maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [BETA RELEASE] PhoneME Advanced (Java Mobile) (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=81969)

Arthuro_Adam 2012-02-07 21:27

Re: [TESTING] PhoneME Advanced (Java Mobile) prototype release

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] (Post 1161853)
Tested new version:
Default font is slightly smaller, works better for medium fonts but still jerky - I have not tried this overclocked yet.
Fullscreen and rotation now automatically redraw the screen to fit :)
Very nice work.

File upload and download is supported:
download only seems to work in Opera Mini 4.2.. in v6.5 download fails
upload works fine - access to MyDocs and SDCard

Testing now :)

DavyP 2012-02-07 21:45

Another question for N9xx and N9 owners.

I know N900 and N950 have a physical keyboard, but the N9 has not. Can both devices use a built-in virtual/soft keyboard for text input? I tried the Notes application on the emulator, and on N9 I get this grey bar that people have been complaining about, with a + sign on it which activates a virtual keyboard. On N900 I don't get this virtual keyboard.

I am just asking because I see these requests for copy-paste functionality and I am wondering whether lack of input support is the reason. On Windows Mobile and Android I was able to integrate the built-in virtual keyboard into the phoneME ports.

Davy

DavyP 2012-02-07 21:52

Quote:

Tested new version:
Default font is slightly smaller, works better for medium fonts but still jerky - I have not tried this overclocked yet.
Fullscreen and rotation now automatically redraw the screen to fit :)
Very nice work.

Yes I reduced the font size. The reason why font drawing could be slow is because there are a lot of bitmap operations going on to render text. PhoneME renders all graphics etc. on a 16-bit RGB array of pixels. I then convert this array to a QImage() and then to a QPixmap() and ask Qt4 to render the text. Unfortunately, by doing so, the QPixmap() becomes a 32-bit RGB pixmap which I then have to convert back to 16-bit before I copy the raw RGB pixel array back to phoneME. Obviously there is a lot of overhead.

Hopefully I can find another faster way to have Qt4 render text on a 16-bit RGB buffer without all this copying and transformation.

Quote:

File upload and download is supported:
download only seems to work in Opera Mini 4.2.. in v6.5 download fails
upload works fine - access to MyDocs and SDCard

Yes, I have not looked what Opera Mini does different v6.5. It is on my todo list.

Davy

Arthuro_Adam 2012-02-07 21:53

It's working on N9, status bar and grey bar disappeared. It's great, but laggy. Download, rotate not working. If you click on landscape mode, than it's rotate to the wrong side (NOKIA logo on the down not the top).

Thanks for your work, it's get better day by day.

If I turn off the Opera keyboard, I can't get any virtual keyboard on N9.

DavyP 2012-02-07 22:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthuro_Adam (Post 1161880)
It's working on N9, status bar and grey bar disappeared. It's great, but laggy. Download, rotate not working. If you click on landscape mode, than it's rotate to the wrong side (NOKIA logo on the down not the top).

Thanks for your work, it's get better day by day.

If I turn off the Opera keyboard, I can't get any virtual keyboard on N9.

The grey bar is gone because I started the application in full screen. I think the grey bar is intended as a status bar from which you could activate a virtual keyboard (if I compare with the Notes app). Since with fullscreen it is now hidden, we cannot pop up a virtual keyboard anymore (if I would now how to enable it). I had to do something similar for Android devices without a physical keyboard. The problem was that phoneME text input fields are different from Android input fields (that would automatically pop up the virtual keyboard), but on Android I managed to enforce popping up the virtual keyboard even if there was no Android textfield widget being displayed. I have not found a way how to do this on N9.

About the rotation: This is Opera rotating in the wrong way, not phoneME. There is not much I can do about this :-(. Actually, on both the N9 and N900 emulators phoneME always runs in landscape mode it seems.

Davy

Arthuro_Adam 2012-02-07 22:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyP (Post 1161889)
The grey bar is gone because I started the application in full screen. I think the grey bar is intended as a status bar from which you could activate a virtual keyboard (if I compare with the Notes app). Since with fullscreen it is now hidden, we cannot pop up a virtual keyboard anymore (if I would now how to enable it). I had to do something similar for Android devices without a physical keyboard. The problem was that phoneME text input fields are different from Android input fields (that would automatically pop up the virtual keyboard), but on Android I managed to enforce popping up the virtual keyboard even if there was no Android textfield widget being displayed. I have not found a way how to do this on N9.

About the rotation: This is Opera rotating in the wrong way, not phoneME. There is not much I can do about this :-(. Actually, on both the N9 and N900 emulators phoneME always runs in landscape mode it seems.

Davy

Yes, the portrait mode is wrong, but it's nothing. I don't need any virtual keyboards, the opera's keyboard is perfect for me.

I think, for the N9 there is two problem left, but you know both of them (speed and download).

DavyP 2012-02-07 23:41

I tweaked the text rendering a bit and uploaded new builds (dated 2012-02-08):

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo

Can you check if you see some improvement in the text rendering speed?

I avoided all of the pixel buffer copying and rgb depth transformation. If it is still too slow, it is Qt4 itself that is slow at text rendering ....

Davy

munozferna 2012-02-08 05:24

Quote:

Originally Posted by DavyP (Post 1161914)
I tweaked the text rendering a bit and uploaded new builds (dated 2012-02-08):

http://davy.preuveneers.be/phoneme/?q=node/10#maemo

Can you check if you see some improvement in the text rendering speed?

I avoided all of the pixel buffer copying and rgb depth transformation. If it is still too slow, it is Qt4 itself that is slow at text rendering ....

Davy

I did not test the previous version but the last one seems to be fast enough using Opera. Also the fullscreen trick works nice! Thanks a lot. Regarding the input, I was unable to get the VKB appearing on the microemu-demo. Maybe the people from #maliit can help you figure it out

[DarkGUNMAN] 2012-02-08 08:01

Tested v08-02:
MUCH faster! No delayed response. Scrolling in OM4.2 and 6.5 is much improved, menus are quick with no delay - it it is very usable now at Medium font settings :)

DavyP 2012-02-08 08:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by [DarkGUNMAN] (Post 1161992)
Tested v08-02:
MUCH faster! No delayed response. Scrolling in OM4.2 and 6.5 is much improved, menus are quick with no delay - it it is very usable now at Medium font settings :)

Great to hear my efforts paid off :-). When time permits, I will look into the JSR 75 (file download) issue, as it seems Opera Mini is one of the more popular midlet applications on the N900.

Davy