems it only has a partially working cm-14 port, which we don't support yet (up to cm-13).

More crucially, the Moto Mods part of the device isn't working under Cyanogen but I guess middleware will have to be created for Sailfish anyway.

As for how to approach it? jump into the #sailfishos-porters channel and talk to us, maybe someone wants to do it, maybe someone really wants a keyboarded device too and is willing to work to make it happen? who knows its up to those individuals as to how they spend their time.

padmaraj.ravi 2017-02-19 17:09

For a maemo 5 with minimum 2 GB of RAM , decent processor , Slider qwerty and 3G/4G Telephony support, Bluetooth , Min 2MP front Camera(I dont care about the back camera), GPS , Big battery - I am willing to pay upto 600 USD. Ready to compromise of everything else , other than what i have mentioned above.

chenliangchen 2017-02-19 19:05

Some more update: after some poll at folks around me and general people's opinion, most of the users prefer to have the arrow/navigation at bottom right corner rather than on the left, similar to N900/N950 or the Motorola sliders. Because we are crowd funding the device, in order to attract more "general" users, I will probably adapt common design...

I personally like the arrows on the left though...

juiceme 2017-02-19 21:02

I'm ambidextrous so both are OK :D

Valkyr 2017-02-19 21:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1522668)
After some careful consideration and evaluation I decided to execute this idea in another slightly different method:

Instead of building a complete slider phone, I will do a Slider Keyboard Mod for the Moto Z series.

This is really awesome idea. From what I can see everyone tries to take on too much and the weight of it all cripples any project attempting something like this. By using a commercial product like the Moto Z we are able to leverage most of the work being done, and focus on adding the features the community desires. This minimizes the problem that pichio described earlier since its lowers the amount of effort needed into something closer to what people can manage.

badpixel 2017-02-19 22:03

And chorded keyboard on the back please. It can be used as universal back buttons. With side buttons (like L, R) it would be more versatile, especially as gamepad.

And I cannot promise that I will ever buy your keyboard, because i prefer n9 and meego than some bulky phones with android/sailfish.
Meego Harmattan has perfect look&feel for me. I would like to switch to n950 but only half of storage or RAM, and prices are insane.

But maybe if both Lenovo (with Moto Mods) and you will success (with keyboard) then Lenovo will release more compact moto-z and you more compact keyboard. Anyway, good luck!

kinggo 2017-02-19 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1523750)
Some more update: after some poll at folks around me and general people's opinion, most of the users prefer to have the arrow/navigation at bottom right corner rather than on the left, similar to N900/N950 or the Motorola sliders. Because we are crowd funding the device, in order to attract more "general" users, I will probably adapt common design...

I personally like the arrows on the left though...

weird. So, most of the people are lefties?

pichlo 2017-02-20 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1523758)

I take it you mean left-handed as we do not like talking about politics here ;)

I, as a right-handed person, would naturally prefer cursor keys on the right. But, like juiceme, I am not particularly bothered.

chenliangchen 2017-02-20 22:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by kinggo (Post 1523758)

It's just habit. Maybe all PCs have arrows on bottom right, so user will look for bottom right by default...

nthn 2017-02-21 08:44

That's what I thought, too. The arrow keys on the left make more sense as a D-pad for playing video games, arrow keys on the right resemble the layout on a computer keyboard. In the end, though, I don't think it really matters which side they are on a mobile keyboard, because although you have a dominant hand I doubt there's something like a dominant thumb.

r0kk3rz 2017-02-21 09:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1523797)
It's just habit. Maybe all PCs have arrows on bottom right, so user will look for bottom right by default...

Sure, but what is going to feel the most comfortable and natural?

Using the arrow keys on a PC keyboard is with your fingers, D-Pad on a gamepad is with your thumb.

Since this is likely to be used with your thumb I would expect on balance that more people would feel at home with a D-Pad style arrangement. OTOH the subsection of people who are n900 owners but not console gamers would probably be more at home with the n900 layout.

No doubt this is one of those ergonomics factors where you're not going to please everyone

EDIT: Third alternative: TV remote, which i expect people would use with their thumb in their dominant hand...

Flash-A-Holic 2017-02-21 10:23

Finally this is becoming reality: Hardware Keyboard for MOTOROLA Moto Z, via Moto Mods. So far things are looking very promising but I have two things in my mind:

1. Size
Moto Z is pretty massive phone (153.3mm long) so it can be hard to reach the buttons in the middle of the keyboard. I did a DIY qwerty slider Android phone with Xiaomi Mi4C (138.1mm) and iPhone 6 (138.1mm) keyboard case. For my hands the length was absolutely maximum. Anything longer would have been too much. Now I'm using my Droid 4 daily and the length (127mm) is comfortable.

Because of that I'm suggesting to split the keyboard. Something like these: LG Protype, Dell prototype. In the middle there could be touchscreen, touchpad, speaker or extra buttons (for camera maybe?). It can also just be empty for lowering costs.

2. Software
Moto Z is a Android phone. It is possible to port Sailfish OS to Moto Z for example but it is not easy job. Like r0kk3rz already pointed out that Moto Z family is lacking CM13 ports. (Even Droid 4 doesn't have Sailfish OS port even though it has good CM support). Another thing to worry about is how the Moto Mod will work if we ditch Android? OS development will need special support.

Anyway I hope this will become reality. Keep up the good work! :)

mosen 2017-02-21 10:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1523813)
Sure, but what is going to feel the most comfortable and natural?

Yes, thumbcontrol is to be concidered as standard way of using a small kbd.
If you think about it, an arrowkeypad in center of a split kbd would fit left and right handed people and grant more grip and possibly even onehanded use?
Has it ever been tried before?

EDIT, searchengines reveal some virtual attempts:

http://cdn3.mos.techradar.futurecdn....eyb-580-90.jpghttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/Px...f2VWM3DqSIShZBhttps://lh5.ggpht.com/lLJzU0gSEuwEvz...B-yGChWNw=h900http://cdn.appstorm.net/android.apps...scape-mode.jpg

TheKit 2017-02-21 12:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash-A-Holic (Post 1523817)
Droid 4 doesn't have Sailfish OS port even though it has good CM support)

Offtopic, but I'm currently doing Droid 4 port. Plan to post it once the basic things are fixed (currently missing sound input and camera at least).
https://puu.sh/ud5qT/757e1934aa.jpg

chenliangchen 2017-02-21 13:27

The ID, layout and structure has been finalised today. I will share more info later.

The device will be produced in one of the Foxconn factories, I hope that can assure quality concerns.

Flash-A-Holic 2017-02-21 17:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKit (Post 1523824)
Offtopic, but I'm currently doing Droid 4 port. Plan to post it once the basic things are fixed (currently missing sound input and camera at least).
https://puu.sh/ud5qT/757e1934aa.jpg

I can not wait to test it! :)

And something on topic (short off): Lenovo is planning to release 12 Moto Mods this year and it is going to support Moto Mods for next three years. Looking good for a "Powered by Maemo" device.

chenliangchen 2017-02-21 20:38

1 Attachment(s)
This will be the keyboard layout to start with, not sure if the pic quality is clear enough, as the server compresses the image...

The left D-Pad has been ditched unfortunately, to favour general taste...

There is also some interesting add-on:

- Android home (circle) and task view (square) has been added to the keyboard and back (Triangle) will be merged with esc, basicly they do the same thing.

- Added different shortcuts above number row rather than Fn numbers. The F1/F2 on top right are open for user to map.

- There will be a dedicated camera button act as a shutter because to use camera the slide has to be open :D

chenliangchen 2017-02-21 21:16

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flash-A-Holic (Post 1523848)
Looking good for a "Powered by Maemo" device.

Thank you! Hope that day will come sooner than we expect.

Like mentioned on another post, initially the slider is angled like the N950, but given the back camera limitation and size control, this structure will be carried over to the real builtin slider phone. (AKA Power by Maemo, if that ever exists...)

taixzo 2017-02-21 21:32

Regarding the top row: Why have volume buttons? The phone already has physical volume buttons. Those keys could be better used as other shortcuts, or more function keys.

kinggo 2017-02-21 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1523795)
I take it you mean left-handed as we do not like talking about politics here ;)

I, as a right-handed person, would naturally prefer cursor keys on the right. But, like juiceme, I am not particularly bothered.

to me. as a right handed, it is easier to type with right thumb. I'm more precise and that's why I would prefer cursor on the left.

chenliangchen 2017-02-21 21:50

https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/st...41686951460864

Please help me showing some love and spread our proud. :D

Edit: This is the official one

https://twitter.com/LivermoriumLtd/s...79621960695811

brunelli 2017-02-21 21:56

Wow, really good to see this. The overall design looks nice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1523855)
- There will be a dedicated camera button act as a shutter because to use camera the slide has to be open :D

I'm not sure about the software side of this, but maybe have the Enter key act as a shutter button when the camera app is open? A dedicated key for the camera would be a wasted key for a lot of people (it doesn't look like the HWKBD-people are selfie-people).

Quote:

Originally Posted by taixzo (Post 1523861)
Regarding the top row: Why have volume buttons? The phone already has physical volume buttons. Those keys could be better used as other shortcuts, or more function keys.

I second this. The F1 and F2 keys look really weird on the right. Why not have all the function keys and then let shortcuts be assigned?

Also, I doubt people would use the www. and .com keys (I for one would always forget them). In my opition it would be good to have it clean and let the user configure them (maybe to include other characters, like ç, ñ, ß...).

mr_pingu 2017-02-21 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1523864)
Wow, really good to see this. The overall design looks nice.

I'm not sure about the software side of this, but maybe have the Enter key act as a shutter button when the camera app is open? A dedicated key for the camera would be a wasted key for a lot of people (it doesn't look like the HWKBD-people are selfie-people).

I second this. The F1 and F2 keys look really weird on the right. Why not have all the function keys and then let shortcuts be assigned?

Also, I doubt people would use the www. and .com keys (I for one would always forget them). In my opition it would be good to have it clean and let the user configure them (maybe to include other characters, like ç, ñ, ß...).

Yeah make use of 4th level key assignments. eg fn + shift + 1 = f1, just like it's on the advanced keyboard remap for N900. https://wiki.maemo.org/Remapping_key...ome_kbdmapping

Also I am missing the " | ", quite useful when using commandline

chenliangchen 2017-02-21 22:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr_pingu (Post 1523866)
Also I am missing the " | ", quite useful when using commandline

Isn't that on top of B?

chenliangchen 2017-02-22 20:53

Coming soon page has been created.

There is hell lots of things to do for the campaign. Don't have enough time :(

Please leave your email there if you want to grab some discounted early bird perk quickly.

chenliangchen 2017-02-22 22:34

2 Attachment(s)
This will be the looking of back.

brunelli 2017-02-22 22:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1523909)
Coming soon page has been created.

There is hell lots of things to do for the campaign. Don't have enough time :(

Sorry to be asking that, but just to clarify:

- Are you planning on starting the campaign with only the mockups to show up or do you already have a prototype, contact with e.g. the keypad suppliers or anything palpable?

- Are you making all this (design, dealing with the campaign and production) alone?

- I understand you have won some kind of challenge, does that mean Lenovo will, in any way, help with the device production?

chenliangchen 2017-02-22 22:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1523913)
Sorry to be asking that, but just to clarify:

- Are you planning on starting the campaign with only the mockups to show up or do you already have a prototype, contact with e.g. the keypad suppliers or anything palpable?

- Are you making all this (design, dealing with the campaign and production) alone?

- I understand you have won some kind of challenge, does that mean Lenovo will, in any way, help with the device production?

The prototype is under engineering. I have already broke 2 dev boards. We are getting there.

No I am partnering with a professional design and manufacturering company. They have partnership with Foxconn for all there devices, including this one. Will have professional quality control.

All your questions will hopefully be answered when the formal campaign launches

brunelli 2017-02-22 23:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1523914)
No I am partnering with a professional design and manufacturering company. They have partnership with Foxconn for all there devices, including this one. Will have professional quality control.

Nice! Now I'm seriously thinking about joining this boat :p

Good luck with the campaign!

mosen 2017-02-22 23:14

Having a clear line and not listening to late Brainstorming too much is enough proof of competence for me.
Please Sir, put a price tag on it and take my money.

chenliangchen 2017-02-22 23:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by brunelli (Post 1523915)
Nice! Now I'm seriously thinking about joining this boat :p

Good luck with the campaign!

You will have detail info of all the players on the final campaign page. I'm playing this seriously. :)

NX500 2017-02-23 11:51

Is the Motorola Z actually the right device for Sailfish?
I mean, as soon as Motorola drops support for the device or Qualcomm drops support for the chipset we're SOL regarding future sailfish/driver updates etc..
Aren't we?

Unless I missed the news of Qualcomm releasing its sources which would help us "bypass" all future problems regarding updates and driversupport, this will be a problem.

r0kk3rz 2017-02-23 13:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by NX500 (Post 1523927)
Is the Motorola Z actually the right device for Sailfish?
I mean, as soon as Motorola drops support for the device or Qualcomm drops support for the chipset we're SOL regarding future sailfish/driver updates etc..
Aren't we?

Unless I missed the news of Qualcomm releasing its sources which would help us "bypass" all future problems regarding updates and driversupport, this will be a problem.

Yes and No.

Sailfish still works on an old kernel version so until that changes it should be fine for any future Sailfish updates.

Driver updates are of course at the mercy of Qualcomm and Motorola, but in general unless there is some kind of problem with the driver using an old version is fine.

Aside from that, the purpose of using the Motorola Z is because of the Moto Mods functionality, which saves Chen from having to create a whole device and allows him to focus on just the keyboard part of it.

NX500 2017-02-23 13:48

I see..

Let's hope everything works out fine then. :)

chenliangchen 2017-02-23 16:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by r0kk3rz (Post 1523931)
Aside from that, the purpose of using the Motorola Z is because of the Moto Mods functionality, which saves Chen from having to create a whole device and allows him to focus on just the keyboard part of it.

Thanks for that! Yes it is absolutely correct. Building a keyboard only is so much easier than a phone, given the current budget.

It also has a purpose of showing how much interest the market has. If this keyboard can drive a lot of attention, it will be easier and more confident for me to persuade manufacturer to design/produce a QWERTY device. :)