maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   N900 GPS problems: slow to lock or never locks, particularly without data connection (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=34557)

HwKok 2011-07-13 06:42

Re: N900 GPS problems: slow to lock or never locks, particularly without data connection

Hello all,

I always used my GPS and it worked fine, got a fix in a few seconds most of the time.

Nowadays, GPS isn't working anymore. I can't get a fix and the N900 says that there are zero sattelites in view. I tried wit A-GPS on and off. Tried it wit Location-test, with GPS Data, with Nokia Maps, with Sygic...but no signal.

What could this be?

Joseph.skb 2011-07-13 07:40

Re: N900 GPS problems: slow to lock or never locks, particularly without data connection

Quote:

Originally Posted by HwKok (Post 1049969)
Hello all,

I always used my GPS and it worked fine, got a fix in a few seconds most of the time.

Nowadays, GPS isn't working anymore. I can't get a fix and the N900 says that there are zero sattelites in view. I tried wit A-GPS on and off. Tried it wit Location-test, with GPS Data, with Nokia Maps, with Sygic...but no signal.

What could this be?

You are not alone, my friend. I am frustrated and extremely disappointed with my N900 A-GPS capability. It's a toy when it comes to GPS functionality. I have both Ovi-maps and Mappero and both FAILED when I needed it most. I even tried switching on Data, but just couldn't get a lock on the location properly. I was on the highway, not some remote jungle. Giving up hope!!!

jn64 2012-03-08 12:42

I see pretty consistent behaviour with the following test case.

- Configure Internet connections as ALWAYS ASK
- Configure Location NOT to use Network positioning
- Add the Location widget to desktop
- Turn internet connections off
- Power on the Location widget. Or use the GPSData app.
(I dont use Ovi MAPS because its so slow.)

Now, for some reason that I dont understand, N900 is prompting me for Internet connection. WHY? I never asked for network assist. Top priority is to save battery life on long lasting activities.

However, If I then give it the connection, it locks instantly. Again, without any supl.xxx.com connection apparently active. Disconnect after that and hope for the best...no tunnels etc.

Hopefully this helps!

img 2012-11-20 21:27

Set up "supl.google.com" instead of "supl.nokia.com" for A-GPS location server! It worked for me.

sixwheeledbeast 2012-11-20 21:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by img (Post 1296434)
Set up "supl.google.com" instead of "supl.nokia.com" for A-GPS location server! It worked for me.

Most stuff covered here