maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The new QWERTY device project (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=99632)

HtheB 2019-02-03 20:04

Re: The new QWERTY device project

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave999 (Post 1553507)
I’m fine with that. As long its not Sailfish. Jolla using community and give very little back. Not even tiny refunds. Hope Chen stay away from russian OS.

I think we might looking at a newsletter week...

How do you know it's a newsletter week? Isn't it Chinese new year? Or do you know something that we don't know? Share it with us. You seems to know a lot. Have you tried the phone already? Does it type good? Or do we get a newsletter that says it's been canceled?

endsormeans 2019-02-03 20:22

Oh Dave knows...

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/dc/36/4b/d...arians-nai.jpg

its all the transmissions he picks up in his head from the mercury in his fillings...
He gets direct broadcasts...
Bet Dave knows if it will be a long winter or early spring too...

Hey Dave ...see your shadow yet?

(My money is on longer winter since the polar vortex is sucking us all up like a Dyson vac.)

Dave999 2019-02-03 20:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1553511)
Oh Dave knows...

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/dc/36/4b/d...arians-nai.jpg

its all the transmissions he picks up in his head from the mercury in his fillings...
He gets direct broadcasts...
Bet Dave knows if it will be a long winter or early spring too...

Hey Dave ...see your shadow yet?

(My money is on longer winter since the polar vortex is sucking us all up like a Dyson vac.)

Yes. Add some extensive 1 sec investogation makes a newsletter possible coming week...s. But also chens message five days ago makes it likley to see that next week.

”Preparing for the launch. New one will come shortly! :)”

New one as in news letter. Plus shortly means shortly.

Any follow ups on that. Htheb?

@enso. Did you see the NASA measurments? Some coldness heading your way.

levone1 2019-02-03 21:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1553506)
Well you can think you are stuck in the past ...
but LuneOS is not quite "in the past" just yet...
Their team is still motoring on.
I keep an eyeball on these alt os's , plasma, touch, maru, lune, etc.
see where they are at.
Lune is alive and well in fact ...
Lune just released last november their Stable Release called Doppio
https://forums.webosnation.com/luneo...ml#post3454959
It is on my "to do " list for trying it out on my nexus 5 actually.
I haven't really had time to play with it yet.
Looking forward to it though.

I'm pretty novice on building, etc., but I was wondering about the possibility of getting Lune going on my X Compact. I have seen on Halium github that XC is currently being worked on, but I wasn't sure - do I need to wait for something like Halium to use as a base, or could I build Lune for my phone as-is? There is unofficial Lineage 14 builds already... Just not exactly sure how to start, (sorry for off-topic; I'm done now)...

endsormeans 2019-02-03 21:45

To quickly answer and allow the conversation back to topic,
personally I am not sure concerning your specific device desires, you would have to research it.
and ..
@ Dave
It started snowing here starting at 6am, is expected to continue so til tomorrow morning, it is just a dusting so far. Odds are it will be gone in a day or two. A wing of the vortex took a swipe this way, dropped temps to -2 overnight and 2 during the day...it won't last for us.However the cooler temps may stick around a bit now, it is hard to say.
But it is nothing like the continent is getting hit with.
Reminds me of some of the storms we got back in the 70's , proper winter storms on the continent back then.

catbus 2019-02-03 22:35

When i readed above messages... understood that my writings are not so off topic at all... clearly... maybe some could find a buyer, finally...

sorry, I'm going to do some 10 min personal penalty... or more...

gtmaster303 2019-02-04 14:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1553508)
How do you know it's a newsletter week? Isn't it Chinese new year? Or do you know something that we don't know? Share it with us. You seems to know a lot. Have you tried the phone already? Does it type good? Or do we get a newsletter that says it's been canceled?

Well chen has been ignoring my tweets to him. I sent him one letting him know I sent over all the info we have about the phone to gsmarena.com so they can run a story. Maybe drum up some attention for the new phone.
Also asked him if he's still on track for a Q1 launch

No answer to either :(
Edit: I totally forgot, I also asked about what an NDA is and why it's needed for developer loaner devices from the xda article published. No answer to that either...

Have I ever told you how much I love being left in the dark?
Don't get me wrong I'm beyond excited for this device but I want to make sure it follows through for all of our sakes. Updates are appreciated, but if there's problems, please don't get my hopes up. I prefer as much transparency as possible. I specifically registered on this forum to share in the excitement with all of you

pichlo 2019-02-04 14:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtmaster303 (Post 1553566)

Devil's advocate hat on, people can be busy, you know. I have been guilty of the same thing on the odd occasion. Promised something "in about a week" and took nearly two months when life got in the way.

That said, I was not proud of that.

HtheB 2019-02-04 18:49

Quote:

Well chen has been ignoring my tweets to him. I sent him one letting him know I sent over all the info we have about the phone to gsmarena.com so they can run a story. Maybe drum up some attention for the new phone.
Also asked him if he's still on track for a Q1 launch

No answer to either :(
Edit: I totally forgot, I also asked about what an NDA is and why it's needed for developer loaner devices from the xda article published. No answer to that either...

Don't get me wrong I'm beyond excited for this device but I want to make sure it follows through for all of our sakes. Updates are appreciated, but if there's problems, please don't get my hopes up. I prefer as much transparency as possible. I specifically registered on this forum to share in the excitement with all of you

Aside that they are very busy, he is not responsible to you to give you answers on these things. Try asking the same questions to Samsung or Apple. I wonder what will happen.

Macros 2019-02-04 20:47

Quote:

There I can help you. A Non Disclosure Agreement basically is any signed agreement in the form of:
"You can work on this, but don't tell anybody about these things you see and do."

They are very common when dealing with any bigger companies.

You want to develop drivers for this hardware in your new mobile phone? Sure! We want to sell it as you know. We will even give you details about how our hardware works so you can optimize them better. We just require you to sign here, that you do not tell anybody about the hardware, so our rival can not copy the technology.

Thats the mindset behind NDAs, and in their basic form they are very justified.

Like any legal agreement they tend to get complicated and sometimes bad companies try to exploit that. For example Nvidia recently tried to include a clause which said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvidia NDA
Recipient shall use Confidential Information solely for the benefit of Nvidia"

that lead to the press leaking the NDA contract and making a scandal out of it. In the full text of the NDA the sentence continues and is not as bad as it sounds.

catbus 2019-02-04 22:53

Quote:

One question... Have You done any developing/testing for uncoming device/software before?

Is there/here mirror anywhere?

Dave999 2019-02-04 22:58

Why are we talking about NDAs? Poeple who signed NDA should obviously not be in this thread or twitter and talk about it.

I think it’s actually embarrassing that we need NDAs in the first place. So if poeple don’t trust me it’s no point in doing buissniess. Why help/work for anyone who don’t trust you. :confused: not pointing fingers here. It’s just an open question while we are on the subject and waiting for some kind of news.

gtmaster303 2019-02-04 23:34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Macros (Post 1553583)
There I can help you. A Non Disclosure Agreement basically is any signed agreement in the form of:
"You can work on this, but don't tell anybody about these things you see and do."

They are very common when dealing with any bigger companies.

You want to develop drivers for this hardware in your new mobile phone? Sure! We want to sell it as you know. We will even give you details about how our hardware works so you can optimize them better. We just require you to sign here, that you do not tell anybody about the hardware, so our rival can not copy the technology.

Thats the mindset behind NDAs, and in their basic form they are very justified.

Like any legal agreement they tend to get complicated and sometimes bad companies try to exploit that. For example Nvidia recently tried to include a clause which said:

that lead to the press leaking the NDA contract and making a scandal out of it. In the full text of the NDA the sentence continues and is not as bad as it sounds.

That doesn't sound very friendly for developing open source community driven Android builds like like lineageos and custom room support. Correct me if I'm wrong...

Dave999 2019-02-04 23:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtmaster303 (Post 1553588)
That doesn't sound very friendly for developing open source community driven Android builds like like lineageos and custom room support. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think you are wrong. It’s basically up to the two parties how they want to play. And if both are in agreement I see no issue?

tommo 2019-02-04 23:41

NDA so Samsung don’t copy a qwerty slider

gtmaster303 2019-02-04 23:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1553585)
One question... Have You done any developing/testing for uncoming device/software before?

Is there/here mirror anywhere?

No I have not
But that's what I'm confused about. Is the development access before the device is released or will the NDA stand for any devs that want to get involved post launch? I highly doubt the device will have lineage support at launch but will be impressed if it does.
Will there be free loaner devices post launch? That's what I'm wondering. I guess you kinda answered my question, thanks for that

gtmaster303 2019-02-04 23:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommo (Post 1553590)

As bad as that sounds, it would probably be a good thing...

gtmaster303 2019-02-05 00:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1553576)
Aside that they are very busy, he is not responsible to you to give you answers on these things. Try asking the same questions to Samsung or Apple. I wonder what will happen.

Agreed he doesn't owe me (or any of us for that matter) anything. But he is free to do as he wishes, as am I. If I'm frustrated at the lack of detail, and am posting here to uncover as much as I can for the community, isn't that what forums are for?

HtheB 2019-02-05 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by gtmaster303 (Post 1553593)
Agreed he doesn't owe me (or any of us for that matter) anything. But he is free to do as he wishes, as am I. If I'm frustrated at the lack of detail, and am posting here to uncover as much as I can for the community, isn't that what forums are for?

Good luck. Not gonna happen

pichlo 2019-02-05 07:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommo (Post 1553590)

Ehm....
10 chars

Dave999 2019-02-05 08:05

Samsung is 10 years beyond hardware QWERTY. The have their eyes on next gen QWERTY with the new screen tech.

wazd 2019-02-05 08:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1553576)

Jeez, why compare Chen to Samsung or Apple? Why not the God himself? And guess what, if you'll ask Apple's or Samsung's PR team about something - they will highly likely answer you. Probably with nothing particular, but still, an answer is an answer. But who are these peasants compared to Chen, right?

gtmaster303 2019-02-05 14:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1553606)
Good luck. Not gonna happen

https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/st...565472256?s=20
Something is better than nothing
Lots of tweets if anyone wants to read, but long story short, At least we know things are moving along as intended
Updates coming in the next few weeks, probably even including a launch date, but maybe not - launch date is a guess by me. I would think given how close to the vest they're playing at the moment, this phone will probably be released in March, possibly even the latter half of March

endsormeans 2019-02-05 15:19

Technically..
since we can conceive of an abstract as "nothing",
and that it can and cannot exist depending upon the context.
"nothing" is "nothing"
yet ..
"nothing" is still "something"....
So ...everyone may walk way from this with exactly what they were hoping / expecting....

A - "something" which turns out to BE "something"

B - "something" which "seemed" to be "something" but turns out to be "nothing"

or C - "nothing" which was thought to be "something"

mscion 2019-02-05 16:33

4 Attachment(s)
How about this for a plan B. A little duct tape can do wonders!

endsormeans 2019-02-05 16:52

Scotch Tape Surprise.
Love it mscion

tommo 2019-02-05 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1553630)
How about this for a plan B. A little duct tape can do wonders!

Genius !
You should really get everyone to sign a NDA.....

endsormeans 2019-02-05 17:13

hahahahahaa

mscion 2019-02-05 19:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by endsormeans (Post 1553631)
Scotch Tape Surprise.
Love it mscion

Instead of just tape can use a little hinge that attaches to flap and bt keyboard using tape or velcro. Then need to support
phone at angle via clip or secondary hinge or multiple other ways. Depends on flip case.

Dave999 2019-02-05 20:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by mscion (Post 1553644)
Instead of just tape can use a little hinge that attaches to flap and bt keyboard using tape or velcro. Then need to support
phone at angle via clip or secondary hinge or multiple other ways. Depends on flip case.

When will you launch the indiegogo campaign?

Nice to see chen still are ready to go Q1.

mscion 2019-02-05 21:06

Ha ha ha. Yes! If I can get enough backers and raise, say 1/4 million, I might be able to put a kit together containing a hinge or 2 and some duct tape for $50 a shot. Well worth it and much cheaper than the alternative...

PS. It just occured to me that someone might think its a scam! I assure you its not!

madopiuter 2019-05-29 11:06

It do not have removable battery so once your battery die (after 1,5 2,5 years) you have a brick because you can't replace :)

They say that is the current design:

http://prntscr.com/nuv57p

chenliangchen 2019-05-29 11:10

Battery is replaceable, but not removable without unscrew.

More info you can see this thread:

https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/v...tteries-daily/

Fellfrosch 2019-05-29 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1557429)
Battery is replaceable, but not removable.

More info you can see this thread:

https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/v...tteries-daily/

After the Jolla1 Battery situation I have to ask this question:
Are there spare batteries offered or is it a standard battery which we can easily buy elsewhere?

chenliangchen 2019-05-29 11:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fellfrosch (Post 1557431)
After the Jolla1 Battery situation I have to ask this question:
Are there spare batteries offered or is it a standard battery which we can easily buy elsewhere?

There will be spare original battery to purchase, yes. (And with guide for how to replacing them) Both under plan.