maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   NeoFremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   the Fremantle Porting Task Force, or "how to run maemo on Neo900" (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=91308)

szymeczek34 2013-09-18 16:27

I never had to lick my fingers using anyones iphone, however n900 resistive screen is sensitive enough that I wouldnt even bother trying to put a capacitive one.

witheld 2013-09-18 16:30

Re: the Fremantle Porting Task Force, or "how to run maemo on Neo900"

Quote:

Originally Posted by electroaudio (Post 1375089)
where you have to lick your fingers everytime before you touch the screen for it to react.

I'm sorry what.
I'm just gonna assume this is satrical because this is the only conclusion I can make about this

joerg_rw 2013-09-18 16:37

on topic please!
There's not only a "edit post" button but even a "delete post" option, for completely off-topic posts like the last 2 or 3 (5?) ones. Please consider to use it.
hint: Neo900 thread *might* be the right thread to discuss this, but it already been comprehensively discussed there and got explained that we neither go for new touchpanel nor do we want to, since most of N900 users prefer the accurate precise tolerant-to-any-stylus resistive over any crappy capacitive ts.

nicolai 2013-09-19 08:33

I tested jonwils mce-source the for vibra module and it works.

mce-plugins I tested and seem to work:
led
display
filter-brightness
keypad
vibrator

Missing plugins for mce-source are
accelerometer and homekey.

nicolai

freemangordon 2013-09-19 08:40

@nicolai - are those missing plugins .so files? If yes, what are their names, I will (try to) RE them

jonwil 2013-09-19 08:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolai (Post 1375221)
I tested jonwils mce-source the for vibra module and it works.

mce-plugins I tested and seem to work:
led
display
filter-brightness
keypad
vibrator

Missing plugins for mce-source are
accelerometer and homekey.

nicolai

Can you give me ARM and x86 binaries for these working plugins so I can play with these? (my compile box is down for the count right now for reasons I haven't had the chance to figure out)
Also link me to whatever source tree you are building these from, I have multiple MCE source trees hanging around and I cant remember what I uploaded and where...

pali 2013-09-19 08:47

Just to note: I have patched harmattan MCE with some diablo parts. If you want it I can push my git tree somewhere to gitorious.

jonwil 2013-09-19 09:04

Please do push that.

Given that we will probably never see Fremantle MCE code, using the code we DO have (Diablo and Meego/Harmattan) and disassembly of the Fremantle binaries to produce code that is a drop-in replacement for the Fremantle binaries is probably the best solution for both FPTF/Neo900 and for CSSU.

pali 2013-09-19 09:21

@nicolai: I want to talk with you, can you join to #maemo-ssu ?

nicolai 2013-09-19 09:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by freemangordon (Post 1375223)
@nicolai - are those missing plugins .so files? If yes, what are their names, I will (try to) RE them

/usr/lib/mce/modules/libhomekey.so
/usr/lib/mce/modules/libaccelerometer.so

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonwil (Post 1375224)
Can you give me ARM and x86 binaries for these working plugins so I can play with these? (my compile box is down for the count right now for reasons I haven't had the chance to figure out)

I am at work now.
I can send you the binaries when I am back home.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jonwil (Post 1375224)
Also link me to whatever source tree you are building these from, I have multiple MCE source trees hanging around and I cant remember what I uploaded and where...

The same you used, I think.
http://www.cncmods.net/files/mce.zip
http://repository.maemo.org/rtcomm/p..._1.6.45.tar.gz
https://gitorious.org/meego-middleware/mce

Quote:

Originally Posted by pali (Post 1375225)
Just to note: I have patched harmattan MCE with some diablo parts. If you want it I can push my git tree somewhere to gitorious.

Ok, I'll try to merge my changes with your version.

Quote:

Originally Posted by pali (Post 1375244)
@nicolai: I want to talk with you, can you join to #maemo-ssu ?

I am at work at the moment, no irc

pali 2013-09-19 09:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicolai (Post 1375250)
Ok, I'll try to merge my changes with your version.

I am at work at the moment, no irc

I will wait for you on irc. I worked on MCE and have everyting implemented (needs only testing).

joerg_rw 2013-09-21 10:32

[answering several past off-topic posts that got moved out from this thread to their own ones, as well as a heads-up to any future posts]

every devel is doing whatever she likes. Some seem to like FPTF. Nobody is going to stop them. Of course the experienced and savvy developers we got on maemo always take care to develop software in a way so it is maximum universal and portable, nevertheless you are free to join and take special care about stuff like "fremantle on N9" or whatever is your special interest. Backporting to N900 is not only a natural goal of this project but also an inevitable and valuable intermediate step in development, since for now we don't have any better platform to emulate the Neo900 which is still under development and thus not available yet for real tests.

and now please back on topic! This thread is for devels only, and concerns about porting fremantle that are not at all related to the developers' work, as well as discussions about what's on topic and what's not, or what you think about this project and whether or not you like it, please go to the "concerns" thread linked in post#2. Thanks!
/j

Estel 2013-09-21 17:54

Small suggestion - after moderating "cutwork", those two posts above doesn't make much sense to readers, and rather belong "somewhere" to fremantle-harmattan hybrid thread, IMO.

/Estel

Wikiwide 2013-09-22 12:17

Quick question...
What is going to be done about osso address-book? Is it going to be considered non-crucial functionality?
Good bye before I write something off-topic.
Best wishes.

joerg_rw 2013-09-22 12:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wikiwide (Post 1376045)
Quick question...
What is going to be done about osso address-book? Is it going to be considered non-crucial functionality?
Good bye before I write something off-topic.
Best wishes.

osso-addressbook is considered "compatible", it has no dependencies to any hw-specific bits in OS, thus will "just work", which is the idea behind porting fremantle (apt-get install osso-addressbook; or simply copy the binaries from any N900).
Actually osso-addressbook would most likely even run on a bare bones fremantle ported to GTA04 "in a nightshift", *maybe* without working alarms due to audio diffs.
/j

TomJ 2013-09-24 01:48

To thumb or not to thumb...

As I understand it, the reason for the thumb branch of cssu is it is more memory efficient, and memory is thw big bottleneck on the n900. With more memory and faster swap, is this a problem the Neo900 would face? If so, with a different chipset, would it need to work around different errata?

joerg_rw 2013-09-24 02:22

Neo900 comes with at least twice the amount of RAM. So yes, this is the most remarkable boost of performance in Neo900, largely curing the N900 RAM bottleneck.
For thumb chip errata: not yet evaluated. Either we need same kernel hack and sw-workaround, or the chip is "clean". Either way we will have no new problem with it, at best we have a problem less.
/j

m4r0v3r 2013-09-26 11:09

Dumb question on my part but has Mer been considered? Mer plus Cordia is more or less Maemo, but I've been told Cordia is dead in the water and somebody said that lipstick would be better? But why not take this opportunity to move away from outdated software thats held together by bash scripts from what am told.

ketmar 2013-09-26 11:15

'cause we need working fremantle, not mer, not harmattan, not andriod, not SuperOSXYZ.

m4r0v3r 2013-09-26 11:19

why do you "need", also I couldn't really care less about the other oses you've listed. But I just see this as a better choice since Mer is actively developed especially since Jolla plans to contribute.

ketmar 2013-09-26 11:29

and we need working fremantle on Neo900. not mer, not Another Brave New OS somebody will fork tomorrow. this thread is not the proper place to talk about "let's move to another OS". this is Fremantle Porting Task Force. feel free to start 'Mer Porting Task Force' if you want it.

m4r0v3r 2013-09-26 11:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ketmar (Post 1376911)
and we need working fremantle on Neo900. not mer, not Another Brave New OS somebody will fork tomorrow. this thread is not the proper place to talk about "let's move to another OS". this is Fremantle Porting Task Force. feel free to start 'Mer Porting Task Force' if you want it.

I can't tell if your being serious or trying to troll but the whole point is the user experience and it would be a better user experience in my opinion if it was based on Mer.

ketmar 2013-09-26 11:56

the whole point is to run fremantle on Neo900. period.

dos1 2013-09-26 11:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1376920)
I can't tell if your being serious or trying to troll but the whole point is the user experience and it would be a better user experience in my opinion if it was based on Mer.

The point of porting Fremantle is to provide full compatibility and reuse all quirks and hacks for power management etc.

Of course you're free to run Mer on Neo900. It should be pretty easy, especially after Fremantle gets ported.

m4r0v3r 2013-09-26 12:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by dos1 (Post 1376922)
The point of porting Fremantle is to provide full compatibility and reuse all quirks and hacks for power management etc.

Of course you're free to run Mer on Neo900. It should be pretty easy, especially after Fremantle gets ported.

I understand that but will we be limited to the 2.6x kernel or would be able to use 3.x. I mean even the N9 was stuck on 2.6 for some reason.

dos1 2013-09-26 12:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1376924)
I understand that but will we be limited to the 2.6x kernel or would be able to use 3.x. I mean even the N9 was stuck on 2.6 for some reason.

There is ongoing effort to get 3.1x kernels working with stock Fremantle, will all stuff from Nokia 2.6 kernel forward-ported. It will take some time of course. Join #maemo-ssu, that's where most of this stuff happens.

m4r0v3r 2013-09-26 12:13

thanks ill take a look

ashish 2013-10-09 23:01

is there any expected availability date for the boards? i have a spare n900 i could try stuff on.

rahulalankar 2013-10-10 06:27

Sir,
I need to upgrade my nokia n900 into Neo900, because i'm facing the problem with my phone IMEI, so that's why i need this urgently. Please tell me when will i get the Neo 900 board for my N900. I'm from India and ready to install this board on my N900 Nokia phone.
you can mail me on rahulalankar@gmail.com
for any help regarding my phone

joerg_rw 2013-10-10 06:47

please check the Neo900 thread for all hardware related questions. In short we're not expecting to have first prototypes this year and from prototypes til "mass production" it will take another few months. Please don't answer on this post in this thread, head over to Neo900 thread

Thanks
jOERG

FatPhil 2013-10-10 09:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by m4r0v3r (Post 1376924)

The kernel has changed enormously. Vast swathes of low level functionality simply will not work without heavy kernel hacking. Many of the Nokia n900 kernel drivers simply will not work, or maybe even build, on a more modern kernel. Much of the work might be to put back old kernel interfaces, or even bugs, for userspace compatibility too. Selecting the best kernel to use is a very difficult task.

[OT: N9 stuck on .32, because that was absolutely current when we were working on it. Early N9 work was done on .29, as .32 didn't even exist yet. I tried to persuade them to let me move forwards to .33, as that was also LTS, but, even though the .29->.32 migration was described as the cleanest kernel migration ever in any of the projects, they were too scared to permit another one, as we were doing too many invasive things with the kernel, and they were risk-averse.]

freemangordon 2013-10-10 13:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by FatPhil (Post 1379770)
The kernel has changed enormously. Vast swathes of low level functionality simply will not work without heavy kernel hacking. Many of the Nokia n900 kernel drivers simply will not work, or maybe even build, on a more modern kernel. Much of the work might be to put back old kernel interfaces, or even bugs, for userspace compatibility too. Selecting the best kernel to use is a very difficult task.

[OT: N9 stuck on .32, because that was absolutely current when we were working on it. Early N9 work was done on .29, as .32 didn't even exist yet. I tried to persuade them to let me move forwards to .33, as that was also LTS, but, even though the .29->.32 migration was described as the cleanest kernel migration ever in any of the projects, they were too scared to permit another one, as we were doing too many invasive things with the kernel, and they were risk-averse.]

For sure there are lots of changes in the kernel, but I see no reason why we shouldn't even try. After all we have KP and git bisect as a reference if something doesn't work.

The upstreaming efforts of important parts of N900 drivers seem to finally give fruits[0,1], and if we manage to do it right, with the incoming DT n900 will be supported upstream for as long as OMAP3 is supported IIUC.

If I correctly understand the kernel code, clock and regulator frameworks should give the same if not better results in power management. And if it is worse somewhere, well, we still have that reference ^^^ :)

I am not saying it is easy (it took me a month and a bisect 3.5<->3.8 to find why SSI doesn't work with linux >=3.7 ) but I feel it worth's the time if we manage to have fremantle on top of a recent kernel at the end.

So far we have fremantle booting on top of 3.12rc1 with the following HW working - DSP, DSS2(though there are some problems with the framebuffer), SSI(modem+GPS), SGX (with stock n900 drivers and HW acceleration), touchscreen(disabling doesn't work), bluetooth, wifi, keyboard, most of the sensors and LEDs, charging, HSMMC, etc.

Cameras doesn't work (drivers are loaded but no image could be captured) as is audio (no sound but the driver loads)

We just lack the manpower to speedup the porting process ;)

[0] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/10/6/127
[1] https://lkml.org/lkml/2013/9/8/33

EDIT:
I talk n900 here, as I have no other piece of HW to test fremantle with recent kernels :)

ketmar 2013-10-10 14:01

great news!

jonwil 2013-10-11 14:12

I have been investigating the pulseaudio stuff and I have yet to figure out just whats going on in pulseaudio-nokia or how we can get module-nokia-voice to do what we need it to for the cellular modem audio.

One idea suggested was to pretend that the Option modem audio was actually VoIP. What is unknown is:
1.How pulseaudio-nokia-voice is told "hey this is cellular audio, please pass it through the cmtspeech path"
2.What we need to do to the Fremantle system so that the stock dialer (when making a phone call through telepathy-ring) wont trigger anything that causes the cmtspeech path to activate and will instead feed all its audio through the VoIP path.
and 3.How the audio is processed (in the VoIP path and the cmtspeech path), whether the cmtspeech path does processing the VoIP path does not (and whether that processing is processing we need) and whether any processing that gets done (in either path) that (due to processing done by the Option modem) is processing we dont need (or worse, is going to get in the way)

There are also questions about whether there is anything in the pulseaudio blobs that is somehow dependent on the specifics and specifications of the audio hardware of the N900 (audio chip, speaker amplifier, speakers, headphone amplifier, FM transmitter, microphone, bluetooth hardware, FM receiver or otherwise) and whether using different parts in that situation will have issues.

joerg_rw 2013-10-12 00:30

a nice (though dusty and aged) page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_Maemo

jonwil 2013-10-12 01:10

Quote:

Originally Posted by joerg_rw (Post 1380090)
a nice (though dusty and aged) page: http://wiki.maemo.org/Free_Maemo

Yeah its nice although I dont think there is any info on that page that isn't covered by http://wiki.maemo.org/Fremantle_closed_packages

kingoddball 2013-10-27 21:31

Has anyone done any testing on hardware?
Could someone provide me with a Maemo uImage?? I do not have my build environment anymore, need to redo it.

If you have any files you want tested, let me know, Just need a kernel (uImage)

I have taken a run at getting Maemo (from a nand dump) to run on at DM3730. I could not get the kernel to boot (zImage), I was using boot scripts from Ubuntu. Kernel >=3.0

Device is Open Pandora 1GHZ. Good device and fully open (Graphics drivers are closed IIRC).

Device Specs:
DM3730 @1 GHz with u-boot, HWKB, touch screen @ 800*480 I can test on. (RAM is at 512MB, but no real diff.)

Edit: I'm going to work on bringing the Pre-Alpha over, I didn't want to use that (SDK). Will try get Pre-Alph to boot on Pandora and then go from there...

freemangordon 2013-10-27 23:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingoddball (Post 1382809)
Has anyone done any testing on hardware?
Could someone provide me with a Maemo uImage?? I do not have my build environment anymore, need to redo it.

If you have any files you want tested, let me know, Just need a kernel (uImage)

I have taken a run at getting Maemo (from a nand dump) to run on at DM3730. I could not get the kernel to boot (zImage), I was using boot scripts from Ubuntu. Kernel >=3.0

Device is Open Pandora 1GHZ. Good device and fully open (Graphics drivers are closed IIRC).

Device Specs:
DM3730 @1 GHz with u-boot, HWKB, touch screen @ 800*480 I can test on. (RAM is at 512MB, but no real diff.)

Edit: I'm going to work on bringing the Pre-Alpha over, I didn't want to use that (SDK). Will try get Pre-Alph to boot on Pandora and then go from there...

See my post above, for the "real hardware"

Maybe it is better to join #maemo-ssu and ping me or Pali, as I am not sure what uImage you need, etc. Or you can try to play with the kernel on https://gitorious.org/linux-n900/lin...be382baa82268: and build your own kernel.

In order to boot Maemo with recent kernels, you'll need all the packages from cssu-devel repo, as well as some other fixes.

kingoddball 2013-10-27 23:33

Thanks mate.
All good on the uImage.
I have the kernel, and I have a few of the old ones I made a few years back.
I'm going to start by trying to get the Pre-Alpha to boot on the DM3730 and if I can get to a prompt or better, I'll go from there.

Larswad 2013-11-01 13:34

The N900 has strong similaties to the Commodore 64, it simply refuses to die.
And I like that, sometimes a new machine comes up that just stands out so much that its users never abandon it.
Sorry if I'm off topic here, but I hope you guys will succeed with the hardware work, the porting and not the least the donations.
All respect to the work you put in to the Maemo and N900 community!