maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I Have the Worst Phone in the World (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=49591)

etuoyo 2010-04-09 17:27

Re: I Have the Worst Phone in the World

Quote:

Originally Posted by deadmalc (Post 602771)
I would like to point out that talk.maemo.org is a fanboy forum, there is no denying this.
Whilst it shouldn't be the case, you need to be careful with what you title your post.
Your points are IMHO fair enough and would frustrate the hell out of me too, but rather than "I have the worst phone in the world" perhaps "n900 issues driving me insane" would be more politically correct.

And no, it shouldn't have to be this way, but it is....

off-topic seems to be the way to go with threads atm! :mad:

Thanks. This is what I don't understand about this site though. Why must everything be sugar-coated? Why do we have to act like Nokia can do no wrong? If I genuinly feel my N900 is the worst phone in the world why can't I say so? It is not that I just put that thread and then did not explain why. I gave my reasons. Can anyone really tell me with all those problems I have listed that I am not justified in saying I have the worst phone in the world? I even in my post go out of the way to say how great the device is outside of the crappy phone I have.

And for those who have suggested I return my device well it is not that simple. I live in the UK and had no idea when the N900 was coming out. I had been watching youtube videos of it obsessively from August. When it came out in the US I felt I couldn't wait till January or whenever for it to come out in the UK. It was the thanksgiving period in the US and wife and I were thinking of whether to go to the US for the thanksgiving sales. Well what tipped it in favour of going to the US was the possiblity of me getting the N900 early. If I want to return it I have to pay ridiculous courier charges to send it. Then Nokia have to send it back to me in the UK and that raises all sorts of Customs issues. I am also waiting for the new firmware update to see if it helps matters.

As for those saying sell the device that is ridiculous advice on a number of levels. First, did I say anywhere that I was unhappy with the N900? I love Gpodder, the Conversations and most of all Conboy (my life has never been the same due to this wonderful app). Secondly, you are suggesting I sell my $625 device at a huge loss then cough up another $600 for a different device. Nice eh! Thirdly, I am always bragging to everyone how wonderful the N900 is. I of course never mention that I am missing half of my calls on the device. Would be too ashamed to tell those I have been boasting to that I had to sell the device and get something else.

etuoyo 2010-04-09 17:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by slender (Post 602748)
Did you flash both images? Fiasco and vanilla?

Interesting question. What does that mean exactly? I just downloaded the maemo flasher thing and followed the instructions. Not sure about there being two images to flash but I did follow the instructions in the wiki so presumably that would have flashed both images.

mahousaru 2010-04-09 17:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 603193)
As for those saying sell the device that is ridiculous advice on a number of levels. First, did I say anywhere that I was unhappy with the N900? I love Gpodder, the Conversations and most of all Conboy (my life has never been the same due to this wonderful app). Secondly, you are suggesting I sell my $625 device at a huge loss then cough up another $600 for a different device. Nice eh! Thirdly, I am always bragging to everyone how wonderful the N900 is. I of course never mention that I am missing half of my calls on the device. Would be too ashamed to tell those I have been boasting to that I had to sell the device and get something else.

I'd like to apologise if I misunderstood the point of your opening post, but I've read it several times, and when I factor in the title and how you replied how you were expecting the response you got, I can't but still keep reading it in a negative way.

etuoyo 2010-04-09 17:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahousaru (Post 603199)
I'd like to apologise if I misunderstood the point of your opening post, but I've read it several times, and when I factor in the title and how you replied how you were expecting the response you got, I can't but still keep reading it in a negative way.

Well don't know how to make it any clearer. I said the N900 does some wonderful things. I made it clear I was talking about the phone only. I said I was talking about my N900 only and not even N900s in general. I was not trying to be negative. I was being 100% honest. I have been visiting this site enough to know that there is a severe problem with honesty if you are not praising the heck out of N900/Maemo. That is why I said I got the expected responses. However, if you look through the whole thread you will see I have put in tons of thanks to every single person I feel has offered useful advice. That I have not responded to everyone does not all of a sudden mean I was trying to be negative or cause trouble.

johnel 2010-04-09 18:05

Welcome back etuoyo.

It seems like at the slightest provocation, trolls and fanboys swamp the threads with the most ******ed arguments.

The "Is it a phone or computer?" argument was utterly unbelievable.

Something at some point is going to be done - things cannot continue as the they are.

Its also upsetting many long-time members of the board (who are thinking of leaving) - I say don't go and just give up, please stay.

Hopefully persistent offenders will eventually get banned.

mobiledivide 2010-04-09 18:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobber99 (Post 603023)
i agree wholeheartedly with OP.
having had an N800 for 3 years, i knew what i was getting into, and looked forward to the N900. people that say "do your homework" or "read up reviews" don't seem to understand, a lot of these nitpicks weren't unconvered in ANY reviews. phone call comes in, i tap on the green "pick up" button, sometimes i pick up the call, sometimes i don't. it's a crap shoot. if you have too many applications open, you don't get a ringtone when a call comes in (or when an SMS comes in). i mean, come on, these are bugs.

I think that the prevailing opinion in nearly every review I read was that the phone feature was 'half baked'. I too expected it to be a little better than it is but the benefits far outweigh the negatives. I am not saying people shouldn't complain at all. I hate Nokia's handling of all of their platforms apart from s40.

What I do love about this 'phone' is the hardware is so nice and software so open you can literally do anything you want. I used to think performance was too slow, so I overclocked. I hated the transitions so I removed them, I wanted to sync google calender so I installed Erminig.... all of these are community solutions. I now have a near perfect device for my needs. I don't need maemo 6 or meego anymore.

If you ask nicely around here using proper sentences in a calm manner people always help you out. When you don't well....

zoner 2010-04-09 18:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 603196)
I just downloaded the maemo flasher thing and followed the instructions. Not sure about there being two images to flash but I did follow the instructions in the wiki so presumably that would have flashed both images.

Please read the instructions again, they are very good.

The second image is described at the bottom, under "Flashing the eMMC in the N900"

Texrat 2010-04-09 18:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by jobber99 (Post 603023)
a lot of these nitpicks weren't unconvered in ANY reviews. phone call comes in, i tap on the green "pick up" button, sometimes i pick up the call, sometimes i don't. it's a crap shoot. if you have too many applications open, you don't get a ringtone when a call comes in (or when an SMS comes in). i mean, come on, these are bugs.

Since this has only happened to me a couple of times, and only on pre-release firmware, I have to wonder if the service provider might be a factor.

Texrat 2010-04-09 18:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 603213)
Well don't know how to make it any clearer. I said the N900 does some wonderful things. I made it clear I was talking about the phone only. I said I was talking about my N900 only and not even N900s in general. I was not trying to be negative. I was being 100% honest. I have been visiting this site enough to know that there is a severe problem with honesty if you are not praising the heck out of N900/Maemo. That is why I said I got the expected responses. However, if you look through the whole thread you will see I have put in tons of thanks to every single person I feel has offered useful advice. That I have not responded to everyone does not all of a sudden mean I was trying to be negative or cause trouble.

Here's the thing I would suggest though: avoid hyperbole, especially in thread titles. I'll grant that you personalized the problem, but "worst phone in the world" is something that will naturally make zealots defensive. And there have been just so many bashing threads that many are on constant edge here.

I just ask that people think about how those thread titles are going to look and likely be received before committing to them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by etuoyo (Post 603193)
Thanks. This is what I don't understand about this site though. Why must everything be sugar-coated? Why do we have to act like Nokia can do no wrong?

Objectivity != sugarcoating.

And no reasonable person, even detractors here, expect you to "act like Nokia can do no wrong".

It's all about the approach. Rational discourse tends to elicit the same in response. Hyperbole naturally begets hyperbole.

btyers 2010-04-09 19:23

+1 for texrat's comment.

(Hello Texrat..rwb from Jaiku.com)