maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   News (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Whither the revolution? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=23226)

tso 2008-10-10 16:20

Re: Whither the revolution?

iirc, symbian has a built in limitation, so even if the wifi chip can go master, it cant...

allnameswereout 2008-10-10 20:29

Oops, I think its ad-hoc. But still.

tso 2008-10-10 21:17

indeed. hell, it may even be that this will be or has been fixed, now that nokia seems to have made a new version of S60, S60v5 or something...

qole 2008-10-10 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by allnameswereout (Post 232338)
The NIT cannot be a hotspot because it cannot be put in master mode (AP mode).

Is this a limitation of the driver? Perhaps something that will be overcome if the open source driver becomes mature enough? (I say "if" because after the original code dump of "alpha-quality" code, there has been nothing more done).

Looking more at the slideshow and webpage, it looks like the driver doesn't even support ad-hoc mode, let alone AP mode... :(

allnameswereout 2008-10-13 18:27

Unfortunately I don't know the answer, but I have some insights. I know that USB WiFi sticks often (never?) don't support master/ap mode. The Ralink driver for Linux was recently updated to include master/ap mode (not backported into kernel yet and requires SVN hostapd). The same is true for ZyDAS 1211. Based on Ubuntu WifiDocs/MasterMode it appears its always a driver problem.

I think the new open source driver further work might be up to the community. Think about it, N900 is coming, if we don't want to stick with Linux 2.6.21 then we're now free (and able) to develop a HE.

allnameswereout 2008-10-13 18:34

The framework used by the new driver is the new wireless stack in Linux 2.6.24, called Mac80211. Mac80211 doesn't support ap/master mode yet.

GeneralAntilles 2008-10-13 18:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by qole (Post 232545)
Is this a limitation of the driver? Perhaps something that will be overcome if the open source driver becomes mature enough? (I say "if" because after the original code dump of "alpha-quality" code, there has been nothing more done).

C'mon now, it's just one person, and it's only been a short time. Driver development doesn't happen overnight. Tell me, would you prefer that they had waited another 6-8 months to release a stable, full-featured driver and not have bothered to involve the community at all? :rolleyes: Besides, there's certainly been activity on the mailing list. :)

Now that it is open, the community is more than able to contribute to the development. . . .

ARJWright 2009-10-23 18:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by ARJWright (Post 223458)
PIM on the IT looking at Nokia as it sits currently would be:
- Ovi
- Browser with offline capabilities
- Widgets for the homescreen
- one touch syncing to Ovi for IT and mobile phone

Don't think about PIM being so disconnected from everything else Nokia is doing, you'll miss the point of a device from a services company where the Internet is ubquious ;)

Ahem ;)

Sorry to dig up something old, but I've got a stick in hand that says told ya somewhere aronud here.