maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   is there wifi tethering? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=37723)

jukzh 2010-07-08 20:26

Re: is there wifi tethering?

With Ubuntu you can broadcast you wifi, nevermind tethering, I'm surfing, sshing around my ubase, so geeky!

crabsody 2011-06-13 20:09

This is what I want to do. I have an iPad without 3g. I want to use N900 (which of course got 3g) to provide internet to the iPad. Is that possible in a way?

kolos 2011-06-13 21:22

Should be possible with Joiku Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot. Mobile Hotspot creates Ad-hoc wireless network, so the only question is, if iPad can see it.

I'm using Mobile Hotspot 0.3.4 (from extras-testing) to connect my laptop. There is also version 0.3.5 which is in extras-devel, but this one doesn't work for me.

PathFinder@9GS 2011-06-13 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolos (Post 1028456)
Should be possible with Joiku Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot. Mobile Hotspot creates Ad-hoc wireless network, so the only question is, if iPad can see it.

I'm using Mobile Hotspot 0.3.4 (from extras-testing) to connect my laptop. There is also version 0.3.5 which is in extras-devel, but this one doesn't work for me.

I've used both of them and my iPod can see the network and I'm guessing it would work with iPad too..

phpman 2011-06-13 21:58

I could easily install mobile hotspot with the special kernel, but my camera did not work any more. Had to uninstall the kernel.

Is there a way to get mobile hot-spot AND camera working ?

kolos 2011-06-13 22:04

phpman, what special kernel? Do you think one of enhanced kernels for power users (v42, v46 or v47)? With these kernels camera works.

kolos 2011-06-13 22:09

crabsody, if you are going to install Mobile Hotspot, you will need first to install enhanced kernel.

phpman 2011-06-14 22:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by kolos (Post 1028492)
phpman, what special kernel? Do you think one of enhanced kernels for power users (v42, v46 or v47)? With these kernels camera works.

New attempt with v47.

When opening the camera, I see a little while the camera app, then it crashes with "Operation failed".

So, I cannot get at the same time wifi tethering AND camera.

kolos 2011-06-14 22:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by phpman (Post 1029264)
New attempt with v47.

When opening the camera, I see a little while the camera app, then it crashes with "Operation failed".

So, I cannot get at the same time wifi tethering AND camera.

Do you have installed fcam-drivers and which version?

What you get, if you execute this in xterminal?

Code:

sudo gainroot
apt-cache policy fcam-drivers

Temporal 2011-06-14 23:01

I'm pretty sure this is a known problem that is fixable by reinstalling the drivers. I don't have access to my favorites now, but on the v46 thread this was mentionated lots of times.