maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   sailfish-maps rpm from a Jolla 1? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100278)

lfc22 2018-04-08 04:10

Re: sailfish-maps rpm from a Jolla 1?

Quote:

Originally Posted by rinigus (Post 1542828)
as one of the developers working on maps software (OSM Scout Server, offline provider for use with the map clients), I am curious. What did you find missing in them? Has it been covered in github issues of the projects already or is it something different? Constructive critique is welcome, it helps to evolve.

- Night mode
- Better search capabilities. At least in the US, it does not find addresses reliably. Tried all options: OpenCage, OSM Scout, Photon.

(FYI, using on Onyx in case it matters)

MartinK 2018-04-08 23:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolda (Post 1542885)
I very much do miss the following "stupid" feature : if I simply tap somewhere in the map, I can see point-to-point distance from my location. Nothing fancy, and usually I do it when I want to get a feeling how far is that from me instead of a super-accurate timing for a walk / drive. And as a human being, I am quite often driven by feelings :-D

Looks like it should be easy to implement in modRana - there is even a "point info" page you can show after long pressing any point on the map where the distance from current position could be shown. :)

I've created a tracking issue - if you have a GitHub account, you can subscribe to it to be notified once the feature is implemented. :)

Wolda 2018-04-09 00:49

^^ Díky ;)

MartinK 2018-04-09 14:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wolda (Post 1543134)
^^ Díky ;)

V pohodě. :)

smatkovi 2018-04-09 15:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by lfc22 (Post 1543119)
- Night mode
- Better search capabilities. At least in the US, it does not find addresses reliably. Tried all options: OpenCage, OSM Scout, Photon.

(FYI, using on Onyx in case it matters)

actually whogo-maps has nightmode

Jozz 2019-05-02 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by objectifnul (Post 1543081)

Does anyone have a newer version? It does work on my Xperia X with SFOS 3.0.1.11, but I prefer to have the latest version if possible.

pichlo 2019-05-02 14:31

1 Attachment(s)
Here you go.
But seriously, who uses Sailfish Maps anyway? Use Pure Maps instead. Much better in every aspect.

nthn 2019-05-03 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1556609)
Here you go.
But seriously, who uses Sailfish Maps anyway? Use Pure Maps instead. Much better in every aspect.

Sailfish Maps admittedly has one nice feature where you can add a picture to your saved locations. Perhaps that's the killer feature that would make everyone switch to Pure Maps.

Honestly though, I think Jolla should dump Sailfish Maps entirely and distribute Pure Maps as the 'official' Sailfish map application, bypassing all Harbour restrictions. They wouldn't have to spend any more money, time and other resources on developing their by now long lacklustre maps application any further. I don't think the license would be problematic either because Maps isn't technically part of Sailfish as it isn't included in the default bundle, you have to install it manually.

pichlo 2019-05-03 13:24

@nthn,

+1

They could even support rinigus financially and still save money.

eson 2019-05-03 19:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by nthn (Post 1556625)
Honestly though, I think Jolla should dump Sailfish Maps entirely and distribute Pure Maps as the 'official' Sailfish map application, bypassing all Harbour restrictions.

I've had the same thoughts for months, and I'm sure we are not alone. :)