maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Community (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   N900 device program for maemo.org developers and contributors (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=32951)

ddalex 2009-10-16 16:46

Re: N900 device program for maemo.org developers and contributors

to qgil, because he doesn't get private messages:

It strikes me as grossly unfair that a developer with an application in top 30 downloads for OS2008 doesn't have enough karma to get eligible for the developer discount program, probably because he's not active in the forum. If you want, I'm sure you can see who he is, I'm not gonna name him.

I'm sure that this program is an effort for Nokia in such times, but my back-on-the-envelope calculations shows that this program could've been a lot better targeted at relevant developers in the community, at least as a recognition gesture. I'm not talking about myself, btw !

luca 2009-10-16 16:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hogwash (Post 348453)
This is one heckuva generous offer by Nokia.

Even too generous: I qualify and I don't think my contributions to the community and/or maemo are really significant.

sachin007 2009-10-16 16:58

I registered with forum nokia. I just wanted to confirm before i send the e-mail. Is the forum nokia id same as the forum nokia username?

Thanks

Texrat 2009-10-16 16:59

ddalex, Quim also said earlier not to get too hung up on the karma-driven discounts. Maybe there's more to come...

sjgadsby 2009-10-16 16:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddalex (Post 348669)
to qgil, because he doesn't get private messages

Yes, qgil has said as the public face of Nokia to the community, he feels conversations with him should be public.

Quote:

It strikes me as grossly unfair that a developer with an application in top 30 downloads for OS2008 doesn't have enough karma to get eligible for the developer discount...
In another thread, it was proposed by a community member that the community nominate and vote for core contributors who do not have enough karma to be included in the device program. qgil accepted this and more than once asked the community to select (I believe) three names. No one in the community took action.

sachin007 2009-10-16 17:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by luca (Post 348676)
Even too generous: I qualify and I don't think my contributions to the community and/or maemo are really significant.

Me too. But i have tried helping many newbies with thier questions and i have been around maemo.org since 2006. This incentive really increases my desire to help more and more people with thier questions on maemo.org.

Thank you nokia.

penguinbait 2009-10-16 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles (Post 348652)
Is the $450 for US customers confirmed or just the whole Euro conversion thing we already did with the N900 retail price? It'd be rather unfortunate if that does turn out to be the discounted price. $200 isn't very much off of Nokia USA's $650 pre-order price and it's even less when comparing to the street price we see on places like Amazon and Buy.com.

As far as I know it is not confirmed, the 449 is the Euro conversion.

However when I login to forum nokia, I do not have the n900, I do however have and n75 I could buy for 240Euro and some software and services all in Euro. So my assumption is it will show up at 300Euro as the sale price, as the email states? But since its not there nobody can confirm. I believe Quim mention he inquired about the US price?

Nathan 2009-10-16 17:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddalex (Post 348669)
to qgil, because he doesn't get private messages:

It strikes me as grossly unfair that a developer with an application in top 30 downloads for OS2008 doesn't have enough karma to get eligible for the developer discount program, probably because he's not active in the forum. If you want, I'm sure you can see who he is, I'm not gonna name him.

I'm sure that this program is an effort for Nokia in such times, but my back-on-the-envelope calculations shows that this program could've been a lot better targeted at relevant developers in the community, at least as a recognition gesture. I'm not talking about myself, btw !

I'm not who he is refering to either -- but I agree; I think the targetting sucks. I think what Nokia is doing is Great, don't get me wrong.
But I think the device should have been better targetted to developers who have done more to foster the community.

It appears those who are really active on the forums tend to have the better karma ratings. I know 80% of my karma is forum related and I'm not a heavy poster. I try to handle tech support type threads; not chit-chat; I don't have time to chit-chat -- I have developing to do. ;-)

I have to admit I was hoping to make the cut; but at 167 karma; I am short 33 karma. Not that I would be picked in a targeted fashion, either -- it seems a shame that popular application devs don't get the device.

Nathan

ddalex 2009-10-16 17:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjgadsby (Post 348693)
In another thread, it was proposed by a community member that the community nominate and vote for core contributors who do not have enough karma to be included in the device program. qgil accepted this and more than once asked the community to select (I believe) three names. No one in the community took action.

I never saw this thread, tell me where should I post the nomination, and I'll do it on Monday.

Texrat 2009-10-16 17:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 348699)
But I think the device should have been better targetted to developers who have done more to foster the community.

Again: developers are not being ignored.