maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [ANNOUNCEMENT] Whatsup on Jolla [UPDATED 29-03-2016] (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94689)

coderus 2015-03-04 15:59

Re: Whatsup on Jolla - Alpha preview

S40 have encryption enabled, but not forced for all users.

pagis 2015-03-04 16:17

S40 devices are a minority and will be phased out soon at some point. Meanwhile WA is changing the API, partially to make that period shorter.

Do not get me wrong, I do really appreciate the work from CepiPerez and coderus.

Hariainm 2015-03-04 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by pagis (Post 1463011)
S40 devices are a minority and will be phased out soon at some point. Meanwhile WA is changing the API, partially to make that period shorter.

Do not get me wrong, I do really appreciate the work from CepiPerez and coderus.

You are understimating the number of S40 devices out there, even in 2015

Watchmaker 2015-03-04 16:33

Another possible problem is: will registration work also for former Mitakuuluu users (which used the android protocol)? I recently had to pay the annual 0.89€ fee after my first free year, and I don't know how Whatsapp will react to my trying to register with the old (and subscription-free) symbian protocol. I don't know if Cepi can know this either. We just have to wait and see, I suppose... I won't be the guinea pig, that's for sure :p

HtheB 2015-03-04 16:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Watchmaker (Post 1463013)
Another possible problem is: will registration work also for former Mitakuuluu users (which used the android protocol)? I recently had to pay the annual 0.89€ fee after my first free year, and I don't know how Whatsapp will react to my trying to register with the old (and subscription-free) symbian protocol. I don't know if Cepi can know this either. We just have to wait and see, I suppose... I won't be the guinea pig, that's for sure :p

If you have an unlimited use of Whatsapp account, it will stay that way.

Watchmaker 2015-03-04 17:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by HtheB (Post 1463014)
If you have an unlimited use of Whatsapp account, it will stay that way.

I don't have an unlimited use of whatsapp. That is what I think may cause problems... since from a paying users I'd be trying to become a free-unlimited one. But we can just speculate at this point.

deiv 2015-03-04 18:24

can you share with us the rpm package?
i understand it is on alpha stage but we can do some bug report ...

Leinad 2015-03-04 18:57

as far as i understand, your "payment-method" is not tied to a device or system, it uses the method, you registered your number for the first time.

for example, one who used the "one-time-pay-method" on iPhone when he registered first time does not change to the "yearly-pay-method", when he switches to android.

i used an old Symbian device when my screen was broken and used whatsapp on it whithout problems, this did not change my "payment-method"

asys3 2015-03-04 20:51

Is there a whatsapp daemon running besides the gui frontend that receives the incoming messages ?

I mean do i have to keep whatsapp gui started or in background to get whatsapp notifications?

That would be an very important thing to not have an app running - only perhaps a daemon process.

Would be nice to hear how that piece of the archtecture is or will be realized.

mdosch 2015-03-28 18:59

Hello,

I'd like to test the alpha if it's possible.
Can you provide me the package?