maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   SailfishOS (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   Proposal for Jolla to use open social networks (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90302)

mikecomputing 2013-06-08 16:24

Re: Proposal for Jolla to use open social networks

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1350549)
Most of them are on IRC, the most geeky form of being social.

Yes, developers are, and they should thats exacly why I love this company.

BUT Developers != marketing people. Marketing people should be used for the masses.

Morpog 2013-06-08 18:52

Wait, you said they shouldn't use social media, but should target the masses.

There is a mismatch in this logic.

Lumiaman 2013-06-08 19:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fuzzillogic (Post 1350546)
So, can you install Android on your "jailbroken" iPhone? The damn thing remains a closed piece of hardware you may borrow from Apple at stupendous costs.

On topic: Jolla should not use current social media as primary communication channel. I understand the need for them to be present on those networks, or at least eventually. But as a company that for the time being aims at the more tech-inclined (and after all, those are the folks which will create the apps..) they should be aware that a large part of that group steers very clear of platforms as facebook, google and twitter.

But open, decentralized social media is an unfortunate mess currently. Yeah, there's diaspora. And appleseed and buddycloud and status.net and ... ,but they all interoperate quite poorly with each other, if at all. Perhaps they could pick one and try to kickstart it. Who knows.

Anyway, the primary communication channel should be their website with Atom/RSS feeds. Put a blog and forum on it (and use OpenID!)

Why would anyone install copycat Android on the iPhone?

juiceme 2013-06-08 21:01

Ah, now I remember a requirement I'd have for the Jolla device.

Up to now people have been posting stuff they want to include to the device, but there's also something I'd like to have the option to uninstall

Consider the N9; it's fairly impossible to uninstall facebook and twitter from the device, if you try to you will get to dependency hell and large parts of UI are broken.

So, I have just removed te icons from desktop, but the applications are still in the device.

Now I would like the Jolla device built up so, that user can uninstall any of the default "Integrated Social Media Applications" if se so wishes, without breaking any functionality of the device.

shmerl 2013-06-09 03:23

Quote:

Anyway, the primary communication channel should be their website with Atom/RSS feeds. Put a blog and forum on it (and use OpenID!)

And Persona too (I like it more than OpenID).

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennypr0fane (Post 1350476)
Talking about Jolla and open social networks (this is not quite what you guys mean, but it fits the thread title as well): I wonder if other platforms can be as tightly integrated into Sailfish as Twitter and Facebook already are. This "social networks are deeply integrated in our cool new platform" typically means there is support for this two and that's it. here

That would be good. I'll probably uninstall FB and Twitter integration as a first step, since I don't use those :)

mikecomputing 2013-06-09 10:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morpog (Post 1350593)
Wait, you said they shouldn't use social media, but should target the masses.

There is a mismatch in this logic.

?? DId I :) ? read again...

mikecomputing 2013-06-09 10:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1350620)

Up to now people have been posting stuff they want to include to the device, but there's also something I'd like to have the option to uninstall

Consider the N9; it's fairly impossible to uninstall facebook and twitter from the device, if you try to you will get to dependency hell and large parts of UI are broken.

So, I have just removed te icons from desktop, but the applications are still in the device.

Now I would like the Jolla device built up so, that user can uninstall any of the default "Integrated Social Media Applications" if se so wishes, without breaking any functionality of the device.

Fully agree that it should be possible uninstall the apps without dependencies problem.

My guess is Harmattan team panicken when they wrote the plugin API and made the dpgs's in "short time".

I don't think facebook/twitter is integrated so stupid in sailfishos.

Morpog 2013-06-09 11:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikecomputing (Post 1350681)
?? DId I :) ? read again...

oops, mixed you up then :)

bennypr0fane 2013-06-12 21:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1350620)

This needs to be brought to Jolla's attention. Freedom to remove stuff (especially stuff like this) is just as important as the freedom to install stuff. Imagine e.g. you couldn't uninstall that pesky Amazon lens from Ubuntu without breaking it. Unthinkable!

bennypr0fane 2013-06-12 21:27

Quote:

But open, decentralized social media is an unfortunate mess currently. Yeah, there's diaspora. And appleseed and buddycloud and status.net and ... ,but they all interoperate quite poorly with each other, if at all. Perhaps they could pick one and try to kickstart it. Who knows.

You know Friendica? It integrates well with a bunch of other services, and it even used to have a Fecbook connector - still has it, but it's not developed anymore, because FB keeps shutting itself off.