maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Hildonized Mypaint for 2008 OS (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16079)

mooler 2008-04-05 05:41

Re: Hildonized Mypaint for 2008 OS

this app reminds me of Bob Ross. Lets paint some happy places.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Ross

anders_gud 2008-04-05 07:42

Update: mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb released!

Changelog:
Improved Hildonization: Implemented dbus-service registration (now you get nice feeback when the application is loading, and we can use dbus callbacks in the future)
Temporary reduced zoom levels to avoid memory related crashes when working on large canvases (Thanks Pupnik!)

ToDo:
We have to make hardware shortcuts and statusbar visibility configurable without hardcoding them in drawwindow.py (maybe a file in ~/.mypaint)

Cheers!
Anders

unique311 2008-04-05 14:51

so the left side of the canvas i need to press alittle harder to get a stroke.
am i the only one with this problem.
also it only happens when i use the stylus.
when i use my fingers it works fine.

Help me Howard...

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders_gud (Post 165362)
Update: mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb released!

Changelog:
Improved Hildonization: Implemented dbus-service registration (now you get nice feeback when the application is loading, and we can use dbus callbacks in the future)
Temporary reduced zoom levels to avoid memory related crashes when working on large canvases (Thanks Pupnik!)

ToDo:
We have to make keyboard shortcuts and statusbar visibility configurable without hardcoding them in drawwindow.py (maybe a file in ~/.mypaint)

Cheers!
Anders

unique311 2008-04-05 15:02

1 Attachment(s)
here is a screenie of the problem i'm having...
so i notice its just that area now that i need to press on really hard to get the stroke to show.
left hand side.
looks like a shape.

Bundyo 2008-04-05 15:05

Looks like a hardware problem :(

Karel Jansens 2008-04-05 15:14

Again -- and ad nauseam : Is this an ITOS2008-only program, or can it be run on 2007?

unique311 2008-04-05 15:16

nah
mtpaint works fine.
all the other sketch apps i have work fine also.

I thought it was hardware at first but its not.
in window mode the same thing happen...
just the shape is different.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bundyo (Post 165437)
Looks like a hardware problem :(

unique311 2008-04-05 15:18

did i mention when i use my finger.
it the problem doesn't exist.

qwerty12 2008-04-05 15:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 165443)
Again -- and ad nauseam : Is this an ITOS2008-only program, or can it be run on 2007?

Why not just try installing it? If you don't have any dependency problems listed, then it should work.

anders_gud 2008-04-05 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by unique311 (Post 165446)
did i mention when i use my finger.
it the problem doesn't exist.

Mine is a little like that too, it can be solved by fine-tuning the brushes...
Try to start MyPaint from xterm and enable debug output - then watch the pressure values. Adjust the pressure values accordingly.

Also - I think I saw a thread about new findings regarding the amount of pressure one should apply when recalibrating the screen....

RogerS 2008-04-05 15:43

A couple matters:

- I don't see any way to start a new drawing except to quit and restart the program — with no New command and no Save As..., how do you say "Done with this, now for something new!"?

- The tutorial mentions that tooltips display in the Brush Settings dialog when the mouse is positioned over the label. Any way to activate these?

Thanks.

Btw, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to display when I launch the program. Then, sometime later, they show up. Don't know what that's about.

Roger

ArnimS 2008-04-05 16:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 165443)

Here you go. This is anders_gud's build 3 bult for bora. I had to change /usr/lib/python2.3 to python2.5. Otherwise no changes or performance enhancements.

http://pupnik.de/bora/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb

anders_gud 2008-04-05 16:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerS (Post 165460)
- I don't see any way to start a new drawing except to quit and restart the program — with no New command and no Save As..., how do you say "Done with this, now for something new!"?

I tend to just Clear and Save, as one always gets the dialog... I'd like incremental numbering as an option.

Quote:

- The tutorial mentions that tooltips display in the Brush Settings dialog when the mouse is positioned over the label. Any way to activate these?
You are right, I haven't noticed that they are missing... I guess it is a Matchbox (mouse support) issue?

Quote:

Btw, the keyboard shortcuts don't seem to display when I launch the program. Then, sometime later, they show up. Don't know what that's about.
Always there for me...

Cheers!
A

ArnimS 2008-04-05 16:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerS (Post 165460)
A couple matters:

Thanks.

Roger

1) Use file-clear to clear the canvas

2) There are no mouse-over tooltops with stylus based devices, since you click as soon as you move the mouse.

Karel Jansens 2008-04-05 17:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 165473)
Here you go. This is anders_gud's build 3 bult for bora. I had to change /usr/lib/python2.3 to python2.5. Otherwise no changes or performance enhancements.

http://pupnik.de/bora/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3_armel.deb

Nah. It installs, with --force-depends, but none of the libs you mentioned in your earlier post have the version number required. Clicking on the app makes it try to start, but bum out after 30 seconds or so.

I tried looking up if newer versions of those libs are available for me, but this f*cking sh*thole of a long entry is still in Application Mangler, so I can't bloody see anything.

anders_gud 2008-04-05 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by Karel Jansens (Post 165492)
Clicking on the app makes it try to start, but bum out after 30 seconds or so.

Probably Python version mismatch...
Try
# ln -s /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/mypaint /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mypaint

Karel Jansens 2008-04-05 17:59

ln: /usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mypaint: No such file or directory

Hmmm...

RogerS 2008-04-05 18:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders_gud (Post 165474)
I tend to just Clear and Save, as one always gets the dialog... I'd like incremental numbering as an option.

So Save really acts as Save As... then.

I've been playing around a lot, and just clearing the screen to discard and start a new drawing. But now and then I'd want to save something -- and I didn't click Save because I didn't want to wipe out the drawing whose name was being used.

If you don't have separate Save and Save As commands, perhaps the command should be renamed.

- Save ... (indicates you're going to get a dialog; really non-standard)
- Save/Save As... (indicates you want this one command for either action)
- Save As... (If there's no Save, it's probably easier to figure out you should use Save As to keep changes than the current situation, where you need to use Save when you really want Save As)

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders_gud (Post 165474)
Always there for me...

I'll see if I can figure out what might trigger the shortcuts' appearance, and maybe that will be the clue as to why they're not showing up when the app is first launched.

Roger

RogerS 2008-04-05 18:27

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 165475)
2) There are no mouse-over tooltops with stylus-based devices, since you click as soon as you move the mouse.

The tutorial seems to indicate that you get the tooltips when the mouse is over the label in Brush Settings.

But of course, clicking the label isn't going to do anything in the Hildonized version (nor in a mouse-based environment for that matter), so ... well, I don't know. Does that help anything?

You say, "There are no mouseover tooltips with stylus-based devices." This makes sense. But do you mean, "It's not practical to have them, so nobody does"? or do you mean, "They're not practical, so the environment doesn't even provide for them"?

If there's no way to get those tooltips to display as tooltips, I wonder if there is some other way to display this info to the new user. What do you think?

Roger

Added later:

I stripped the tooltips from the brushsettings.py file in the source and stuck them into an html file, which others might find useful and perhaps which Anders may wish to add to the tutorial file. I think I have successfully added the (zip) file to this post.

ArnimS 2008-04-05 20:20

Heya,

Well i did some profiling on the program and testing with cflags, so here's anders_gud's latest improvements (dbus) with some of my preferences, and optimized build flags. At least on my tablet, this version feels much more responsive. Please let me know if you agree, or if i am imagining this!

http://pupnik.de/mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon3c_armel.deb (os2008 only)

Re: Karel. I don't know why that bora build put things in python 2.3, so i may have screwed up by renaming it to 2.5.

(edit) Oh, and now i have undo = Ctl-Z (y on german kbd) and redo = Ctl-X. if you prefer Anders keymappings and dislike the banner tips, copy his /usr/share/mypaint/python/drawwindow.py to somewhere else before installing my version, then copy it bak.

(edit2) RogerS: "But do you mean, "It's not practical to have them, so nobody does"?" -Yes. I don't know how they would be implemented. The idea of tooltips is to show context-relevant info on a widget *before* user clicks on it. On the tablet, you can not position the mouse over a widget *without* simultaneously clicking on it. Maybe we could display info on a brush *when* the user clicks on it?

(edit3) Ok i'd just like to describe a couple of 'wish brushes' that would help me out so much..

1) A colorizing brush, that doesn't (strongly) adjust brightness of a region, but pushes chroma values towards the selected color. Note that when adjusting pure white or black, it would also need to adjust overall brightness to be able to make any color change. Not sure how to do this. Reason for wanting this is I have no color painting skills. I see everything in luminance (light, shadows) and sketch as i would with a pencil, but colorizing the image at a later stage would let me make 'paintings' out of the image. To really get 'dreamy' about this, one could implment this in a completely seperate 'chromalayer', which wouldn't adjust the underlying black/white image at all.

2) A shift /pull brush. Also *not easy* but here's the problem it would address. Frequenly I get placement of elements (eyes, nose, mouth) slightly wrong in my image. I'd like a 'shift' brush that would allow me to tap and 'pull' a region by a few pixels in the desired direction. This is also not trivial since the edges of the pulled area would need to remain in-place. I.e. the pull jot stroke pulls the center of the region more strongly in the desired direction than the edges.

anders_gud 2008-04-05 22:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 165552)
Heya,

Well i did some profiling on the program and testing with cflags, so here's anders_gud's latest improvements (dbus) with some of my preferences, and optimized build flags. At least on my tablet, this version feels much more responsive. Please let me know if you agree, or if i am imagining this!

Way to go!!!
Definite improvement with complex brushes, and those banner tips are nice!
Thanks!
Anders

(edit, next morning):
The experimental features (raise/modify stroke) are actually useable now with these optimizations... I wonder if there are other things we can do to make it run even faster..

ArnimS can you implement "raise/modify" and "saving" messages in the banner tips area? Then I'll merge your changes

ArnimS 2008-04-06 09:36

MyPaint 'QuikUI' idea:

Here's a possible design for a minimal UI for quick change of some brush parameters.

http://pupnik.de/mypaint_quikUI_01anim.gif

Tabs are
- Size (1 pixel to 38 pixel diameter in this example)
- Luma / Brightness
- Chroma / Palette (user-selectable?)
- Bottom tab / extra tabs user-configurable? (Opacity, speed etc)

It would be quite quick to tap on a tab and then pull stylus to the desired setting (little movement required).

Karel Jansens 2008-04-06 10:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by ArnimS (Post 165716)
MyPaint 'QuikUI' idea:

Here's a possible design for a minimal UI for quick change of some brush parameters.

http://pupnik.de/mypaint_quikUI_01anim.gif

Tabs are
- Size (1 pixel to 38 pixel diameter in this example)
- Luma / Brightness
- Chroma / Palette (user-selectable?)
- Bottom tab / extra tabs user-configurable? (Opacity, speed etc)

It would be quite quick to tap on a tab and then pull stylus to the desired setting (little movement required).

Similar UI elements work very well in ArtRage.

anders_gud 2008-04-07 21:41

Update:
mypaint_0.5.0-1~hildon5_armel.deb released.

Changelog:
Conform to Debian packaging conventions - Hildon related changes now use dpatch in debian/patches.
Removed statusbar, using Hildon Banners. (hildon_banner_show_information) Thanks Pupnik!

Note! This build does not yet use Pupniks optimized libs - that's the next ToDo.

Cheers!
Anders

Deadpan 2008-04-08 21:48

Okay. So. I have extras enabled. But I can't find Python on the app list.
i go to Maemo.org and try to install it directly, and it says 'Unable to download python2.5-runtime. Application package not found'.
What am I doing wrong here?

*UPDATE: Managed to run it using RedPill mode. :D
Love it... Used it to sketch out a game interface. Can you tell I suck at drawing?

http://chinashop-rodeo.com/wp-conten...08/04/file.png

unique311 2008-04-08 22:45

hey guys...and gals...
give the art thread some love.....
post your screenies there.....por favor.....

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...142#post167142

bluesubaru 2008-04-09 03:52

1 Attachment(s)
What screen is this?

>

unique311 2008-04-14 17:53

well still having issues with the mypaint.....hey anders-gud, you think you can make the same magic of mypaint hildoned happen to the other project similar to mypaint.....

gogh
http://www.goghproject.com/screens/scoundrel.jpg <---screenie
http://www.goghproject.com/ <--- project page

http://www.goghproject.com/downloads.html <--- download page.

the tablet has been on a role with graphics apps.

unique311 2008-04-14 18:00

btw. requirements for gogh

Requirements:

* Python 2.4
* PyGTK 2.8 or greater, compiled with Numeric
* gnome-python
* PyXML

unique311 2008-04-14 18:04

just notice all the requirements are available for maemo..
https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm.../?root=pymaemo
but not sure about the pygtk compiled with numeric...

yerga 2008-04-14 19:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by unique311 (Post 169682)
btw. requirements for gogh

Requirements:

* Python 2.4
* PyGTK 2.8 or greater, compiled with Numeric
* gnome-python
* PyXML

Pygtk is compiled with --disable-numpy: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...mo&view=markup

And gnome-python in maemo is a very limited version.

:(

unique311 2008-04-14 21:22

so that's a no on GOGH...

Quote:

Originally Posted by yerga (Post 169727)
Pygtk is compiled with --disable-numpy: https://garage.maemo.org/plugins/scm...mo&view=markup

And gnome-python in maemo is a very limited version.

:(

qole 2008-04-15 18:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by unique311 (Post 165435)
here is a screenie of the problem i'm having...
so i notice its just that area now that i need to press on really hard to get the stroke to show.
left hand side.
looks like a shape.
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&d=1207407629

Man, your "dead zone" is TINY compared to mine. This might actually explain a lot of the problems I've been having with my touch screen. Perhaps I shouldn't have let my 2 year old colour on the tablet with the stylus gripped in her fist like a digging tool.

Like you, I can use my finger in the "stylus dead zone", but I want to know how to calibrate my touchscreen to fix this stylus issue.

I agree that this looks like a hardware problem that MyPaint is uncovering.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2406/...ae13a567_o.png

awe215 2008-04-15 18:24

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my ‘dead zone’, like other, left side. Note: this doesn't happen in mtpaint!
Note2: I am using an n800 and the latest mypaint.

qole 2008-04-15 18:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by anders_gud (Post 165451)
I think I saw a thread about new findings regarding the amount of pressure one should apply when recalibrating the screen....

I checked out this thread, but their results didn't seem to be very conclusive, and I tried calibrating first with feather-light taps and then with hard presses and it doesn't seem to help either way. I tried using my finger on the calibration screen and that made it worse.

I wonder if there's some setting in "Configuration Editor" that might help this?

Quote:

Originally Posted by awe215 (Post 170172)
Here is my ‘dead zone’, like other, left side. Note: this doesn't happen in mtpaint!
http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1&d=1208283808

Again, your dead zone is tiny compared to mine. The red area on my screen is the GOOD zone, the rest is "dead".

unique311 2008-04-15 18:34

i really don't think this is a hardware problem....
if it was hardware, wouldn't it be just more than mypaint with deadzones..
I tried all the other draw/sketch/paint apps and all of them seem to work properly.
maybe its a problem with touch sensitivity.

All in all I'm happy its isolated to only mypaint...I would be very mad if it was an issue with my tablet.

unique311 2008-04-15 18:35

qole, I feel for you...

qole 2008-04-15 18:48

Interesting. Here's the problem in fullscreen. I scribbled systematically all over the screen, first one way diagonally, then the other way, then in circles. I wonder why the diagonals work in one direction in some areas, and in the other direction in some areas.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2284/...45b8efe4_o.png

I really do believe it is a hardware and/or firmware problem being exposed by MyPaint, because I have had terrible problems with my touchscreen since I upgraded to OS2008. Drawing a solid line in Numpty Physics, for instance, is an exercise in frustration and futility... especially on the left side. MyPaint may just be more pressure sensitive than the other programs.

Are the touch screen grid sensors on the right-hand side, by any chance?

EDIT: According to this thread, Diablo will address a lot of the touchscreen issues. But there has to be some way to boost the pressure readings or something... The brush pressure settings (in opacity and radius) don't seem to make any difference.

Navi 2008-04-15 20:25

1 Attachment(s)
To clarify to onlookers of this thread that are making assumptions about the touch screen, this isn't happening to everyone.

qole 2008-04-15 20:27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Navi (Post 170216)
To clarify to onlookers of this thread that are making assumptions about the touch screen, this isn't happening to everyone.

No, only to fathers of toddlers who keep dropping their devices. :rolleyes:

UPDATE: I logged some of the pressure values, and it looks like the dead areas of the screen are registering speed1, speed2, and stroke values, but they get press=0.000 in this area.

UPDATE2: The pressure values all seem really low, even in that "good" area in the top right corner.. The best I can get is 0.220, and that's dangerously hard. Most of the values (pressing hard) are falling around the 0.18 area.