maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Buy & Sell (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   [ALERT] Sailfish license can't be transfered!!! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100471)

Fellfrosch 2018-09-18 13:07

Re: [ALERT] Sailfish license can't be transfered!!!

Yes that's legal. There is actually a company named UsedSoft, which is specialized in selling used Software. They went through different courts and they won every time. It's even legal to sell Licences from a volume licence contract.

But even if selling of used software is allowed. I'm not sure if a company can be forced to help you selling the software. And without the help of Jolla it is not possible to transfer the licence.

benny1967 2018-09-18 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1548628)
Yes that's legal. There is actually a company named UsedSoft, which is specialized in selling used Software. They went through different courts and they won every time. It's even legal to sell Licences from a volume licence contract.

That's being discussed on TJC, too, at the moment. AFAIK the court rulings are only vaild in cases in which the software hasnt been installed before ("surplus licenses").

pichlo 2018-09-18 13:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1548626)
But what if I wanted to transfer a Microsoft license to somebody else without the computer? Is that allowed?

That is not what the OP was about. It was about selling Xperia X with the Sailfish license.

(Also, an interesting answer by Fellfrosch. Thanks!)

aspergerguy 2018-09-18 13:39

At least a policy has been defined before there is a rush to transfer licenses before 12 month update support ends for Xperia X license and we find out how much (annual) renewal fee will be.

mscion 2018-09-18 14:04

Quote:

But what if I wanted to transfer a Microsoft license to somebody else without the computer? Is that allowed?

I am not a lawyer, indeed, far from it, but I think the answer is yes. Check section b, about 6 lines down. Can be transfered to another computer that the seller does not own. But you must remove software from previous device.

I've also seen that software can be associated with the motherboard. So if you swap the motherboard out of your computer you have to buy a new license.

I guess if this buisness model works for Jolla, I can't fault them for that. Personally, I wish you could order the hardware (say, the xperia or what every device they can support) and software from Jolla and they install it for you so you just buy the finished product.

Fellfrosch 2018-09-18 14:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by benny1967 (Post 1548629)
That's being discussed on TJC, too, at the moment. AFAIK the court rulings are only vaild in cases in which the software hasnt been installed before ("surplus licenses").

Well the Companies name is UsedSoft, not NeverInstalledSoft :D;)
No it doesn't matter, if it was once installed. The only constraint is, that it is not allowed to install it on more than one device at once.

https://www.usedsoft.com/en/used-sof...gal-situation/

catbus 2018-09-18 18:29

Quote:

Real question is... Who want M$ product with or without license?

Sorry, really bad day...

carlosgonz 2018-09-18 18:37

the license has to be to imei-device not to personal-device, so jolla is wrongful.

gerbick 2018-09-18 19:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1548639)
Real question is... Who want M$ product with or without license?

Mostly nobody that will post here.

peterleinchen 2018-09-18 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommo (Post 1548594)
But please remember they are only a start up company , we must give them time .

This is sarcasm, isn't it? :eek: