maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Development (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   footify alpha, a Spotify client based on despotify (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=52917)

Joorin 2010-06-05 23:08

Re: footify alpha, a Spotify client based on despotify

Quote:

Originally Posted by florian (Post 701220)
the client works a lot smoother now that the playlists are cached. How are they refreshed?

As I wrote above, playlist handling is atomic, as in if you change your playlists in any way, they will all be downloaded again.

Quote:

For playback: It still takes "ages" (anything between 30 seconds and 5 minutes) to start the first track. Once that one is started, the playing is fast. No long waits between tracks, even when skipping.
I did a field test earlier tonight (trying to outstage a HTC), and with low bitrate and 3G connection, it took some 20 seconds to fill the buffer in despotify and start playing.

This includes getting a reply to the Play command. There is no way to avoid this delay and this is the time it takes from double tapping a song and changing to the Playing view. My gut feeling is that the Spotify people have been changing the server a bit making initial commands a bit slower. When your playlist is "at the front" in the server end, things work with less delays.

Thank you for the feedback. This version was a bit rushed so I'm glad that it works well (apart from load times).

windii 2010-06-07 09:34

Thank you for the work on this, really been missing spotify on my n900.

Footify is working OK most of the time, but it hangs occasionally. Usually at the end of a song but I've also had it hang in the middle of a song. I'm using the FM transmitter to get it on the radio at work, and it's good enough :)

Any chance of implementing a sorting function for the playlists? Bit messy trying to find songs atm.

:)

sdstrowes 2010-06-07 09:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekojo (Post 698160)
You can request to become the maintainer if you like. There have been some cases where package maintainership has been handed over.

Of course with libdespotify it's a bit complicated as the API changed between r488 and r508. Updating to r508 breaks the older (less maintained) clients or there needs to be some modifications to the library to support the old API.

The main change to watch out for is 'despotify_init_client', which adds an additional argument for caching tracks locally. I updated yaspot to take this into account: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...452#post672452

jacobkorf 2010-06-07 12:12

Super app.
Some additions to add:
- after selecting a playlist, is it possible to go back to the playlist view?
- When logging in two times, the playlists will be added to the original playlists, which means when you have 3 playlists, a copy will be made which makes 6 playlists to select from.
- I occasionally get a crash when listening to the third song in a playlist.
- Option to add songs to a playlist
- A playlist which shows all the favourite songs (starred)?

Btw, buffering works perfect.
- Low bitrate works flawlessly, nice when driving in car, and having only 2g connection.

Thanks!!!

Joorin 2010-06-07 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by windii (Post 703202)
Thank you for the work on this, really been missing spotify on my n900.

Footify is working OK most of the time, but it hangs occasionally. Usually at the end of a song but I've also had it hang in the middle of a song. I'm using the FM transmitter to get it on the radio at work, and it's good enough :)

Hangs as in stops being responsive and you need to restart it or it just stops playing for a while and then continues?

Quote:

Any chance of implementing a sorting function for the playlists? Bit messy trying to find songs atm.

:)
Sorting of the playlists depends on sorting in GtkTreeViews and this is a bit complicated. So, not impossible but it will not be added very soon.

Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

Joorin 2010-06-07 19:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacobkorf (Post 703390)
Super app.
Some additions to add:
- after selecting a playlist, is it possible to go back to the playlist view?

Swipe your finger across the screen from right to left.

Quote:

- When logging in two times, the playlists will be added to the original playlists, which means when you have 3 playlists, a copy will be made which makes 6 playlists to select from.
The client is not done to allow more than one log in. This possibility will go away soon. Why do you want to log in several times?

Quote:

- I occasionally get a crash when listening to the third song in a playlist.
Very odd. Is it the same song in the same playlist? Do you know if the song is playable with another client?

Quote:

- Option to add songs to a playlist
Despotify doesn't offer any possibility to change playlists (other than renaming them). If saving songs in playlists is added to despotify, I'll add it to footify.

Another possibility is to have a list that's only saved on your device. That way you can remember nice songs when you're away from your computer and add them to a playlist when you get back.

Quote:

- A playlist which shows all the favourite songs (starred)?
What makes a song "a favourite"? That you play it often?

Quote:

Btw, buffering works perfect.
- Low bitrate works flawlessly, nice when driving in car, and having only 2g connection.

Thanks!!!
Thank you for the feedback. I'm glad you like it.

windii 2010-06-07 22:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joorin (Post 704057)
Hangs as in stops being responsive and you need to restart it or it just stops playing for a while and then continues?

Hangs as in stops being responsive, need to restart, sometimes whole OS (although that may have been me being impatient). "Footify has stopped responding" and if i restart the program I can't log in again for some time.

Joorin 2010-06-07 22:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by windii (Post 704383)
Hangs as in stops being responsive, need to restart, sometimes whole OS (although that may have been me being impatient). "Footify has stopped responding" and if i restart the program I can't log in again for some time.

Ok. I'll have to look into that. I've spent quite some time trying to get rid of all thread issues but this sounds like there is, at least, one left.

If the application hangs, you can always use Ctrl+backspace to get to the task view. If you click the close icon a couple of times, the window manager will pick up on this and ask you if you want to terminate footify.

There should never be reason to reboot your device.

Not being able to log in again after a "crash" is all about how the Spotify servers handle users. Since you didn't exit the application in the proper way, the Spotify servers still view you as logged in. If you then try to log in again (from the same IP most likely), you might get rejected. As far as I know, this is just a matter of waiting a few minutes and then it works again.

Billy Broms 2010-06-08 20:29

First,. thanks for all the time and work you put in to the footify client, making it better. How ever I'm wondering if you could implement two features that I'm really missing. To be able to load whole albums so it play all songs in the correct order and also being able to load artist would be nice. Thanks again!

nastro 2010-06-08 23:41

I'd also like to add some thanks, Joorin - this is the n900 application i've been waiting for - please keep up your excellent work!