maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   New book on Nokia's post0iPhone implosion (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=100553)

bradvesp 2018-11-17 13:37

Re: New book on Nokia's post0iPhone implosion

Maybe they wanted to return to making winter boots?

pichlo 2018-11-17 14:14

Dave, Symbian was more than an OS to Nokia. It was their culture. Their way of life. Their baby. Their... precioussss. And, as juiceme correctly points out, eventually their undoing.

smatkovi 2018-11-17 15:39

the article says nokia is much smaller than in 2008, but i would say it doesn't even exist. what the author may think about is the nokia branded devices from hmd global, but those have nothing to do with nokia, except the model names.

Dave999 2018-11-17 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1550813)
Dave, Symbian was more than an OS to Nokia. It was their culture. Their way of life. Their baby. Their... precioussss. And, as juiceme correctly points out, eventually their undoing.

Well, that’s still not what killed em. But yeah, if you want to make it easy. Then yeah.

But think about it. They had money, position, too many engineers and managers...and you still think an OS is the reason behind the downfall?

catbus 2018-11-17 17:57

Elop did that... Not symbian... Yeah, symbian was allready nearly dead but Elop shoot the final shot and after that was only downhill...

[edit]
Ofcourse Ollila was the Main reason and Most guilty... He chose his successor and big money from M$
[/edit]

juiceme 2018-11-17 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by smatkovi (Post 1550815)
the article says nokia is much smaller than in 2008, but i would say it doesn't even exist. what the author may think about is the nokia branded devices from hmd global, but those have nothing to do with nokia, except the model names.

Still has almost 80000 employees so not totally nonexistent?
And have you checked the stock market, NOK is still traded so that'd prove it exists I think :D

Dave999 2018-11-17 19:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by catbus (Post 1550821)
Elop did that... Not symbian... Yeah, symbian was allready nearly dead but Elop shoot the final shot and after that was only downhill...

[edit]
Ofcourse Ollila was the Main reason and Most guilty... He chose his successor and big money from M$
[/edit]

So. If you removed Elop from the equation they would somehow have succeeded to fix the sinking ship?

peterleinchen 2018-11-17 20:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by juiceme (Post 1550807)
Symbian did

I need to detail a bit more my view.
I would not say Symbian caused the downfall (I really did like to use S60 devices and modding) but the keep holding on it.
At its time it was a nice thing (hard for developer I know , but compare to SFOS developer situation ;)).
With no info on the internals (which we most likely never will get fully) it is really hard to judge...

tortoisedoc 2018-11-17 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by peterleinchen (Post 1550830)
I need to detail a bit more my view.
I would not say Symbian caused the downfall (I really did like to use S60 devices and modding) but the keep holding on it.
At its time it was a nice thing (hard for developer I know , but compare to SFOS developer situation ;)).
With no info on the internals (which we most likely never will get fully) it is really hard to judge...

Im sorry but as a SFOS developer, I find this offensive to say the least.
Saying that Symbian is easier than SFOS is blasphemy right there! There's no way 2 stacks are easier than one!

pichlo 2018-11-17 20:45

Yes, Peter. That's exactly what juiceme said. In just two words ;)

And I totally agree with tortoise. Developing in Symbian was a royal PITA.